shape
carat
color
clarity

Finally!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom said:
Congrats Ginger!I'm taking my US citizenship test tomorrow! Studying tonight......

Good luck!! Dust!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, Ginger!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Now show me Poppy!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1374548939|3488202 said:
justginger|1374543356|3488146 said:
Yssie|1374540892|3488120 said:
Congrats Ginger!!!!! :appl:

I remember the US citizenship ceremony very well - they're good about the pomp and circumstance and I felt so awfully special that day ::)

justginger|1374534365|3488033 said:
As it is, I am now a dual citizen and will carry passports for both countries. :))
Me too! :bigsmile:

ETA: I lied. Mine are US and NZ. Close enough?
ETA: (I can hear the choking all the way from here...)

Mine would have been much better, with the anthem, and the food, and the gifted native plant if I had waited 3-6 months for the ceremony that is arranged by my local council. Unfortunately, I really want the financial benefits for being a citizen when it comes to my uni fees, so lodged a request for an expedited ceremony. I guess it's like a wedding at the registry office vs a white monstrosity - get in, say the oath, get out. Thankfully DH took me out for a lovely lunch in the city afterwards, so that made up for it.

Are you actually Kiwi, yssie? Or one of your parents? DH has dual Oz/Kiwi due to FIL being from the South Island. I haven't investigated if my future child/ren can hold triple citizenship, but I think they could. That being said, I expect they would denounce their American citizenship at a certain point. Only the US requires all of her citizens to continue filing taxes (regardless if they've ever even visited the country before!), and will double tax income over a certain level, in addition to taxing our tax-free retirement superannuation here. :nono: It's not really a benefit to be a US citizen abroad if you have no expectation to ever live there.

I laughed out loud at the description of the "white monstrosity". Glad you and your DH got a nice lunch at least! ::)

Yes, I still have my NZ citizenship, but it's not by birth. My parents moved there when I was very young and I hardly remember anything of the process, I'm afraid, so I'm no help. Neither I nor my parents have property there and I use my US passport for all practicalities (travel) so it's really just in name. DH is an Israeli dual citizen and he's looking into getting rid of it because apparently it's frowned upon when courting DOD contracts. I have heard that the US is beastly wrt. taxing income earned overseas - a friend is moving to Mexico and doesn't envision returning, and plans to renounce her citizenship for exactly that reason.

Do you plan to keep your US citizenship?

The US is GHASTLY with taxing foreign income. However, it is actually unacceptable to renounce your citizenship for the purposes of avoiding taxes -- they have created new laws that allow the US to tax you AFTER you've renounced, simply so people cannot financially escape Uncle Sam, in the case of a big windfall. Tell your friend to ensure she renounces for ideological reasons, with no mention of finances.

Me? I intend to hold on to my citizenship, at this point. That may change in the future, but for now I still identify as at least partially American, and I know my citizenship means something to my parents. That may change in the future, the longer I remain abroad, but we'll see. :))

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Deb - I know, I look young. You've pegged me at a more than a decade younger though, hopefully I stay looking that much younger into my later years! :bigsmile:

Rosebloom - you know what? I actually hated Bali. I know so many people fell in love with it from "Eat Pray Love," but holy moly, if I won a free trip back to Bali, I'd try to sell it. :lol:

Jaysonsmom - good luck with your test! I'm sure you'll do great. :))

Susimoo - don't worry, when you get your citizenship, I'll make sure you get a potted kangaroo paw or SOMETHING. :lol:

DS and all the others who have offered their congratulations - thank you! It's an exciting life event and I'm glad I have lovely PSers to share it with. :appl:

And because Jane was so exuberant with her emoties, here are a couple of Poppy shots. Iphone only (black cover), of course - taken on our tea room balcony at work, lunch time.

poppybalcony.jpg

poppybalcony2.jpg

nomissjane

Shiny_Rock
Such a huge congratulations to you....welcome to the club.

I've had a serious crush on 'Poppy' for some time now, so if your ever in Sydney my little 'Emylia' would love a play date.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1374568277|3488337 said:
Yssie|1374548939|3488202 said:
justginger|1374543356|3488146 said:
Yssie|1374540892|3488120 said:
Congrats Ginger!!!!! :appl:

I remember the US citizenship ceremony very well - they're good about the pomp and circumstance and I felt so awfully special that day ::)

justginger|1374534365|3488033 said:
As it is, I am now a dual citizen and will carry passports for both countries. :))
Me too! :bigsmile:

ETA: I lied. Mine are US and NZ. Close enough?
ETA: (I can hear the choking all the way from here...)

Mine would have been much better, with the anthem, and the food, and the gifted native plant if I had waited 3-6 months for the ceremony that is arranged by my local council. Unfortunately, I really want the financial benefits for being a citizen when it comes to my uni fees, so lodged a request for an expedited ceremony. I guess it's like a wedding at the registry office vs a white monstrosity - get in, say the oath, get out. Thankfully DH took me out for a lovely lunch in the city afterwards, so that made up for it.

Are you actually Kiwi, yssie? Or one of your parents? DH has dual Oz/Kiwi due to FIL being from the South Island. I haven't investigated if my future child/ren can hold triple citizenship, but I think they could. That being said, I expect they would denounce their American citizenship at a certain point. Only the US requires all of her citizens to continue filing taxes (regardless if they've ever even visited the country before!), and will double tax income over a certain level, in addition to taxing our tax-free retirement superannuation here. :nono: It's not really a benefit to be a US citizen abroad if you have no expectation to ever live there.

I laughed out loud at the description of the "white monstrosity". Glad you and your DH got a nice lunch at least! ::)

Yes, I still have my NZ citizenship, but it's not by birth. My parents moved there when I was very young and I hardly remember anything of the process, I'm afraid, so I'm no help. Neither I nor my parents have property there and I use my US passport for all practicalities (travel) so it's really just in name. DH is an Israeli dual citizen and he's looking into getting rid of it because apparently it's frowned upon when courting DOD contracts. I have heard that the US is beastly wrt. taxing income earned overseas - a friend is moving to Mexico and doesn't envision returning, and plans to renounce her citizenship for exactly that reason.

Do you plan to keep your US citizenship?

The US is GHASTLY with taxing foreign income. However, it is actually unacceptable to renounce your citizenship for the purposes of avoiding taxes -- they have created new laws that allow the US to tax you AFTER you've renounced, simply so people cannot financially escape Uncle Sam, in the case of a big windfall. Tell your friend to ensure she renounces for ideological reasons, with no mention of finances.

Me? I intend to hold on to my citizenship, at this point. That may change in the future, but for now I still identify as at least partially American, and I know my citizenship means something to my parents. That may change in the future, the longer I remain abroad, but we'll see. :))
She doesn't believe in dual citizenship as a meaningful institution to begin with. I can see her perspective: you are essentially pledging your allegiance and loyalty to two independent parties that may or may not embrace the same philosophies. Practically speaking there is no denying that taxes factor into the incentives, whether or not the council cares to hear it stated as such... She's a bright one though, I'm sure she'll figure it all out!

I think I understand. I consider myself "American" and I would have to think long and hard if we ever moved!

Congrats again Ginger!! :appl:

Edit*

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
So no chance of moving back here to MO, then? Wise choice ;-) Congrats!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Ginger! I like your photo. Your immigration story is amazing! Glad you're so happy in Oz.

How did you come to move to Oz? Was it for lurve? I, too, would never in a million years have predicted that I'd leave the UK, but I did. For lurve, seven years ago like you.

Someone said the chest x-ray seemed odd...well, the US immigration medical was very strange indeed. It had to take place at a private doctor in Knightsbridge, chosen by the US government. It involved blood tests, immunisations, AIDS test, chest x-rays, a sight test, spinal alignment test, and a good look at your genitals. YES. Every item on the medical list was mandated by the US government. My husband-to-be had been born in the US so no military-style medical for him. I was intensely angry about the whole thing at the time. Afterwards, the doc's was right next to Harrod's, and I went in and bought a Mulberry handbag for myself from the joint account. Hah.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1374607268|3488637 said:
Congratulations, Ginger! I like your photo. Your immigration story is amazing! Glad you're so happy in Oz.

How did you come to move to Oz? Was it for lurve? I, too, would never in a million years have predicted that I'd leave the UK, but I did. For lurve, seven years ago like you.

Someone said the chest x-ray seemed odd...well, the US immigration medical was very strange indeed. It had to take place at a private doctor in Knightsbridge, chosen by the US government. It involved blood tests, immunisations, AIDS test, chest x-rays, a sight test, spinal alignment test, and a good look at your genitals. YES. Every item on the medical list was mandated by the US government. My husband-to-be had been born in the US so no military-style medical for him. I was intensely angry about the whole thing at the time. Afterwards, the doc's was right next to Harrod's, and I went in and bought a Mulberry handbag for myself from the joint account. Hah.

My PR medical was as you described...minus the genitals bit! I guess Australians are pleased enough with their own that they don't mandate lookie-loos at other's nether regions, lol. But the chest x-rays came hand-in-hand with 4 of my visas, the last one being PR a couple of years ago.

I did move to Australia for "love" - unfortunately that absolutely crashed and burned, with my ex walking out a year after I moved here. Talk about a bitter pill to swallow at 22. Failed relationship, in new country, only superficial-level friends, zero family. I stayed on though, had no idea if I was making the right choice at the time or not.

Slowly, I built up a life of my own, one I could have never had if I had remained in the States. And of course I eventually started dating my now-husband.

It was the right decision. I wish I could tell my 22 year old self how much better it would get. :))

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1374554790|3488257 said:
jaysonsmom said:
Congrats Ginger!I'm taking my US citizenship test tomorrow! Studying tonight......

Good luck!! Dust!

Thank you! I passed the interview and test....now I only have to wait for notice to get sworn in!

Not to hijack Ginger's thread....BUT I cannot believe the Aussie process for Citizenship, it seems so much more work and $$$$ than the US.
I think I spent less than $3K total going from H-1 Work Visa to Green Card to Citizenship. I didn't hire attorneys though, I did everything myself.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F…. gosh, I love love love Poppy. LOVE. ADORE. CRAVE. LUST. ADDICTED. WITHDRAWALS. MORE PICS PLEASE. My need for more pictures is insatiable. More!!! *begs*

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Smith, I said that the chest x-rays seemed odd but I've never given thought to everything involved in applying for citizenship. All the medical stuff never crossed my mind.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Ginger!

As for the time and cost.... I am sure well worth it.

To put things in perspective: Last year I went through the legal cost to bring my wife into the US to get a provisional Green Card. I hired a very experienced and very good lawyer for that to ensure no problems due to several potential issues (she had entered the US on a tourist visa to visit her brother and for shopping - and I have a security clearance for my job that could be affected by things not going well). Then we also had to get Princess's Ukraine passport renewed as it was expiring this year and she would need it for future non-US travel during the period before she can apply for US citizenship. The normal process in Ukraine to renew a passport is 3-5 months. We did the 3 week process so she could return back to the US and be with me. Total cost for US immigration fees, medical exams, legal services, and a 3 week renewal process of her Ukrainian passport: $18,500. That... was a bit more... than I anticipated.... But well worth it. She had her US provisional Green card in about 4 months after we filed.

Permanent Green Card I think will be about $750 in fees next year (and I see no need for a lawyer for that); and US Citizenship I think is about the same for Fees several years down the road.

Anyway, congratulations again on your Aussie Citizenship - and what is almost certainly a good investment.

Perry

justginger

Ideal_Rock
perry|1374624069|3488808 said:
Congratulations Ginger!

As for the time and cost.... I am sure well worth it.

To put things in perspective: Last year I went through the legal cost to bring my wife into the US to get a provisional Green Card. I hired a very experienced and very good lawyer for that to ensure no problems due to several potential issues (she had entered the US on a tourist visa to visit her brother and for shopping - and I have a security clearance for my job that could be affected by things not going well). Then we also had to get Princess's Ukraine passport renewed as it was expiring this year and she would need it for future non-US travel during the period before she can apply for US citizenship. The normal process in Ukraine to renew a passport is 3-5 months. We did the 3 week process so she could return back to the US and be with me. Total cost for US immigration fees, medical exams, legal services, and a 3 week renewal process of her Ukrainian passport: $18,500. That... was a bit more... than I anticipated.... But well worth it. She had her US provisional Green card in about 4 months after we filed.

Permanent Green Card I think will be about $750 in fees next year (and I see no need for a lawyer for that); and US Citizenship I think is about the same for Fees several years down the road.

Anyway, congratulations again on your Aussie Citizenship - and what is almost certainly a good investment.

Perry

Immigration lawyers absolutely nail you to the wall, don't they? Only $2000 of my costs were paid to a lawyer, and that was while I was in panic mode. My partner had just walked out, and I was on a PARTNER visa. I basically had 30 days before deportation, so I contacted a professional. Once I did a bit of further research myself, I realised I was the victim of frantic highway robbery. He was charging me at just under $800 per hour! He did the necessary paperwork for me, I chuffed off to Bali, and when I got back I (painfully) paid him and severed that arrangement. I was more than capable of doing all my own paperwork (tedious as it was). Had I been in your position, I would have stayed with a professional. But I anticipate my $15,000 of immigration expenses would have been more than doubled with the ongoing use of an immigration lawyer!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I didn't realise the actual immigration fees for US permanency were so low, Perry. I've put off looking into American visas for my husband due to the excessive fees I've dealt with over the last 8 years. For example, my PR application fee here was around $5000 - not refundable in the case you're denied! Additionally, my sponsoring workplace, the Dept of Health, paid a further $600 ($800?) towards my permanency. :errrr:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
justginger said:
:

Rosebloom - you know what? I actually hated Bali. I know so many people fell in love with it from "Eat Pray Love," but holy moly, if I won a free trip back to Bali, I'd try to sell it. :lol:

And because Jane was so exuberant with her emoties, here are a couple of Poppy shots. Iphone only (black cover), of course - taken on our tea room balcony at work, lunch time.

poppybalcony.jpg

poppybalcony2.jpg

Well thanks for the insight! Helps me prioritize the very long list in places to see.

And Holy Citizenship, Poppy is incredible. Wow.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Many congrats JG!

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1374625011|3488821 said:
Immigration lawyers absolutely nail you to the wall, don't they? Only $2000 of my costs were paid to a lawyer, and that was while I was in panic mode. My partner had just walked out, and I was on a PARTNER visa. I basically had 30 days before deportation, so I contacted a professional. Once I did a bit of further research myself, I realised I was the victim of frantic highway robbery. He was charging me at just under $800 per hour! He did the necessary paperwork for me, I chuffed off to Bali, and when I got back I (painfully) paid him and severed that arrangement. I was more than capable of doing all my own paperwork (tedious as it was). Had I been in your position, I would have stayed with a professional. But I anticipate my $15,000 of immigration expenses would have been more than doubled with the ongoing use of an immigration lawyer!

I didn't realise the actual immigration fees for US permanency were so low, Perry. I've put off looking into American visas for my husband due to the excessive fees I've dealt with over the last 8 years. For example, my PR application fee here was around $5000 - not refundable in the case you're denied! Additionally, my sponsoring workplace, the Dept of Health, paid a further $600 ($800?) towards my permanency. :errrr:

Just Ginger:

I actually thought the Immigration Lawyer cost were very good here in the US. First off - we did an initial consultation to discuss our options with the thought of having Princess return to the Ukraine and us completing a Fiancee visa (I think for $200). He pointed out there was another option as Princess was already in the US legally (even if under a tourist visa) as long as she did not really have to return home until after the process was complete. Since ours was nominally a simple case as long as we followed an exact timeline. If I remember we essentially had only a 4 week period to get married in to minimize some issues to virtually zero (by waiting until at least 3 months after she entered the country on a tourist visa) and still have adequate time to complete all the paperwork and file prior to Princess's tourist visa expiring; and it would clearly be best if we had am actual wedding with guests (with good pictures) and not just get married in a courthouse. The fixed price was only about $2000 + fees to file an Adjustment of Status. Alternately we could chose $250-$300 per hour (and for non-simple cases he only worked for $250-$300 per hour). This was a law firm that only did immigration work and had 3 full time lawyers doing immigration cases (and were 1 block from the immigration service). They had a "canned" process for simple applications.

Filing fees for the forms were about $1490. I had to pay for a translator for 4 sessions as well (perhaps $500). I don't recall the medical cost. But we also did a pre-nup, wills, Power of attorney, Living wills, etc and their existence added to our case (technically not required - but shows above average intent for the marriage).

Due to my security clearance I really had to make this work right the first time as I know of people who had their clearance suspended for a year or so while issues got investigated and/or worked out should I be married to an "illegal alien" or someone currently living in a certain list of "suspect" countries (predominately old Soviet block, and some other countries - which applied in my case). Having my clearance suspended would mean having no job....

I note that I believe that the legal cost for an Finacee visa would have been about same (with an estimated 6-9 month delay after she returned home) - and I would still have had to file for a change of status (although in that case I would not have had the legal concerns I had because Princess would have been in the US on a Finacee visa and not a tourist visa - and we could have done the paperwork ourselves (but still needed the $1490 filing fees).

It was the interesting costs to get a quick new passport in the Ukraine that added a good chunk to the overall cost cited above (I could be wrong but my memory is something about a stack of $100 bills that was close to an inch thick - sometimes certain processes in various countries and organizations need the right... lubricant).

Also, we have both met a number of people who have been in the Green Card process for many years due to improper filled out paperwork or other questions related to timing and or intent (and documentation of that intent). Every other immigrant we meet is stunned that Princess got her green card in slightly less than 4 months from the date of filing - and that's the real value of good legal advice and service: Zero delays - it ran like clockwork. Every possible issue was addressed up front - and the lawyer ran us through a "practice" immigration interview with the do's and don'ts. That allowed her to return home to the Ukraine in time to get her new Passport.

Hope that helps,

Perry

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on finally getting to the end of the long journey!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Zoe|1374624005|3488805 said:
Smith, I said that the chest x-rays seemed odd but I've never given thought to everything involved in applying for citizenship. All the medical stuff never crossed my mind.

When people immigrate into the UK, there are zero medical tests. Absolutely nothing. So all these government-mandated medicals seem like something from another era to me. Very Fifties, when people questioned authority much less than they do now.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Ginger - well done for staying on and making the best of it! I think I would have gone home. Just very scary to be half a world away with no family, partner, and new friends only. But good for you - you've reaped the rewards!!!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! It's a great feeling, isn't it?

I went through the process a few years ago with becoming a UK citizen, and like you I did it as quickly as I could. The fees seem to increase every year as governments crack down on immigration. Luckily for me, the UK seems to have a much less invasive process than either the US or Australia.

Supers

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations Ginger. :appl:
I moved to Australia when I was 13, and became a naturalised Aussie at 21 (I think).
I remember getting to swear an oath, having a little ceremony at the local council, singing the anthem and getting my plant!
I was the first of my family to get my citizenship. My parents and sister have in the almost 20 years since my ceremony become "real" Australians. I guess it was a bit of a formality as I knew I was never going back to my country of birth, and had always felt Australian, but it was a nice thing to do regardless.

cm366

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations, Ginger! :appl: I might be asking you questions about the process in a few months, if you don't mind... :naughty:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ginger, I just saw this thread re-appear and reread my last responses and I'm rolling my eyes at myself. Can you say foot-in-mouth?

So if you do read this... I'm sorry! I truly didn't (don't!) mean to imply that dual citizenship is somehow less meaningful or sincere than singular - my friend may feel that way but I disagree, because I think the countries that permit it are, by doing so, inherently indicating that they believe that they're likely to espouse the same values and support each other in expressing them. And I think that permitting a person to express loyalty to values that cross national boundaries makes a pretty significant and laudable statement all by itself ::)

(A very heartfelt) congrats, again!! And I hope it came out better this time!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1378232670|3514084 said:
Ginger, I just saw this thread re-appear and reread my last responses and I'm rolling my eyes at myself. Can you say foot-in-mouth?

So if you do read this... I'm sorry! I truly didn't (don't!) mean to imply that dual citizenship is somehow less meaningful or sincere than singular - my friend may feel that way but I disagree, because I think the countries that permit it are, by doing so, inherently indicating that they believe that they're likely to espouse the same values and support each other in expressing them. And I think that permitting a person to express loyalty to values that cross national boundaries makes a pretty significant and laudable statement all by itself ::)

(A very heartfelt) congrats, again!! And I hope it came out better this time!

Yssie! :wavey:

I didn't think twice about what you wrote, truly. I didn't take it as if you were declaring your own sentiments, and even if that had been your opinion, it would be your right to have it. To be honest, after almost 9 years of navigating the waters of immigration, dealing with timelines and applications and declarations and registrations and interviews and tests and character witnesses and medical procedures...I would have still been patting myself on the back no matter what anyone else thought. :lol:

In a mere 3 days I will celebrate my new citizenship by VOTING. Now I get to impose my will on two countries in the world! Mwah-ha-ha-ha! :devil:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!! :wavey: =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results