shape
carat
color
clarity

LD, FrekeChild, and other blue and blue/green gem lovers...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: LD, FrekeChild, and other blue and blue/green gem lovers

Tourmaline is "chippy" and zircon tend to show facet wear and tear (abrasion). The stone linked looks pretty gray and does not scream "zircon" to me.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild|1361397965|3385664 said:
What price range is the ring in?

I have a spinel from AJS, and I thought they were awesome to work with! Rung was great.

Tourmalines seem to chip/break easier, but zircons seem to abrade. What kind of climate do you live in? Dry/dusty? Humid?

3-4k. Thanks, I'll fish through some of my bookmarked ones at AJS ::)

Hmm chipping vs. abrasions...points to ponder. I guess I would rather have abrasions as normal wear and tear rather than a big chunk taken out of it! I am in the midwest so neither dry nor humid? Kinda bipolar weather actually? :loopy:

Chrono|1361398225|3385671 said:
Tourmaline is "chippy" and zircon tend to show facet wear and tear (abrasion). The stone linked looks pretty gray and does not scream "zircon" to me.

You're right, color not what I typically see with zircon but I thought it was nice to be able to see that rainbow refraction.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Abrasion is a different look. The stone becomes less sharp or defined over time, looking hazy or cabochon-like.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

$3-4k is really expensive. My 11mm ring was only $180 and it appears to be more saturated. The Beverley K one cost more because of the ring, but it was still under $1k.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

Chrono|1361399163|3385691 said:
Abrasion is a different look. The stone becomes less sharp or defined over time, looking hazy or cabochon-like.

Ooh. Neither of these possibilities sound attractive!

ForteKitty|1361399574|3385700 said:
$3-4k is really expensive. My 11mm ring was only $180 and it appears to be more saturated. The Beverley K one cost more because of the ring, but it was still under $1k.

Hm yeah. I won't bother posting the new pics...seller said that she had an updated appraisal for even more than the current price, but would "accept" the original price as an offer. It's been listed since November so I'll just let it sit there at that price point.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

She's smokin crack. That other emerald cut with the amazingly saturated non-grey color and pretty setting was way less... and it was way bigger!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

ForteKitty|1361406442|3385821 said:
She's smokin crack. That other emerald cut with the amazingly saturated non-grey color and pretty setting was way less... and it was way bigger!

Pretty good crack I presume! :halo: I don't think it was way less...also 3k but a couple hundred less than the one I posted
For reference:
il_33.jpg
il_34.jpg

emmmme

Shiny_Rock

There has been a lot of crack smoking on PS today!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yow! That is a lot. I assume the setting is platinum? It is a lovely setting but even so, given the fact that the stone is not great color and you'd likely replace it, the ring should be a lot less, say maybe 1/3 the price. That said, I do love that setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's a huge markup, even if it is a platinum setting.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

Sadly no...both are 14k!!! :shock:

FK I just realized, were you referring to the one you sent me not either of these right? I am considering that one mor given the outrageous prices on these two.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

That is way overpriced for both. I like the simplicity of the first setting, but perhaps a more durable stone would be better.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

pandabee|1361452822|3386329 said:

FK I just realized, were you referring to the one you sent me not either of these right? I am considering that one mor given the outrageous prices on these two.

Yea, it was the giant emerald cut one that was really saturated. Color looks like the zircon in my Bev K setting, but a tinge more green. I just looked at the listing and it said the setting is not included though! :(

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pandabee|1361452822|3386329 said:

Whoa, I had no idea! I thought they were way overpriced when you said $3k-$4k! :o :o is right!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

I think I may have found a zircon that will work perfectly!!! :naughty: Will post pictures when it arrives :bigsmile:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Oh yes!! Looking forward to seeing it!!

--- Laurie

Gem Queen

Brilliant_Rock

You guys are so awesome.
I love the way everyone goes out of their way to help someone.
If the world was more like the people on P.S., it would be a better place!! I am honored to be in this group

airdancer

Rough_Rock

Sorry, I'm no use to the discussion. I just want to express my amazement over the Apatite gem. It is gorgeous!

Silverbackmp

Rough_Rock

Afghanistan produces some sea foam green tourmaline with an open c axis; I've got a seven carat one I had set in an 18k rose gold men's ring (bought three thick chains at the Dubai airport and had them melted down). They are rare but you can find them if you keep looking. The very very hard to find ones are the variety that seem to glow in the shade (paraiba-like)-- in viewing tens of thousand of stones over a year in Afghanistan, I located one 4 ct example was unfortunately stolen in the mail.

If you don't need the glow you should be able locate a stone from the various vendors.

bowdenbabies

Rough_Rock

OMG I love the 11mm ring! PLEASE tell me where I can get one like it!!!

bowdenbabies

Rough_Rock

ForteKitty|1361305254|3384561 said:
Both of mine came from ebay! I have a zircon/diamond ring on my ebay watch list, are you interested? I can pm you on fb. :bigsmile:

Oh my goodness ForteKitty.... PLEASE tell me what seller you bought the 11mm ring from! I assume you bought the stone and had it set? Love it!!! Would you be interested in selling yours?!!!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

Figured I should update for completeness...this is the zircon that I ended up purchasing [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-a-blue-stone-for-me-emerald-cut-oceany-zircon.187038/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-a-blue-stone-for-me-emerald-cut-oceany-zircon.187038/[/URL]

and I have finally gotten it unset and am having it set in a 3 stone with traps! Currently still in the CAD phase but here is a teaser...

And because 1 blue/green wasn't enough (because why would it be?), I found this little bugger hiding on Gene's website (under the Fancy Tourmaline section) and decided I need this too! It's quite a chameleon...described as having a touch of gray, it has a blue undertone on my skin and in the sun and only occasionally shows its gray side which I think of a steely cool look.

img_2897.jpg

img_1750.jpg

img_1751.jpg

img_2927.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

bowdenbabies|1377550348|3510131 said:
ForteKitty|1361305254|3384561 said:
Both of mine came from ebay! I have a zircon/diamond ring on my ebay watch list, are you interested? I can pm you on fb. :bigsmile:

Oh my goodness ForteKitty.... PLEASE tell me what seller you bought the 11mm ring from! I assume you bought the stone and had it set? Love it!!! Would you be interested in selling yours?!!!

It's vintage. I bought it as is. And no, it's not for sale.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Soooo, whatcha think of Gene's?

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild|1377585978|3510463 said:
Soooo, whatcha think of Gene's?

:wavey: hi lady! I mentioned above but it may have gotten lost with the other update...I am digging it a lot! It's a real color chameleon but seems to be the gorgeous seafoam blue/green that I love most of the time. I am not 100% sure it'll be "right" in an antique setting that I am imagining but now I'm not sure what type of inspiration to draw for finding a setting (especially as I want to go preloved/ebay this time...1 custom project is enough of a dent to my bank account this year). Not a huge fan of halos. Any ideas for settings? Not many on ebay that can fit a 10mm stone it seems.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results