color
clarity

Thumbsuck Valuation: Citrine and Blue Topaz

mickeyblue42

Rough_Rock
Trade
Good day everyone

I am hoping somebody here can give me an idea of the value of the following

I inherited to heavy 18K gold necklaces set with 3-10 pointer diamonds , 58 grams of 18K gold per necklace...

The centre stones are what I am trying to put a value to. There is

1x 22 carat Citrine - Trillion cut

1 x 57 carat Blue Topaz - Oval cut

Can anybody give me even a ballpark $ per carat on stones like this? I have no certificates or grading but what would be a worst case scenario? I think they are at least fair quality as these necklaces were made for a very exclusive store in the early 90's.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Mike

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first thing I would do is make sure that they aren't synthetics. Secondly, having some idea of colouration will help. Note that citrine and blue topaz are generally common, even in large sizes. Depending on the quality, the citrine could be around $150 and the blue topaz $300 to $500. They will sell for less on the secondary market, as with most other coloured gemstones.

mickeyblue42

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks very much Chrono!

Okay , I will take it to somebody trusted and work it out from there ;-) That makes me very happy however !

If I can get $100 a carat I am going to be buying a lovely 1 carat diamond in exchange so here's hoping ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mickeyblue,
I am sorry that you misunderstood me but I meant $100 for the entire 22 ct citrine, not $100/ct.

mickeyblue42

Rough_Rock
Trade
hahahaha!

Damn... at least I have had a great day. So I guess I will be buying a 10 pointer instead :roll:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The secondary market also works a little differently where one might fork out $100 for a stone from a store but end up selling it for 50% less on their own.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
you will get the most money if you sell it peer to peer, as a necklace, especially if the store is a collectible type brand. You will also get money by selling to a pawn shop, but don't be surprised if they discount the stone and diamonds and give you the gold weight alone.

good luck!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Please remember that the gold weight is significant and may be worth a pretty penny. I don't know if it would be enough to buy a diamond though. Good Luck. I have a 6 cts blue topaz in a 14 kt gold ring. It sells now for about 500.00 retail. Expensive enough!
Good Luck.

Annette

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
so if there are 31.1035 grams per troy ounce, and gold is selling for 1418 per ounce, and each necklace has 58 grams of gold, then

58/31.10347= 1.86X1418X.75=1983 in gold value per necklace. They will not offer you exactly that, take a buyer's commision, but hopefully 90% of that value. but you should get around 3600 if you go to a jewelers/pawnshop for both necklaces, not shabby! Hopefully they will also pitch in some money for the gemstones, but they may not.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results