shape
carat
color
clarity

Struggling with diamonds of value

sparks1007

Shiny_Rock
Hi All!! :wavey:

I've been reading posts and loving all the fabulousness on here for a while. I've also been looking for some antique diamonds of my own. I already own a few pieces of mostly Victorian loveliness but none are particularly large diamonds. I don't want a solitaire so have been looking for three stones (I already have a five stone) or other options. I have just found a ring with the following specs:

It's a three stone (old European cut) described as:

Centre stone: approx 5.2mm x 3.25mm depth
Outer 1: 4.6mm x 2.51mm depth
Outer 2: 4.7/4.8mm x 3.24mm depth
Estimated 1.38ctw, SI, G/H colour (although they look lower colour than this to me - not a problem, I like lower coloured diamonds better anyway).

Stones set in with original white topped millegrained setting and yellow gallery. I should say the millegrain and gallery are original to the stones which are Edwardian. I love the look of the stones and their setting is great - although I'm not loving the shank and shoulders of the ring and may change that later.

Any rough idea of value? I'm just looking for a range - how long is a piece of string right? But any ideas would be hugely appreciated. I don't want to get totally fleeced. Would $1,500 sound excessive? Thanks!

PS Also posted in Rocky Talk but I feel you ladies and gents are the OMC, OEC gurus!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a decent price. Part of the value, though, comes from how nicely cut the diamonds are.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Buy it, it looks beautiful! I think you could go up in price for it too.

And don't forget to show more pics after you buy it. I'd love the see some hand pics! :wavey:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is a really great price if the stones look O.K to you. I can't see them clearly enough in your pics to make a call on their cut quality and they look (but again I can't see them clearly) later than Edwardian to me....

Hera

Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1378601114|3516478 said:
I think that is a really great price if the stones look O.K to you. I can't see them clearly enough in your pics to make a call on their cut quality and they look (but again I can't see them clearly) later than Edwardian to me....

True, it doesn't have all of those edwardian details so likely a little later in age. The milgrain is beautiful and I think the ring is stunning. As long as the stones aren't ugly (which I don't think they will be), it's a real beauty! :love:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's a very pretty ring and a good price!

sparks1007

Shiny_Rock
Hi All. Thanks for your help and input. Sadly the seller refused to sell to me because of where I live. I feel that actually, if people are going to be that ignorant then I'd rather not spend my hard earned cash with them.

Back to the hunt. :)

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry, Sparky! I hope there's something even prettier and sparklier in your future!

I don't know where you live, but in some cases there isn't enough protection for sellers sending it to other countries.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is really rude, although I have had the same thing happen a couple of times with US sellers refusing to send items to Australia so they won't sell them to me. I was like, you have to be kidding me it's not as though I live in the 3rd world, and I have had an International Paypal account for more than 10 years....

Anyway don't worry about it. Something else just as nice if not better will come along!!!! Are you after a 3 stone or just an Antique diamond ring?

Hera

Ideal_Rock
arkieb1|1378683850|3516975 said:
Wow, that is really rude, although I have had the same thing happen a couple of times with US sellers refusing to send items to Australia so they won't sell them to me. I was like, you have to be kidding me it's not as though I live in the 3rd world, and I have had an International Paypal account for more than 10 years....

Anyway don't worry about it. Something else just as nice if not better will come along!!!! Are you after a 3 stone or just an Antique diamond ring?

There is some risk to US sellers sending items to Australia. Paypal does not confirm Australian buyers' addresses and the method of mailing and restricted items means that you may have to mail without paypal buyers protection. That means if something goes wrong, you are out your money. There's a lot of red tape involved too and it's hard to find the information.

sparks1007

Shiny_Rock
Aw. Thanks all!

I've started a new search in Rocky Talk if anyone fancies a gander:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...-some-jewellery.193176/#post-3517123#p3517123

I wanted her to ship it to an address in the same country as she was (the UK). The address was a PayPal registered and confirmed address - one associated with my PayPal account. She wouldn't ship it. I can only assume it's because she heard where I actually lived, added two and two together and came up with 100. All other Ebayers I've ever worked with would. Anyway, it's done now. Moving on to brighter, sparklier things :love:

Hera

Ideal_Rock
How awful :angryfire: :angryfire: I'm so angry for you!

Well, onwards and upwards. Good luck on your search. Are you looking for a three stone or what is it you're looking for?

sparks1007

Shiny_Rock
I wasn't looking for a three stone in particular but I know that they will give me the best finger coverage for the money. I definitely don't want a solitaire - not my style - and I don't want anything that sits too high. I have quite an active lifestyle so anything that's going to get caught or in the way of my day would annoy me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results