shape
carat
color
clarity

Renovating a Home - What professionals should I hire?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I recently purchased a home that is 55 years in which I am going to renovate and make over. I am looking to add a second floor addition, move the kitchen, move the stairs, remove some walls and potentially support beams. I have a bunch of general contractors who come highly recommended by friends. However, I need some help in design / layout ideas to structure my long term home, someone who actually knows how to keep my home structurally sounds, and someone who can get me the appropriate permits.

What professionals do I need to hire? Is it an architect? An interior designer? And how would I go about hiring these professionals but still using my contractors?

April20

Ideal_Rock
I would start with a good architect. The architect will hire engineers as needed. With a renovation as major as you're describing, you're going to need fully signed and sealed drawings from the architect along with engineered drawings in order to get a building permit. You can use any contractor you want, it's your money. The GC you're considering may have architects that they already have a relationship with. I would ask who they've been working with and interview them along with any others that you may be interested in. Find someone that can help interpret your vision and make it amazing. An interior designer can help with finshes and space planning but you can't work with them alone on a project this big. Many larger architectural firms will have interior designers on staff; smaller firms may or may not have one. It's up to you whether you want to hire an ID in addition to the architect.

Sounds like a fun projects. We've remodeled two houses, but not this extensively.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed ^. Your GC should also be able to help you with your permits. A good GC who has worked in your location (town/county) often will have a good idea of how to navigate the specific permit requirements and processes. Does your location subject your plans to an architectural review? If so I would speak to the review board about their guidelines and see if they have any recommendations for architects, as well. I'm embarking on a much smaller renovation of my retail space and our sign permits, for example, come from the town, but our building permits come from the county. You do have to do your own homework, but a local GC should be able to steer you well.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out the remodeling forum on gardenweb. I've used a few forums and found them very helpful for home improvement.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A shrink.

I cannot image anything more masochistic than remodeling a home.

It will cost thrice as much and take thrice as long as any contractor tells you.
If they tell the truth they'll lost the bid to their competitor.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Charmypoo, I do not have any advice but just wanted to say you go girl! That sounds like a serious renovation, must be a fantabulous location for you to go through all that, keep us updated. Would love to see a thread on this.. hint hint. :wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1372991977|3477472 said:
A shrink.

It will cost thrice as much and take thrice as long as any contractor tells you.
If they tell the truth they'll lost the bid to their competitor.

I do not agree with much of this Kenny. Sure the time frame and cost a contractor quotes you will most likely be off but not as much as you wrote-unless you choose the wrong contractor. We have done 2 full home remodels and they both went as smoothly as could be expected. They also were completed within the time frame each contractor promised they would be. They cost a bit more-I remember the NY apt cost about 1/3 more than we had thought and I cannot remember the other home but it was less than that. In any case our contractor(s) had promised they would have us in by a certain date and they did.

Charmy, you were already given great advice re contractor and architect and engineers etc I just want to repeat the most critical element in this mix is the general contractor you choose. On that choice alone your project can be a success or an exercise in aggravation and stress.

Kenny's experience is probably because the project(s) he is thinking of had a GC that wasn't up to the task or fully honest/reliable/skilled. I can assure you if you have a great GC no matter the problems that will arise (and yes problems always come up with big renovations) he/she will be able to handle it and make it right. And it will cost more money than you think so just budget extra and you will be OK.

We did a whole home renovation in 90 days in NY and it turned out just right as did our other remodel though it took longer. However we were prepared for that.
I remember my NY contractor saying you can get a job done 2 of 3 ways and I remember that to this day. True words.

1. It can be done right
2. It can be done fast
3. It can be done inexpensively

So basically we went for 1 and 2 and paid a lot but you can choose any of the above 2 and if you have a good GC count on it. I recommend not even compromising on 1 but I think you know that lol.

And another piece of advice I can give you is not to live at the home while the renos are taking place but it doesn't sound like you will be so you're in good shape.

Good luck!!!! Very excited for you!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
As a picky person, I believe a whole home renovation is the only way I'm going to get the house I really want.

I'll be watching this thread with interest charmypoo. I'd be very interested in knowing how it all unfolds for you!

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
A shrink.

kenny its your comments that make me wish PS had a like button. you're a bit of what my partner would call a shit-stirer. don't take it as offensive he calls me that all the time. just means you like to stir up a bit of shit :razz: make some trouble, get people involved

charmypoo good on you for taking on the project. i have no advice for you but your doing the kind of thing i would like to imagine i could do but know that i cant. I'm sure it will turn out great

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry for being Debbie Downer.
It's just that for every happy customer I've heard 10 horror stories.

Charmy, I wish you a wonderful experience. :wavey:

_7780.jpg

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
hippi_pixi|1373024604|3477560 said:
A shrink.

I couldn't agree more with Kenny!

DH and I did a partial renovation about two years ago and I still have nightmares. When I read the scope of the work you're planning I wanted to cry :rolleyes:

The fact that you're asking what professionals you need on a jewellery forum shows how desperate/naive you must be.

I wish you well. :wavey:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
isaku5|1373058795|3477797 said:
A shrink.

DH and I did a partial renovation about two years ago and I still have nightmares. When I read the scope of the work you're planning I wanted to cry :rolleyes:

The fact that you're asking what professionals you need on a jewellery forum shows how desperate/naive you must be.

I don't think asking on PS is necessarily naive. There is a font of knowledge about all manner of things here. Presumably charmypoo is exploring all the more conventional avenues as well. Some of my best advice has come from where I least expect it.

I have loads of friends with very smooth renovations. It wasn't cheap, but it certainly wasn't traumatic. Renovations are very common in the UK, and we wouldn't blink an eye on tackling a 200 year old house. 55 years old is practically new!!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
A shrink.

Wow! :o What did Charmypoo do to you?

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo, I would hire an architect and a structural engineer, before starting any work. I'll bet the house has good bones, being built in the late 50's.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
rosetta|1373059986|3477806 said:
A shrink.

I don't think asking on PS is necessarily naive. There is a font of knowledge about all manner of things here. Presumably charmypoo is exploring all the more conventional avenues as well. Some of my best advice has come from where I least expect it.

I have loads of friends with very smooth renovations. It wasn't cheap, but it certainly wasn't traumatic. Renovations are very common in the UK, and we wouldn't blink an eye on tackling a 200 year old house. 55 years old is practically new!!

I agree! My DH and I renovating a ~200 year old house, my in laws' home is approaching ~250, our retail space is over 100.

Building renovation is just like anything else- do your research, choose vendors you like and trust. It scares people because the specs are outside most people's knowledge base; but so are cars, and for that matter, diamonds, and we all buy and work on/with those all the time.

You can and should be prepared to find things you didn't expect, sometimes good (OMG, why would anyone ever cover up these fabulous perfect hardwood floors?!), sometimes bad (uh, mice have eaten the phone lines?!). But I'm going to go ahead and put out there that if you really had that traumatic of a time with your renovation, most of that burden is on you for not researching properly, choosing the right vendor(s), having the appropriate contracts, or having un real expectations.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Charmy-

yes first go with an architect- perferably someone who uses AutoCAD (meaning they are up to date with technology and can show you 3D renderings of your home so you have a pretty good idea of what it will look like...yes yes CADs in jewerly use practically the same program). Definitely interview several architects and see who fits within your budget and have faith in- understand your vision of where you are taking your house. Depending on what state you live in I could give 1 or 2 recommendations.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
Make sure you don't always go with the cheapest bids, get some recommendations from others you know and trust. My husband is remodeling and building an addition for a guy. The people who gave him(the owner) bids on siding and wood were so off that it ended up costing more time and money. Their bids were low because they didn't figure enough material. So far the guy is $45,000 over budget and it's still not done. His remodel/addition cost twice as much as our modest home.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I think you should first hire a professional bank robber.He will come in handy, believe me.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again not to be a Debbie downer, do you really want to do this? Is there something extradinarily special about the location, etc that makes this house irreplaceable? Otherwise I would simply buy a house that has all the things that you want, rather than try to make one house into something that it is not.

Not to say it will cost 3x, but EVERY person I know who has done a significant remodel has never come in budget. This is from a variety of factors, the main one being that the job gets bigger, you change your mind, and also structural things that you find out that requires additional work.

You will need an architect, a structural engineer, and a general contractor. The structural engineer will tell you what needs to be done for what you want to do, the architect will give you a design that fits your needs and the engineers specs, and the contractor will take those blueprints and build from them (or hire out to do so). The general contractor generally is the person who files for permits, variances, and also inspections during the different stages of the renovation.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'd get an architect first. It may not be the most budget-friendly approach, but he or she should bring structural knowledge, awareness of the legislation affecting what you can and can't do in the location, and a designer's eye for detail. (I should add, I'm married to an architect, so I'm biased, but I am in awe of what some architects can see in a building, and of how they translate their vision into reality).

I live in the UK, where we have a set of building regulations that govern the minutiae of construction and renovation or refurb, along with planning law and environmental restrictions. A good architect should be on top of all of that, and they are the things that can cost the money if you don't get them right in the first place, and to some extent, can dictate the look of the project ie ruling out things you set your heart on / requiring you to do things you didn't really want. It will obviously depend on where the house is located, but I'm going to guess there will be similar regulations to content with.

Good luck - and I'd love to see some pics, if you want to share.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Considering all the things you want done, you might do better to (a) look for another house that has all the features you want, or (b) tear down the house you have and get a new one built to your specifications. Either of these choices will probably cost less than extensive renovations to the existing house. If you really want to renovate the existing house, it is a good idea to consult a structural engineer and a building inspector first. You never know exactly what you have to deal with until the walls are torn out and you see what has happened behind the walls. I speak from bitter experience- I am still renovating an 86 year old wreck. Contractor referral services can recommend contractors for the work you need.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
Have you heard of http://www.houzz.com/?? I just saw the founder speak on Bloomberg TV this past week. It seemed from the TV report that they were a fairly new website, but quite successful and growing fast. It's focused on home remodeling projects.

jamesnithan

Rough_Rock
i would suggest you to hire an architect to design your home. Home designing can be challenging task, today homeowners have more options than even before to design your home. Before you begin designing your home plan careful research should be done and make a list of your family's requirements such as how many bed rooms, bathrooms you need and how large each bed room should be. After that you need to consider kitchen designs, once you have decided about your home design, you will need to show this plan to an architect, he will conduct feasible study on your plan and make possible changes, suggestions and draw your home design.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on buying a house Charmy!

We will be doing a ton of reno's just like you but ourselves. Alas we can't afford to do it the way you are but I wish you well!

For interested parties Charmy is in the Toronto area which if you are aware-housing prices are INSANE and pretty much the only way to buy in is getting into an older house that hasn't been redone and by the time the reno's are done she'll have a stunning home in a very desirable area.

Charmy aren't you an engineer of some sort as is your husband? You should know some professionals that do it.

You could always reach out to Mike Holmes from holmes on homes. He at least could find you someone trustworthy if he can't do it himself!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results