shape
carat
color
clarity

So we have a setting, just need a 5mm sapphire

paiger81

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

This is my first post, but I've stalked these boards for about a month and still need a little bit of help. FI got my setting at Robbins Bros about a month ago (he did 0 research into them, sigh), thankfully he didn't like their diamonds and presented it to me sans final stone. Like many others, I'm not a diamond girl, and we both like the look of brighter/lighter Ceylon Sapphires. We live in Houston and sadly a lot of the jewelers we've been to have dismissed us with either "Oh, no, that setting will only look good with a diamond" (pic hopefully attached, need a 5mm round center stone)or they say we can't get a quality sapphire for our price (FI would like to keep the stone around $1000). We had one jeweler say we should just to go the International Gem & Jewelry Show coming next month and pick out a sapphire. Is that the best option for us? We really didn't expect it to be this big of an issue. Any advice on good sapphire dealer in our price range?

Thanks in advance for your help!

_10323.jpg

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
You can DEFINITELY get a 5mm for WELL under $1000! That is total poppycock! Actually, it should cost you much, much, much less than that.

5.3mm darker but gorgeous - http://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-colored-gemstone/royal-blue-sapphire

Dan Stair often has nice smaller sapphires that are very well-priced. I don't really get his pics, but he has a great reputation around here. He has a couple things that might work up now, but worth e-mailing him for sure!
http://customgemstones.com

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
a couple more:
http://wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/10877/15683 - I love Montana sapphires - right here from the USA!
http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html - on the right hand column, 7th row, you could get two 5.3mm for $888 and have the other put in the your wedding band, a pendant, etc...

look through the recommended vendors and email around. You can find a real zinger for $1000 or find something still very pretty for a lot less.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Also, not totally sure on your preferences or on the return policy, but if you wanted to go for a bigger center stone, you could do something like these stones, which are about the same diameter as a 1 ct diamond:
http://www.mastercutgems.com/preview.php?cat=251&id=7039 $880
http://www.mastercutgems.com/preview.php?cat=301&id=7046 $900
and a setting like this:
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1184 $1325
(or many others from that site or from Beverly K, look at Pearlmans)

and wind up with a a more substantial, possibly higher quality (I can't tell from the photo) ring for $2000 - $3000 total!

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
i will let the "pros" suggest sapphires for you but i suspect you will be fine with your budget and size constraints.

as for the gem fair, GENERALLY, i think they are a fantastic way to buy sapphires. however, you need to know the basics about sapphire (heat/treatments, cut/windows, tone/hue, etc) BEFORE you go. and preferably, it is best if you have seen some sapphires live as well so you have a sense of what you like vs. don't like.

if you have enough time, i suggest you check out the ones that the pros here suggest. if you find one you like, you're done. if you don't, return them and take a look at the fair.

good luck! i think a sapphire will look nice in your setting.

paiger81

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your help!

@velouriaL My e-ring may only be .5 carat center stone, but I'm loving the the band, so we'll save bigger stones for other rings ;-) .

@slksapphire I know I want an untreated sapphire (might be ok with heat only), and would prefer a sapphire without a grey tone to it...will need to look further into cut/windows. We're not getting married for over a year, so I'm totally ok with taking a hot minute to find the right stone for the ring. We'll probably check out the Gem Show and I'll report back on my findings.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Have fun on your search! Many of the ones I posted will probably work. Depending on the setting, you should have a few MMs of wiggle room. If you post bigger pictures of the setting, we should be able to be able to help you figure how much flexibility you have.

Also, be aware that .5 carat does not equal 5mm. A 5mm round sapphire will probably be in the .60 - .70 ish range, but it's pretty variable, depending on cut. Diamonds are "heavier" than sapphires, so a sapphire will be smaller in diameter than a diamond of the same weight. So make sure as you search that you look by mm size, not carat weight.

Since you're in Houston, you might want to check out Lathrop's in Bellaire. ETA: Looks like Lathrop's is closed. I read somewhere that the main designer from Lathrop's now works at Houston Jewelry and Fine Gifts. They might be able to source a sapphire for you.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, welcome, and good for you for going for color over a diamond. :)) I agree with the others that you should be able to find what you seek under $1k, it might just take a bit of looking for the right one (and it sounds like you have the time). A few pointers: Since you are in Texas, you might start a thread asking the veterans what good vendors attend the Intergem shows in your area. I've found that there are often price discrepancies in similar material at the same show, as it depends upon when the vendor bought it, etc. I live in California, and the ones I love are: Vance gems (they sometimes come, sometimes not depending upon their grandchildren in the area :)) ), and New Era Gems. Steve of New Era, is one of the nicest guys and while he doesn't have a lot of sapphires (different area of focus), what he has he says inexpensively. To my great disappointment, Prima gems does not come to shows in my area, but everyone else swears by them. B and B Fine gems may or may not attend and they seem to specialize in blue sapphires of high quality - many untreated - but their prices are very high. What else? I've had really good luck with a large family who specializes in stones out of Afghanistan/Pakistan (I say large family because some are brothers and some are cousins and they have several table and several businesses; one may be Freedom Valley or some such?)

Finally, keep in mind that since diamonds have a higher RI, they are cut differently than colored stones. It is awesome that you have found the setting you love, but keep in mind that well cut colored stones are cut deeper than diamonds. It would be a good idea to measure your setting to determine the depth limitations for the center stone, if that makes sense. Good luck!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, one more cautionary note - not a good idea to let anyone at a gem show mount your stone in case you buy one there and are tempted to have them put it together. They are not good, and tend to rush. Do not let BandB set any stones you buy from them; think their bench is not good (at least is was the last time I had something set by them years ago).

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I added a 3mm sapphire to my eternity band. I did a lot of research because I wanted it untreated. My jeweler wanted to sell me a treated stone for over $200! Check out Big Sky Gems. Stephen was a joy to work with and he will accept returns. My Montana Sapphire may be small but it is perfectly cut, totally untreated and a most beautiful med blue, with shipping it was $75!

http://www.big-sky-gems.com/Pages/default.aspx

paiger81

Rough_Rock
Yes, the plan is to buy the stone and have it set either with RB (to keep whatever warranty they have on the setting)or have the jeweler who originally suggested we go to InterGem set it for us (out of everyone, he seemed the most honest). We plan on taking the setting with us to the show and because we weren't given any information on stone sizing from RB, the only info I have is from the jewelers who have measured the CZ that's in the center. None have looked or mentioned the depth. Will see what I can find out on it.

I've forwarded all suggestions to FI to look at. Will post a better pic of ring when I'm at home.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I like Simply Sapphires and Litnon for small sapphires. Both are great vendors that often have great prices.

paiger81

Rough_Rock
Is it wrong that I'm not too concerned about the weight of the stone as I am the right size? I want to make sure that the ring looks "full"<-maybe not a proper term, but hopefully you understand what I mean? I know the width of current CZ came in between 4.96mm and 4.99mm at different jewelers. One jeweler mentioned we could go up to about a 5.5mm easily because there is still some room.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
paiger81|1380127202|3527088 said:
Is it wrong that I'm not too concerned about the weight of the stone as I am the right size? I want to make sure that the ring looks "full"<-maybe not a proper term, but hopefully you understand what I mean? I know the width of current CZ came in between 4.96mm and 4.99mm at different jewelers. One jeweler mentioned we could go up to about a 5.5mm easily because there is still some room.

Exactly the right way to go about it with a colored stone, because they vary so much and you need to find one that fits the setting - you're doing great. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results