shape
carat
color
clarity

First loose peridot - thoughts?

Lebs27

Rough_Rock
Still new to gemstones but my wife likes this stone for its unique color. What do you think?

dscn0730.jpg

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
It's not something I personally would buy, but it's all about what you like so if she likes it, she likes it! And that's what's important.
However if she is after a decent specification on a particular gemstone, this is the place to ask :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your question is somewhat vague. What type of response are you hoping to read? Do you want to know about the cutting? The colour? Something else? Liking a specific hue is a personal preference.

Do you have a frontal view of the stone?
Peridot is a softer stone and generally not recommended as a ring stone but will do as an occasional wear ring stone with care.
Do you have other information to share about your new peridot (ct weight, measurement, origin if you know it)?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
everything Chrono said and asked.

this particular picture of this particular peridot leaves much to be desired, imo. not something i'd buy and/or set but then it could be a very bad picture and not the fault of the stone.

peridot comes in many different shades/hues/tones with some greener and some with more yellow. for me cut is very important when considering a peridot.

the really important thing is whether you and your wife like it. if you've seen it in person and you both love it, then it matters not what I think of the picture. there is something for every budget and perhaps this stone is nice for the price point.

so many things to consider with color stones!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just add that I would not characterize that color as particularly unique for a peridot, so you likely will find upon searching, that you have many more options than you might think. :praise:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only have on peridot, but when I think peridot I think crisp "Granny" apple green. IMHO regardless of the shade of green you prefer, a Peridot is not a very expensive gemstone. So the one you choose should be very lively and sparkly. Perhaps it is just the photography but the stone you posted does not seem very lively to my eyes.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It your wife likes it, I think that's important. If you're asking if has "top" color, it is too dark.

Lebs27

Rough_Rock
Yes, I guess my question was a little vague. I don't know much about the peridot but I thought it was nice looking & appeared pretty clear when using a loupe. Unfortunately my camera here doesn't have a very good close-up setting. I tried a few different angles & lighting & it doesn't come out very good.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Peridot is a clean stone - there is no reason to compromise on clarity. Just as an FYI, eye clean is the standard for most coloured gemstones. There is no need to get a loupe clean stone. The bulk of the price stems from the strength of colour, purity of colour and how dark/light it is. The best peridot should be chrome green with no yellow modifiers and an intense pop of colour. It is a low RI stone though so having a good cut will matter.

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1377863696|3512363 said:
Peridot is a clean stone - there is no reason to compromise on clarity. Just as an FYI, eye clean is the standard for most coloured gemstones. There is no need to get a loupe clean stone. The bulk of the price stems from the strength of colour, purity of colour and how dark/light it is. The best peridot should be chrome green with no yellow modifiers and an intense pop of colour. It is a low RI stone though so having a good cut will matter.

congrats on your first peridot! hopefully this isnt a thread jack, but i have been shopping peridots too recently after seeing one of those chrome greens chrono mentioned. Speaking of 'unique', I have had no luck finding one. is it unrealistic to look esp when chrome diopside is so common?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrome diopside is not only a soft stone but tends to be more commonly overdark. Most aren't very large either.

Shushinator

Rough_Rock
yeah even peridot is softer than id really like for a ring also. chrono id be curious so see a photo of your ideal peridot if you have one and hear your thoughts on availability. it was the attached burmese monster I saw on Pala that pricked my interest :love: :love: but im beginning to think that this shade would easier to come by in other stones; tourmaline etc.

peridot_rough_cut.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This isn't mine but I know the owner of this very delicious peridot.

Attachments

• 22ctburmeseperidot.bmp
    798.8 KB · Views: 274
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results