shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions on sphene

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I saw this sphene and fell in love, but because it's sphene, I can't think of any way to wear it that would be okay. (I don't like necklaces.) Hence, I am posting it for lurkers, and your comments.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-90ct-Beautiful-Cushion-Cut-Natural-Green-Sphene-/261269779809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd4e47561

I see on the back side (on the video) that it seems to have some type of line that goes through it. Is that common for sphene? In the still pic, I also see a brown area that corresponds to this line. Are the 2 related? I am not familiar with sphenes. One day, I'd like to get sphene earrings, but can't find a pair of clean, chrome green ones right now. Are they very difficult to find?

Does anyone know someone who is willing to set a sphene?

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I am no expert on sphenes, but that one looks a little murky to me, color-wise and inclusion-wise.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Erin. I'm not sure what a "good" sphene even looks like. I just know I like the green ones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm,
I would be concerned about that inclusion that looks like it cleaves the stone in half. I wonder if that would also make it more fragile to set.

Not too many people will set a sphene, way too soft. I hope you can find someone.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
TL, good point. I'm not going to buy that one because it's too big for anything but a pendant (which I don't like) or a ring (which is too soft for sphene). I was just asking to understand better what to look for in a sphene. I hope to buy a smaller pair for earrings.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Everything TL said.

I will say if that inclusion wasn't there, that color is GREAT. Reminds me of the stones I had recut for my earrings.

If you're looking for a good chrome green sphene, you more than likely (closer to, will never) find matched sets. It will likely be easier to find stones large enough to cut down to the shape and size you want.

Yellowy green/yellowy brown sphene is much easier to find.

If you do find stones and can't find a setter, let me know I will hook you up with the guy who set mine.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Davi. I wish I could make a bezel ring and wear that thing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Once I saw that "split" on the back, I know I can never recommend that sphene be set. It looks like that line could very well cleave the stone into 2 even triangular pieces during the setting process.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It does look like it is ready to cleave.
Stone setters often refuse to set Sphene, some prefer to set it with prongs and a few will bezel set them. They just don't leave much room for error. Best regards, Lee

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Lee.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results