shape
carat
color
clarity

Ebay frustration!!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I bought a ring on ebay, just a little trinket because I loved the filigree setting. The seller did NOT have a return policy, but having navigated one successful Paypal dispute, I figured it was worth a shot anyway. The photos looked lovely and it wasn't too pricy.

The stone was described as "clean, few inclusions" and the seller stated it was purchased with a 20x loupe and had "a few small specks."

What I got is a stone with girdle chips (expected), a chipped crown facet, and an inclusion (cavity) that stretches from the girdle to a kite facet (about 1/3rd of the stone's width) and BREAKS THE SURFACE. :angryfire:

I was not happy, and obviously disappointed that the product didn't match the ad's description. The packaging was in great shape, so obviously not a shipping issue. I contacted the seller immediately who stated he KNEW it had no such inclusion, and "politely" refused a return.

I opened an ebay resolution case, offered up numerous photos (which they refused to review) and was almost immediately denied a return/refund. I don't know how much more damaged the stone would have to be in order for them to rule in my favor. :rolleyes:

Lesson learned. The ring is still beautiful, but my job is too hands-on to wear it without fear of more damage, and I don't dare reset it. I guess I'll just eat the loss? Or consign it? Or maybe I should list it on ebay for $1, with accurate photos and a link back to the original seller... :devil:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
And it gets even better!!...

I just left honest feedback - one star for item description, full 5 stars for the other categories. I wrote: "Diamond cracked! Ebay wouldn't even view my photos - decided in seller's favor. :("

I just got an email from ebay stating that my feedback had been removed. :angryfire:

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry to hear that happened! Since you like the ring, would it work for you to keep the setting and put a different diamond in later, or is the initial cost you paid too much to eat? I don't know if you'd like to post them here, but I am so curious as to what the ebay pic you saw in his listing looked like in comparison to your own pic!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you got it cheaply enough keep the setting that is probably the value of the item, replace the stone (sell it) with a better one. Sorry about Ebay's lacklustre response. I assume it was a large seller which they are probably trying to support.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I'm posting from my mobile as I'm at uni until 5 tonight - I'll post photos from home tonight.

The setting alone definitely NOT worth what I paid, but so be it. There's not really a way to "win" but reusing the setting is definitely a way to minimise the loss. :))

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
Please name the seller as a PSA!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Wow!! Your experience is awful and to be honest, it really surprises me! I've been buying and selling on eBay for 12+ years now and I've seen (as many have), the huge shift eBay and PayPal have slowly but surely done in order to protect the buyer at the cost of the seller. As a seller, I know full well that even though I "prefer" not to issue returns, it's pretty easy for a buyer to get one if they just follow PayPal procedure.

So, your experience makes me REALLY wonder who the seller is as well - I wonder if it's one of those sellers that eBay just protects? One of their high volume sellers, I mean. I've always heard rumors that they do this. But then sometimes I also wonder if a lot has to do with how lucky you get when it comes down to the person at PayPal who reviews your case.

I don't know, I don't have any answers. But I'm truly sorry that you were treated this way!! Often eBay/PayPal makes no sense to me. To be honest I really dislike selling on eBay anymore, the fees have become completely outrageous IMO and sellers normally are offered very little protection. I guess you're the exception this time :(

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1377746584|3511669 said:
I'm posting from my mobile as I'm at uni until 5 tonight - I'll post photos from home tonight.

The setting alone definitely NOT worth what I paid, but so be it. There's not really a way to "win" but reusing the setting is definitely a way to minimise the loss. :))

Bummer I was hoping there would be a happy ending and the setting alone might have been worth the cost. Did you use Paypal or a plastic card or credit card via Paypal. If you used any sort of bank account in Australia you can actually go to the bank or credit card company tell them that the goods were "not as described" and they can in theory reverse the transaction. Paypal will also reverse transactions that you are not happy with provided you can prove the good you received were "not as described." Make sure you point out to any of them how and why they weren't and use the specific terms "not as described" because those words specifically can be used to seek a refund under Aussie consumer trading practises act. If it was me I would also point out to the vendor (I am assuming it was an International transaction) that when they sell something to an Australian they are bound by Australian laws in regards to such purchases.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1377744490|3511651 said:
And it gets even better!!...

I just left honest feedback - one star for item description, full 5 stars for the other categories. I wrote: "Diamond cracked! Ebay wouldn't even view my photos - decided in seller's favor. :("

I just got an email from ebay stating that my feedback had been removed. :angryfire:

That's pretty shocking. Kind of undermines the whole feedback system... :nono:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I don't understand the point of leaving any feedback then if negative feedback is deleted!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I've gotten burned on EBay before too. I sold a designer, item and the buyer was allowed to use it and then return it for a refund weeks later. I, too, had lots of documentation & images and none of that mattered. EBay protects their buyers to the point where it becomes scary for a seller. I'm afraid to sell on there any more. As far as your feedback is concerned, there is certain wording that is prohibited, which is why your feedback was removed. EBay has a guide for what types of feedback commentary is allowed.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paypal might be your only hope if you used it. I suppose eBay supported the vendor because the vendor made it explicitly clear in the advertisement that there is NO returns/refunds, which you accepted when you made your purchase. Hoping that things will be in your favour from a single experience is naive. eBay has both good vendors and scammers, lots of photoshoppers and picture stealing vendors so it is a buyer's beware market.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I understand eBay is inherently risky. I took that risk, and now I want to whinge because I got scammed. To be honest, it floored me - eBay is notoriously tough on sellers, but in this case they didn't even consent to viewing my photos! The eBay buyer protection policy clearly outlines that even when sellers do not offer returns, buyers are protected from misrepresentation.

I can't pursue a refund from Paypal because eBay and Paypal have merged into one giant, faceless entity. You cannot open a Paypal dispute if you have been ruled against by eBay. My only last chance is lodging a transaction dispute with MasterCard.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
justginger|1377779222|3511779 said:
I took that risk, and now I want to whinge because I got scammed.

I understand the purpose of your thread now. :lol: Huh, I did not realize that PP and eBay are now merged.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture of the 'speck' under 20x mag, just taken on my iphone. It is surface-reaching for about half its length - from under the prong all the way until just after it dog-legs and seemingly dives down deeper into the stone.

Gosh the setting is beautiful though, you can see the filigree work.

crack.jpg

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Call. Seriously. Don't give up. I have had that happen and called and talked to a live person with much better result.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
purplesparklies|1377783150|3511821 said:
Call. Seriously. Don't give up. I have had that happen and called and talked to a live person with much better result.

Agreed! I have had it rule in favor of the seller before but then I called to talk to someone. They reopened my case and eventually we came to a settlement everyone seemed content with.

Goodluck Ginger! And FWIW I would put the diamond up on LT/DB as someone is always looking for a stone to bezel for a pendant. You just never know.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree don't give up call someone from Paypal or talk to one of their live people and if that doesn't work ask for their boss. Keep repeating the words the item "was not as described" because that is the sticking point here. You should NOT have to suck it up and pay for something that was incorrectly described.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's outrageous. I understand your frustration!

I buy and sell things on ebay and the feedback system is ridiculous and almost meaningless. Most vendors are honest and want to make it right with their customers but those types of vendors probably describe their items accurately in the ad.

If you paid with a credit card, you are probably in luck to open a dispute with them. I had a problem with a vendor from etsy and paid via Paypal directly out of my checking account and never saw my item or my money again. The vendor kept saying the item had shipped so the dispute lasted longer than the 45 day period Paypal allows. Lesson learned: always use a credit card!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I too am very surprised by the outcome. I have bought and sold on ebay for 12 years, and like other have felt there is a definite shift to the protection of the buyer. And I have read so many times on the ebay boards that unless foul langague is used, it is almost impossible to get feedback removed. I wonder if it is because you mentioned ebay's decision in the comment. Did you buy it from a powerseller? They do seem to get away with a lot more than the average seller.

As a lot of longtime ebayers know, getting results depends on who you talk to. My suggestion would be to read the official ebay guide on how to return items that are not as described and how to file a "SNAD." Also call. If one person does not seem to get it hang up and call again. Ask to speak with a supervisor. Keep at it. I have read many accounts were decisions were overturned.

No returns on ebay are for people who have buyers regret. For items not as described, there is a 45 day return policy that everyone on ebay who sells is subject to. Read the guide and try again. I bet you can get it overturned because that diamond imo has more than a few specs and is not as described.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really very surprised as eBay ALWAYS seems to favor buyers. I can't believe they ruled for the seller! :confused:

Sorry this happened.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I would fight that ruling for sure! That "speck" is NOT a speck! Call them and get a human. If all else fails, dispute with the CC company. I wouldn't let that one drop. How many other people has this been done to?

Years and years ago, i bought a pair of diamond studs on Ebay. Nothing expensive and I wasn't expecting anything amazing. I did expect, however, that they actually look like diamonds. What I got in no way matched the "picture". They looks like gravel. I kid you not. I asked to return them (they did allow returns), they said no. I disputed and left negative feedback. When I left the FB, there was suddenly a whole stong of negs that weren't there previously. Apparently a ton of people were scammed. Someone messaged me and basically said I'd be lucky to get my money back as they never did. I elevated the issue and got very "squeaky". I got my money back. The seller also got booted off- I think there were too many issues all at once and Ebay pulled their plug.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry you got scammed JG. ;(

I never have bought or sold anything on eBay.
I'm not a gambler, and I'm not looking for a deal of a lifetime.

Consequently, I never get killer deals but I never get ripped off either.
I don't do roller coasters either. ;-)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry you got stuck. I really agree that you should talk to a human being -- and go higher & higher on the ladder if they are snarky. Nothing works like talking to the boss. Ask for the name of each person you talk to & write it down. I hope that works, but you do still, in a pinch, have your credit card co. to go to. Such a bummer things aren't more fair. At least the setting looks very nice & might be some sort of a plus, if you have to keep it. Good luck & don't quit yet!

--- Laurie

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
call the MasterCard and dispute it. Call PayPal and complain. If you can't get out from under it, get a OEC FB M-stone sim for it and junk the diamond or sell it as a pendant mounted in sterling or other inexpensive mount, and enjoy the ring.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I guess I was thought I was stuck at this point - I didn't think to actually call Paypal. I did have a look around to try to find a number to contact an eBay rep, but their site is pretty much 'online contact only' in its approach. I didn't think there was a hope of getting a person there.

I'll have to stay up late tonight to navigate the time differences in placing a call. I'll start with PayPal, as my previous dispute process with them actually involved human contact and proceeded fairly and logically. If that doesn't get me anywhere, I've spoken to the bank and they will let me dispute the transaction ('not as described') for up to 90 days. I paid on the 8th of August, so at least I've got a bit of time to work with along both avenues.

Thanks for the moral support guys - I'm not counting on getting this resolved, but will continue trying anyway.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JG - I had a similar thing happen recently on ebay. I ended up opening a not as described claim and within 14 minutes they had sided with the seller and closed the case. I didn't pay with a credit card, I used paypal funds. I'm not thrilled, but I knew there was a chance that would happen and resigned myself to putting something else in the setting a while ago. I hope yours wasn't too much money. Good luck!

April20

Ideal_Rock
You only have a 45 day window to dispute with PP, so whatever you do, don't let that pass!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I've stayed up late and spoken with an ebay representative and I'm stuffed. Just plain stuffed. :nono:

I had the ring forwarded on to me from my parents as the seller didn't mention international shipping, and I knew my mom had a box lined up to send to me. She waited for the ring to arrive, and popped the whole thing, unopened, into her box.

Big mistake. That voids the ebay customer protection policy. ;( I wasn't aware of that - it was my own fault for never reading the fine print in the protection guarantee.

To add insult to injury, Paypal has no such ban on forwarding items -- if I had opened a claim with them, I would have likely won it. But since I opened it with eBay, I am no longer able to open one with Paypal.

So if you're going to try to resolve a dispute, be careful which entity you decide to file with...

My last hope is a credit card 'not as advertised' dispute.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It completely sucks that you are having to jump thru so many hoops. I really hope this gets resolved in your favor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results