shape
carat
color
clarity

South Sea Pearl Ring

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have been enjoying my new South Sea pearl ring set in 18 kt red gold with thee blue sheen moonstones and diamonds set in palladium. The pearl was purchased on eBay from Agustus Collection, and is a white round 14mm with a gorgeous pink iridescence. But, let's start the story at the beginning...

Back in February 2013 I contacted Sven at Agustus Collection about the availability of a pair of deep golden pearls which I wanted for earrings. He had recently been on a buying trip and let me know about when they were loading new pearls onto eBay. So, I was checking out the website for goldens when I spotted this big white 14 mm metallic beauty with pink iridescence. I contacted them to get more information about the color of the pearl, and received this response from Edi:

"The body color is a silvery white and the overtone is iridescent pinkish silvery white. Any shading and coloration you see in the photos are reflections from back-ground, light and camera. This is one of the nicest pearls we found in years. The color and iridescence is magnificent."

Well, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with such a pearl, but it was all over for me then. I love silvery tones in my white pearls and the pink was an extra plus. I purchased the pearl, had it half-drilled, and then it was on its way to me.

silverywhitesspearlx.jpg

sspearlwithdimex.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The big silvery pinkish South Sea pearl arrived by Fed Ex two days after leaving Bali.

Wow!!! This was one gorgeous pearl. I was very, very pleased. In real life the pearl is a silvery white and the pink iridescence is quite obvious.

The first photo shows the 14 mm pearl next to four pairs of earrings from Pearl Paradise. Clockwise from the left: 7.5-8mm exotic freshwater with pink overtones, 8-8.5mm blue akoyas, 7-7.5mm white akoya with silver overtones AAA quality, and 7-8mm metallic white freshwater freshadama quality. The metallic whites are the best match. The second photo shows the big pretty pearl in my hand. Yes, I was wearing a blue sweater that day.

pearl_4568.jpg

pearl_4539.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Once I laid eyes on this pearl, I knew it deserved a designer setting. I already had this monster Tahitian pendant set in rose gold with a blue moonstone on top. (Pearl from Sarah at Kojima Pearl, design and setting by Stephen at Stephen Vincent Design in Minneapolis.)

It just seemed like my new pearl should be a ring, and that it should be in red gold.

pendant_2537.jpg

_9281.jpg

pearl_4581.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
In addition to the red gold, I also wanted tiny blue moonstones in the ring design. Katherine of Stephen Vincent Designs took on the challenge.

In June 2013 she travelled to Las Vegas for the JCK gem show and after much searching, found a vendor with tiny faceted 3 mm moonstones with blue sheen. She sorted through hundreds of tiny gems and finally picked out 30 with the bluest sheen. Then she came home and worked on my ring design.

pearl_4584.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
For the ring design I asked for something amazing in red gold and blue sheen moonstones. I think that they delivered. The designer is Katherine at Stephen Vincent Design and the ring was made by Stephen Vincent.

I think it is amazing, and I'm giddy with excitement looking at this pearl and the ring. The setting is 18k red gold with 3 x 3mm faceted blue moonstones and eight graduated tiny diamonds set in palladium. I've had it for exactly two weeks now, and I still can't believe that I own such a beauty.

ring_94.jpg

ring_5856.jpg

ring_5853.jpg

ring_5859.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I hope you enjoy the story and pictures of my pretty pearl ring. Thanks for asking about it. :wavey: :appl: :wavey:

ring_5860.jpg

ring_5866.jpg

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl -- it is an inspirational beauty! Thank you for sharing the story and the details. Wear it in health and enjoyment for many many years to come!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1377317044|3509011 said:
icy_jade|1377312417|3508985 said:
Fly Girl doesn't have a dedicated thread for this beauty... (and her current avatar pic)

But it deserves a thread don't you agree? :naughty:

More pics and details in this thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-are-you-wearing-today.189756/page-17']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-are-you-wearing-today.189756/page-17[/URL]
Thank you so much for the nomination to the Pearls Hall of Fame, icy-jade. You win. :))

I began a thread on my precious, and here is the link.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/south-sea-pearl-ring.192703/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/south-sea-pearl-ring.192703/[/URL]

Hehe. Thanks dear. I was getting impatient to wait for your dedicated thread so I went ahead to post.
Thanks for sharing your pearl story with us. Since I can only live vicariously through others pearl experiences for the next few weeks, I was really happy to see this thread! :lol:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
This is seriously the most beautiful pearl ring I have ever seen! That AMAZING pearl, the design, the combination of diamonds with moonstones, and the red gold with palladium...it is pure perfection :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :love: :love: :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Gorgeous eye candy! Nicely done!

cheers--Sharon

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for posting more info and pictures, Fly Girl! I've been thinking about this ring nonstop since you posted in the other thread. It's spectacular:love:. A large pearl ring is the next entry on my wish list :Up_to_something: .

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: Be still my heart. What a superb ring. And what a lucky girl you are. Bravo :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
This is incredible. I loved it on your hand in other photos but these shots focused on the ring are phenomenal. What an amazing piece!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness this is just beautiful! I love the design! :love:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
It's just amazing - both the pearl and the setting are spectacular!!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Thank you bsomlo, icy_jade, LitGeek, canuk-gal, baby monster, 4Ranch Girl, mrs taylor, redwood66, and misskittycat.

A bit more about the moonstones. Out of the 30 or so that designer Katherine brought back from Las Vegas, I selected the top 3-4 with the best blue sheen. After I picked up the ring I was able to speak with Stephen about how he set the moonstones. Apparently he played around with various backings and finally selected a blacking that really makes the stones pop with blue. They look blue in every light and almost like blue sapphires. But these shots show they really are moonstones and there is less blue sheen from the side.

I am thrilled to have this piece. Both the pearl and the design are awesome.

k_5935.jpg

k_5930.jpg

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
That last photo is fantastic! You can really see the luster of the pearl, the diamonds are so sparkly, and wow those moonstones look super blue :love: :love: :love:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fly Girl, I'd love to get a better sense of the ring's proportions to the hand. Can you post a hand shot from further away? Also, what is the ring size? I'm completely obsessed with your ring :love: :love: :love:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1377637631|3510916 said:
Fly Girl, I'd love to get a better sense of the ring's proportions to the hand. Can you post a hand shot from further away? Also, what is the ring size? I'm completely obsessed with your ring :love: :love: :love:
Here you go baby monster. I have big hands, generally wearing men's small or medium gloves. Ring size is 7.5. The pearl is exactly 14mm in diameter.

And, thank you also, LitGeek.

ringandbracelet_0.jpg

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! Off to think about a very large pearl on my hand....

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Fly Girl|1377656827|3511111 said:
Here you go baby monster. I have big hands, generally wearing men's small or medium gloves. Ring size is 7.5. The pearl is exactly 14mm in diameter.

Ummm... I have a silly question... How do you keep from banging the ring against stuff? I'm terrified of damaging my birds so my new ring isn't getting much wear at all. :-o

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
icy_jade|1377709041|3511373 said:
Fly Girl|1377656827|3511111 said:

Ummm... I have a silly question... How do you keep from banging the ring against stuff? I'm terrified of damaging my birds so my new ring isn't getting much wear at all. :-o
I've been told that I'm pretty gentle with my rings. Just be aware of what you are doing with your hands. Areas where I am extra careful is in opening certain doors, to be sure I don't rub the ring against the wall, and in reaching into tight spaces, such as a pocket or a purse. I would never wear this ring if I am travelling or doing activities where I'm using my hands a lot. But, I can drive, sit at a computer, and go for a walk with no problem. I probably won't wear it a lot in the winter, since in my area it is cold enough that I need to wear gloves out of doors.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results