shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else love those Roaring 20s Art Deco theaters?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was before Internet, TV and even Radio.
Many were lavish temples of superb architecture, interior design and bygone craftsmanship.

We have a few still hanging on here in Southern California, such as the Warner Grand in San Pedro.
There is one in Seal Beach CA, called Bay Theater.
Astonishingly, they still use this old Wurlitzer organ.
Before the movie it appears out of nowhere, on hydraulic tracts under the stage to delight theater goers to some schmaltzy, cory, campy, extraordinary music. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The link below is a website that documents some of them after they closed down.
There are some fantastic high-resolution pictures.
Click on them to blow them up full size.

Enjoy. http://afterthefinalcurtain.net

screen_shot_2013-08-24_at_2.png

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got married in a renovated art deco theater. It had been destroyed by a tornado and abandoned for a long time before being renovated several years ago by some people we know. Don't think it ever had an interior like that, though oddly enough a local high school auditorium does.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was raised in theatres over the years & saw many old art deco Auditoriums etc. There are lots still here in the UK :))

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
postkessler.jpg

Where we had our wedding, about an hour after the wedding was over (which is why the entrance area isn't lit up). Our names were there on the marquee. Heee.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that distracts! :appl:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1377384127|3509274 said:
I love art deco be it architecture, furniture, art. Just love it. I wrote and oversaw some of the contracts involved with restoration of this theatre a long time ago http://www.cascadetheatre.org/page.asp?navid=1034

Wow!
What a cool theater, and great website of the reconstruction. :appl:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1377403270|3509395 said:
also has an organ that rises from the floor at 730p each evening: http://www.stanfordtheatre.org/

What a huge organ! :o :bigsmile:

Again, I love seeing these old theaters and how they are lovingly restored and cherished.
Thanks for posting.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Oh yes, I remember those kinds of theatres. My parents would go on Saturday nite all dressed up to the Paramount theatre in my neck of the woods. It was a grand affair. WE loved it. We had smaller movie theatres scattered all around, but the paramount was the beauty.

A few years ago I was looking for paintings. I found one that shows the Paramount theatre with the surrounding chain stores for that time ( 50's) , It has cars and buses from the forties but the important part is the theatre. Its an oil on canvas and I love it. Its pure nostalgia for me. Love those theatres. Don't know if it survived.

Annette

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm still pissed off that many many years ago one in Sacrament was destroyed to put in a new safeway. yuck.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm currently trying to collect a list of historical theaters that are local (LA-ish) and see if any of them are willing to rent a theater out for a ceremony :wacko: I pass by the old Rialto theater in South Pasadena quite often, and it just breaks my heart. So much history, and it's all taped up and boarded up.

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
madelise|1377455274|3509577 said:
I'm currently trying to collect a list of historical theaters that are local (LA-ish) and see if any of them are willing to rent a theater out for a ceremony :wacko: I pass by the old Rialto theater in South Pasadena quite often, and it just breaks my heart. So much history, and it's all taped up and boarded up.

I live in S. Pasadena and it's a sad waste of history I hope the city will revive it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
yep, the Castro is definitely in the "great" category!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
madelise|1377455274|3509577 said:

You've checked out the Silent Movie Theater, right? It's really cool. I looked there for our wedding.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results