shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing stone for replacement engagement ring

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
I need a new engagement ring (just have a cheapy place holder currently), as my original diamond one is too big for my finger and is currently a RHR. I don't want to have it resized because I really really want a coloured stone now I've been introduced :)) My diamond is going into a necklace instead.

So I'm looking for a stone. I'm not set on a specific colour, other than I would like the setting to be rose gold so it has to go with that. I'm thinking cool blues, greens and purples are going to be a no no, however paler greens might be okay.

I'm going to wear it every day so we're talking sapphire or spinel I'd imagine? Would any type of garnet suffice? (I love the mint green ones) or a tourmaline?

Price wise I think my very top amount would have to be $600. This is a new project I'm putting some money from my business into so I can go a little higher than what I've previously looked for. But $450 is pretty high so no going over $600. In fact I only say $600 because it's the price of one I've seen I like :bigsmile:

So yeah, this search is about finding a gem I just fall in love with. Shape wise anything apart from oval (sorry!) I've seen a few I like so maybe I could get some opinions on them?

Link to the video cos it's lush - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0TVbZa-B8c

_9398.jpg

_9399.jpg

_9400.jpg

pinksaph.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want something to go with rose gold, look for warm colours so don't discount blue, green and purple with some red, pink or orange modifiers. Corundum (any sapphire colour or ruby), spinel and chrysoberyl can be worn everyday. Garnet, tourmaline and beryl are not everyday wear stones.

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
I hadn't considered a chrysoberyl as most of the ones I've seen have been fairly cool in colour and I didn't think they'd really suit the setting. But having a flick through the chrysoberyl thread showed up a couple that seem almost mint green, which I think would look nice with the rose gold.

The last two on this page are what I'm referring to:

http://www.gemfix.com/chrysoberyl.html

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've personally always loved mint green and rose gold. Or lavender and rose gold. :)

The first sapphire looks very soft and pretty, but I"m partial to that color I think, lol.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm partial to green in rose gold. I recently saw a pic of a blue sapphire set in rose gold and it was stunning too.

I just picked a spinel for my e-ring so I'm kind of partial to those because they have a lot of sparkle and give off nice flashes of color. They also tend to be affordable, durable and they come in any color you can think of. Not that a sapphire would be a bad choice at all.

Have fun choosing! There are so many great options I think it's going to be harder to just pick one than it will be to find many you fall in love with.

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
I think you're right, I need to narrow my search.

I feel quite good about the idea of a mint green stone. Green is my proper favourite colour so I'm going to focus on chrysoberyls and sapphires (do montana sapphires come in pale greens or green/blues?) I've yet to see a green spinel but I wouldn't say no to one!

What do we think about the cut on these two? Both the colours appeal to me (the first ever so slightly more), and the shapes are good too. Wish they had videos for them.

chrysoberyl_55.jpg

chrysoberyl_0.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results