shape
carat
color
clarity

Need book recommendations for 4th grade very advanced reader

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
My DD is almost 10 and she is a very advanced reader. All she wants to do is read books she has over and over (especially Harry Potter). I need books that are appropriate for her level (which is high) but not subject matter that is too advanced for her age. I am going to try some classics for young readers but does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Re: Need book recommendations for 4th grade very advanced re

What about the Little House on the Prairie books? It says they are suggested for grades 3-7, ages 8+. Also, the Anne of Green Gables series might be good. The Secret Garden was another favorite of mine at that age. I'm not sure if those would be boring for her, but they were all my favorites in grades 3-6 or so. I was an advanced reader as well.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew? They might be too old, not old for her but like..old-old, since they were written in the 50's or whatever.

I second the Little House books tho, I loved those. Or, if you can find the abridged versions of the classics, I read those constantly when I was younger. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was my favorite. (I still have them all too, way up on top of the book shelves so the kids can't mess w/them b/c they're MINE) What about A Wrinkle in Time? Behind the Attic Wall http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Attic-Wall-Camelot-Books/dp/0380698439/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378860688&sr=1-1&keywords=behind+the+attic+wall+by+sylvia+cassedy I've read it about 15 times at least--apparently loved it so much I never returned it to the school library. This one I liked too, tho I don't remember much about it http://www.amazon.com/My-Name-Rosie-Barbara-Cohen/dp/0688418392/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1378860804&sr=1-1&keywords=r+my+name+is+rosie

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock

I started Tolkien about that age; it's wonderfully verbose and the subject matter is great for all ages. If she likes HP, then I think she'll like the fantasy aspect, too.

Louisa May Alcott's books were favorites of mine, as well; Little Women and An Old Fashioned Girl, especially. And yes yes yes to Little House and Anne of Green Gables.

A newer series I really enjoy is The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner and its sequels. The humor is dry, but witty; subject matter is totally appropriate and I think it would be about right for an advanced reader that age.

Any particular genres she really likes?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

"A" just read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series and really liked it.

Also:

A Wrinkle in Time
Sarah's Key (might be a bit more emotionally than you want so read it yourself first)
The Hobbit
Anne of Green Gables

Take a look at Kumon. They have a suggested reading list you can download with lots of great stuff. It is broken up into reading levels so that you can find different books of similar challenge.

What sort of books does she like to read? Any particular topic?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Maybe Roald Dahl? George's Marvelous Medicine and The Twits are two that I love. London has Matilda and the Witches but I've not read them yet.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If she is like my daughter and likes fantasy (and it sounds like she does) look up Diane Wynne Jones, both her books and her short stories. Some good book series are Fablehaven, the Mysterious Benedict Society, Septimus Heap books. Those are off the top of my head but I can ask my daughter for more. As you can tell she is a voracious reader and has pretty much read everything in that area.

We also like Roald Dahl books.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ditto "A Wrinkle In Time" - it's actually the first of a series of books that have a scientific element to them and also explore themes of good and evil.

Island of the Blue Dolphins.

The Little Prince.

The Phantom Tollbooth.

From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ohhh Island of the Blue Dolphins, I loved that book! My third grade teacher read it to us, just a few pages a day or whatever and I was just completely mesmerized.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock

The Giver
Bridge to Terabithia
Little Women
The Secret Garden

These were all favorites of mine around 10-13 years old.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The little house on the prairie books. I read the crap out of those. When shawls came in style a couple of seasons ago, I was giddy.....I also have had the urge to make an apple pie out of an unripe green pumpkin. And when my daughter acts selfish, I call her Nellie Olsen. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I am picking several of them on Amazon. She has read many of these already. Feel free to keep em coming. I check back periodically and add the to my cart. I usually get her a bunch of books for Christmas break.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock

I was a pretty advanced reader at that age. Here are some things I liked and or would suggest.

Little Women
A Christmas Carol
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Yearling
Hatchet
My Side of the Mountain
The Sign of the Beaver
King of the Wind
The Giver
The Martian Chronicles
She might like The Hunger Games
The Hobbit
The Last Unicorn
The Chronicles of Narnia
Eragon
Julie of the Wolves
A Wrinkle in Time
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Diary of Anne Frank
Tuck Everlasting
Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry
The Neverending Story
Old Yeller
Where the Red Fern Grows
The Little Prince
A Wind in the Door
The Wind in the Willows
Mr. Popper's Penquins
The Swiss Family Robinson
Hoot
Mattimeo
The Once and Future King
The Call of the Wild
White Fang
Tailchaser's Song
She might enjoy watership down or she might not.
Number the Stars
Because of Winn Dixie
Charlotte's Web
My Brother Sam is Dead - Civil War Story
Shiloh
The Fault in our Stars
The Fault in our Stars
The Necromancer
Looking for Alaska looks good
The Old Man and the Sea
To Kill a Mockingbird
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Life of Pi
Speak

kat08

Rough_Rock

You've already gotten a ton of great suggestions. There are just a few that I didn't see on the lists that I enjoyed at that age (hope I'm not accidentally repeating here):

Oliver Twist
David Copperfield
Rebecca
Emily series (same author as Anne of Green Gables)
Mara, Daughter of the Nile (an adventure story; if she liked Harry Potter, she might enjoy this one)
Diamond in the Window
Harriet the Spy

SMC

Ideal_Rock

Just came upon this thread and it reminded me of this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/hay-festival/10868544/Judy-Blume-Parents-worry-too-much-about-what-children-read.html

My parents never interfered with what I read. I read whatever I wanted to at the library and they allowed me to purchase whatever books I was interested in reading. I think reading a lot and without restrictions helped me to do very well academically. I read Judy Blume's "Forever" in the 4th or 5th grade and I had no idea what they were talking about. It certainly did not spur my interest in the opposite sex or cause me to become more promiscuous (my first kiss wasn't until senior year - of college!).

So, if I had kids, I'd probably allow them to choose their own books. If it's too advanced, they'll stop reading it. If they have questions about what they read, I see that as a good thing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results