shape
carat
color
clarity

Oy Vay, Bathroom Re-Do Purgatory!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
There's a law that renovation has to cost twice as much & take twice as long as you estimate. I proved it! I'm spiffing up the master bathroom to get it in shape as cheaply as possible for selling the house in a year or so. Headache City.

It still had wall-to-wall carpeting that was there when we bought the house; needs to be tiled. Tiling on tub & shower is okay, so it's only the floor. 2 estimates were close to $5K, gasp, so I went for Lowe's, much less & I've had good experience w/them before. Chose tile, paid some, & they said they'd call in 24 to 48 hrs to set up a start date.

One week later, hadn't heard a peep from them, so I called. And called. Spent the next 3 days constantly on the phone -- "The contractor will get in touch today..." over & over. Finally, after 10 days, a chick phones me & is shocked & indignant that I'm impatient -- fairly rude, in fact. But it's scheduled, yay!

The guys arrive....but Lowe's never delivered the materials, so they have no tile to lay! I asked them to pull out the rug -- and they found that the house's settling over 35 yrs had made the floor too uneven to continue until someone levels it first, $$$$! Off they go, promising cheerily that Lowe's will call me in about a half hour.

You guessed it -- zero communication for 3 days. Then I receive a call from someone who asks in a perky voice, "I just wanted to check how satisfied you are with your installation!" Are you kidding??? :roll: Next day I cancelled the whole project, and the only good part of the experience is that they were very nice about refunding every penny. A 4th company due tomorrow for another estimate & to tell me what to do about the uneven floor.

It'll get done eventually, but for more than I expected -- BIG sticker shock on this stuff -- maybe I'll appreciate it that much more. For the past week I've been walking around on the plywood base flooring & I suppose will be for some time to come. Feels good to vent!!

--- Laurie

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
We are re-doing ours ourselves. SO is a plumber, so he is doing all of the plumbing and extending the walls. Our neighbor does tile work so we'll be having him come in to lay our tile. Saves me a whole lot of headache and money!

I hope you get everything resolved soon, and that your re-do stops taking all of eternity. That's horrible about Lowes!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I had my master bath totally redone last year, new shower (tiled) , floor, walls, sinks, faucets, electrical, toilet, lights, fixtures and the entire job was about $5000.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
April, where do you live? For that price, it's worth it to move there! Actually, I was blown away by the prices quoted. It's a good sized bathroom but not a ballroom by any means. I thought the first guy was breathtakingly high, and the 2nd was higher! Lowe's quoted 1500 including tile, but I didn't even get what I paid for (did get the money back, though). I'm curious to see what the woman tomorrow comes up with. You did it right, girl, makes me jealous!

--- Laurie

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chicago area. I will send Paul the Plummer to you!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
JF I think you live fairly close to me right? With DS and Skippy? If so I have a tile person that was recommended to me for work. I'm nto sure how far they travel but estimates are fairly resonable.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Lordy!

This is just tile, what's the big deal? Honestly, you poor thing.

Start over with Home Depot!

Or if you like any of the tile on Costco.com, they will send a supplier ASAP and they seriously follow up on their guys.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
$5000? Are you kidding? Have you thought of doing it yourself and saving yourself a boatload of $$? Home Depot usually has some type of DIY classes and I'm sure tiling is one of them. You may want to look into it. DH and I want to rip out the tile in our bath and put in the tile that looks like hardwood flooring, and are considering doing it ourselves....

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1378403143|3515082 said:
Chicago area. I will send Paul the Plummer to you!

Can you direct me to his website?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the help & sympathy, everybody! Sarah, yes, I'm near you, a few minutes south of the city. I love your offer -- but contacted Costco & they sent a refreshingly knowledgeable guy out here yesterday. He sold me.

I also realized more how pathetic those Lowe's guys were -- the Costco person said 1.) the floor is not too uneven to tile; you just need care & skill, and 2.) tile is never laid directly on the plywood subfloor as they intended; a layer of something-or-other must be down 1st. Ceramic tile still came to 3 grand, so I went with a new vinyl tile they have -- looks almost like ceramic & half the price. If this were my forever house, I'd put in better stuff; all I want now is to make it presentable to sell the joint. Installation scheduled in 10 days, finally!

April -- I hope either your bathroom is smaller than mine, or that I can move where you are soon! This b'room comes out at 135 sq ft, not counting the shower & garden tub & long vanity -- just the open floor area. Now I have to find wallpaper & that we can do ourselves.

Li'l Misfit, good for you two! As this Costco fellow said, tiling is pretty easy on a level floor, but when it's somewhat uneven, not so much. I did think about DIY, but this doesn't look like a promising rookie project. Good luck to you!! It's a very helpful skill to have & I'll do the same if I need it in the next house.

Lucky Dragonfly -- wish I had a handy DH like yours, especially one with handy friends. Hope it turns out beautifully.

Next big thing will be refinishing the floors of the entire 1st floor, gah! Hope it goes more smoothly. That is going to cost a bundle -- DH will faint dead away -- he likes to spend money only on pretty stuff like upholstery, paint, wallpaper. (And vintage cars. :bigsmile: )

--- Laurie

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results