color
clarity

Anybody else obssessed with Pho???

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1326671899|3103758 said:
HI:

Welllll, I tried Pho and it was beyond delish! The broth and the spicy lemongrass chicken and veggies were unreal--I only had a bite or two of the noodles but think I could become accustomed to eat this more often, PHO-sure!

cheers--Sharon

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1326723351|3104152 said:
canuk-gal|1326671899|3103758 said:
HI:

Welllll, I tried Pho and it was beyond delish! The broth and the spicy lemongrass chicken and veggies were unreal--I only had a bite or two of the noodles but think I could become accustomed to eat this more often, PHO-sure!

cheers--Sharon

Sharon, I'm happy you loved Pho on your first try. I'm just a bit intrigued, it doesn't/ shouldn't have lemongrass in it and shouldn't be spicy either (but of course one can add chillies and chilli sauce to make it spicy).

It was an option. There were many different subtypes on the menu--and I chose that one. There was the beef and vegetarian, but this one sounded delish--and I was not disappointed! Does the "traditional" pho one have beef and noodles or is just noodles and veggies? BTW there was a lot of chili in it--my eyes were almost watering! (in a good way)

cheers--Sharon

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="canuk-gal|1326759273|3104637It was an option. There were many different subtypes on the menu--and I chose that one. There was the beef and vegetarian, but this one sounded delish--and I was not disappointed! Does the "traditional" pho one have beef and noodles or is just noodles and veggies? BTW there was a lot of chili in it--my eyes were almost watering! (in a good way)

cheers--Sharon[/quote]

Sharon, if one wants to categorise, one might call beef Pho the real or "traditional" Pho and chicken Pho "non-traditional". But that restaurant did something funny (as in weird) with it! Pho is NOT supposed to have lemongrass in it - AT ALL!! Putting lemongrass in Pho is practically blasphemous, ha ha! It's like you're eating chilli con carne and you get a, say, curry flavour. I mean I love curry but I just don't expect curry powder to be added to chilli con carne. Just like I love lemongrass but def NOT in Pho. Also, making the broth (non-optional) spicy is another absolute no-no!! :nono:

By the way, there's another noodle-soup called Bun Bo Hue (it originates from Hue, the old imperial city of Vietnam) which DOES have lemongrass and is also *supposed* to be spicy hot (but then again some ppl opt for the milder version). It's actually really really delicious. I love it as much as I love Pho. I am surprised this one hasn't caught on in terms of popularity outside of VN (but it is very popular in VN). I suspect it must be because some ppl don't find it as easy to make (but I make it all the time, cuz my dad's family is originally from Hue and my mom's MIL taught her to make it and then mom taught me). I'd have been inclined to guess that you had this instead, but you said you had it with chicken and unlike Pho, Bun Bo Hue NEVER has chicken it it.

Incidentally, I love vegetarian food, but am also intrigued by vegetarian Pho. I wonder how they make the broth - it must have a lot of MSG in it, I suspect. And how do they make it flavourful, cos the broth is supposed to have beef or chicken bones to impart the flavouring. :confused:

What kind of veggies did you have, Sharon? One is only supposed to add beansprouts (and even so, the purists wouldn't add them either). Purists would only have the broth, beef and noodles; but everyone I know add herbs and fresh chillies and even freshly ground pepper, the latter I absolutely adore.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Phoenix|1325433299|3092842 said:
Okie, here you are, my fellow PS'ers. Here's my (mom)'s recipe. I am not a cook that uses things in precise quantities but appreciate it can be hard for anyone who's not made Pho before. So I've tried - to the best of my ability - to quantify the ingredients and make suggestions as to the amounts to use and the time things take. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

PHO RECIPE
(for 6-8 servings)

1 kg = 2lbs roughly
1 litre = 1 quart roughly

Ingredients - for the broth
• 2-3kg of beef bones (any kind including knuckle, leg, oxtails. I prefer not to use bones with marrow since that stuff is too rich!)
• 0.5-1kg of beef (stewing beef, cubed or roughly chopped into larger pieces)
• 0.5-1kg of pork bones / or pork ribs chopped into large pieces
• 3-4 medium-sized carrots, peeled and chopped into half-inch pieces
• fresh ginger (old ginger is better than young ginger) - about the length of one finger and the wide of two finger widths: peeled and sliced into thin pieces
• 1 large white onion – peeled, unsliced but halved
• 1 large white onion – peeled, sliced into small segments and baked/ broiled in the oven (on top of a piece of aluminium foil) until golden brown (but not burnt)
• 5-6 whole star aniseeds
• 6-8 whole cloves
• 2-3 medium-sized cinnamon sticks
• 1 teaspoon of coriander/ cilantro seeds and / or a small bunch of coriander roots (washed but not chopped)
• 0.5 - 1 teaspoon of black peppercorns
• 1 kg of flank steak or sirloin steak (I prefer sirloin) – thinly sliced
• 1 TEAspoon of sugar (white or brown is fine, rock sugar is even better)
• 2 tablespoons of fish sauce

Condiments – to serve as you eat
• 1 bunch of spring onions – thinly sliced
• Holy or Thai basil leaves
• Coriander/ cilantro leaves – roughly chopped
• Mint leaves
• 1 white onion – very thinly sliced
• Fresh chillies – sliced (optional)
• Fresh high-quality fish sauce (optional - add to taste)
• Chilli sauce (optional – add to taste)
• Hoisin sauce (optional – add to taste)
• Lime wedges (add to taste)
• Fresh beansprouts (add to taste)
• Dry flat rice noodles (2 packets – depending on the weight of each packet but 2 kgs in total should be more than plenty) – soak in COLD water for about 1-2 hours.
• Or fresh flat rice noodles if you can get them. Do NOT soak the fresh noodles.

Cooking Method

1. First, wash all the bones thoroughly and put them in a very large pot (8-10 litre) and cover them with water, almost to the rim (about 2 inches below the rim)
2. Add the sliced ginger, carrots, the halved onion. Do NOT add the golden brown onion yet (as it would become soft and mushy).
3. Put the pot onto the highest setting on your stove, bring it to the boil, turn it down a little and let it boil for about an hour. Skim off all the impurities.
4. Add the star aniseeds, cloves, cinnamon, black peppercorns and coriander seeds/ roots. I’d suggest adding a little at a time, as people’s taste varies and some prefer the broth to be more spicy whereas some prefer it less so (there’s no hard and fast rule and you certainly do not have to use the amounts I’ve listed above).
5. Turn the fire down to medium and continue to boil for another 4-5 hours or until the meat is no longer hard/ tough (but does not have to be soft). REMEMBER to watch the pot throughout all this time and continue adding fresh water into the pot (roughly about 3-4 times) as it will evaporate very quickly. Continue to skim off the fat and scum that float onto the surface.
6. Turn the fire down to low. Add the sugar and fish sauce and the baked golden brown onion segments and continue to simmer for one more hour.
7. At this stage, the broth should be basically done, when the broth goes down to about two-thirds of the pot (ie. the top of the broth is roughly about 3-4 inches away the rim of the pot).
8. Taste the broth and add more fish sauce and/ or a tiny pinch of salt if so desired. You can also leave the fire on simmer for another hour or so (but remember to add more water if the broth becomes too concentrated).
9. Make sure you taste the broth again before you serve it, do add water (if the broth tastes too concentrated) or boil more (if the broth seems too diluted).
10. Remember to take the lid off the pot throughout the cooking process, until the broth is done. Then cover it until you’re ready to serve/ eat; at which time you bring it back to the boil (see below).

Serving Method

• Before you serve, try to take the spices (ie. cloves, star aniseeds, cinnamon etc) out of the broth, as these are not to be eaten and can be bitter if chewed on.
• Also remove the bones and the stewed beef and pork
• Use a medium-sized pot and boil water for the noodles
• Bring the broth back to the boil; at the same time place a handful of noodles onto a “straining-ladle” (ie. one with holes to help the water to escape) or “baskets” (ie. wired baskets with large holes and long handles - you should be able to buy these baskets from your Asian supermarket)
• Very quickly plunge the ladle/ basket containing the noodles into the boiling water for literally 10 secs and no more (if fresh noodles) or 1 min or so until no longer hard but not mushy (if dry but soaked). Take the straining-ladle or basket out, shake off the excess water and put the noodles into a medium-sized bowl. Do this for about 2-3 bowls at a time (if you prepare more than 3 bowls at a time, the noodles will cool down and may get stuck together).
• Line the bowls up. Place the fresh beef slices on top of the noodles. Add sliced spring onions.
• Ensuring the broth is still boiling hard and steaming, ladle the broth onto the bowl. Repeat with the next 1-2 bowls. Serve all immediately.
• Repeat the process (boiling the noodles, ladle the broth onto the bowls etc) & serve immediately.
• The pho should be eaten immediately when served (otherwise the broth will cool down too much and / or noodles become mushy!).
• Add the condiments as per the list above – to taste.

ENJOY!!:))

Thank you Phoenix for the recipe! I'd like to try your recipe Phoenix, but I am a little confused.

When you say bones, you mean ONLY bones, no meat on them?

And the stewing beef you mentioned in the ingredients...they are not mentioned in any steps except for removing it at the end. Do they go in with the bones in the beginning? I take it the sirloin steak, sliced thin, goes in when the noodles are done and then the broth is poured on top of it all, correct? You do actually note this step, but I want to clarify because the sirloin is listed as an ingredient for the broth, but it never goes into the pot, yes?

Would you say you add the water about once an hour, and back to the original line you started (2 inches below rim?)

I hope to try it in the next couple of weeks!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
The tough part is who to invite over to eat some, because this is a lot of work for two people to eat it "fresh" when we can go out and buy two bowls of good pho for $12. ::) Still, I've always wanted to learn how to make it!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="TravelingGal|1326774887|31049067.
Thank you Phoenix for the recipe! I'd like to try your recipe Phoenix, but I am a little confused.

When you say bones, you mean ONLY bones, no meat on them?

And the stewing beef you mentioned in the ingredients...they are not mentioned in any steps except for removing it at the end. Do they go in with the bones in the beginning? I take it the sirloin steak, sliced thin, goes in when the noodles are done and then the broth is poured on top of it all, correct? You do actually note this step, but I want to clarify because the sirloin is listed as an ingredient for the broth, but it never goes into the pot, yes?

Would you say you add the water about once an hour, and back to the original line you started (2 inches below rim?)

I hope to try it in the next couple of weeks![/quote]

You're very welcome, TG.

Beef bones can be bones with meat on them or without - either way, as long as you use a decent amount of bones to give the broth a nice rich flavour.

The stewing beef: strictly speaking, you don't really need to add stewing beef if you use enough bones, but I just like it as it makes the broth even more rich and therefore more tasty. You can add it in with the bones right at the beginning or a bit later, it doesn't really matter as long as it gets cooked thoroughly and long enough to impart all the flavour into the broth. Then, at the end, since there's no more taste in this beef (and it'll have disintegrated anyway), you should just take it out.

[I'd like to also tell you that you can add another lot of stewing beef UNSLICED towards the last 2 hrs of the cooking process. Then you can take it out, slice it and add it to your bowl. I didn't include in the original recipe above, as not too many ppl like well-cooked and slightly chewy beef ; but this is totally up to you].

Yes, you're correct w.r.t the sirloin steak, unless you like your meat well done. Usually, it's just laid on top of the noodles and then the boiling broth is ladled into the bowl, thus partially cooking the beef slices.

Regarding topping up the broth with fresh water, yes that sounds about right. To be absolutely honest, I don't time mine. I just check it from time to time and if the broth level goes down, I add fresh water to it. Towards the end, the water should not be so much, it should roughly be about 3 or 4 inches away from the top of the pot. As mentioned, the key is to taste the broth and add more water or conversely boil it down some more, and if necessary add more fish sauce a little bit at a time cuz that stuff is quite salty - just adjust according to your own taste.

I know that Pho can be time-consuming to make but it is sooooo rewarding. Once you've made it and eaten it, I promise you will NEVER eat the stuff outside again. Your guests will love you (even more) for it!! :wink2: Also, you can make the chicken version if it's just you and your DH - it's simpler and takes less time. I can amend the recipe if you/ anyone else are/ is interested.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Phoenix! Yes, if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to try chicken pho...I like it too, plus we always have a whole chicken in the freezer in reserve. But I definitely love beef pho more so I will have to get my act together to try this. I appreciate the time you spent putting this all together!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix|1326774012|3104897 said:
By the way, there's another noodle-soup called Bun Bo Hue (it originates from Hue, the old imperial city of Vietnam) which DOES have lemongrass and is also *supposed* to be spicy hot (but then again some ppl opt for the milder version). It's actually really really delicious. I love it as much as I love Pho. I am surprised this one hasn't caught on in terms of popularity outside of VN (but it is very popular in VN). I suspect it must be because some ppl don't find it as easy to make (but I make it all the time, cuz my dad's family is originally from Hue and my mom's MIL taught her to make it and then mom taught me). I'd have been inclined to guess that you had this instead, but you said you had it with chicken and unlike Pho, Bun Bo Hue NEVER has chicken it it.

I love Bun Bo Hue more than Pho. My MIL makes awesome Bun Bo Hue. Yum. I think I'll request that for my birthday meal. =D

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I admit I am new to this pho gig and really enjoyed chicken and think it not likely I'd eat the beef, so I am glad there is a non-traditional option. There was plain chicken, and traditional pho (beef) and this spicy lemongrass option, so I suspect it is their take on pho. Perhaps they didn't call it that, exactly. Sorry! And yes, Phoenix bean sprouts were the "veggies". Maybe slivers of carrots and green onion??

BTW, I add cumin to my chili (con carne).... :lickout: :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

usnwife

Rough_Rock
Every time I see this topic, it makes me sad. :(( I am currently stuck on a small island in the Middle East- and there is no PHO.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1326847029|3105469 said:
HI:

I admit I am new to this pho gig and really enjoyed chicken and think it not likely I'd eat the beef, so I am glad there is a non-traditional option. There was plain chicken, and traditional pho (beef) and this spicy lemongrass option, so I suspect it is their take on pho. Perhaps they didn't call it that, exactly. Sorry! And yes, Phoenix bean sprouts were the "veggies". Maybe slivers of carrots and green onion??

BTW, I add cumin to my chili (con carne).... :lickout: :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

You're too funny! And yes, cumin in chilli con carne is de rigeur daaaahhling! :bigsmile:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1326817736|3105138 said:
Thank you Phoenix! Yes, if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to try chicken pho...I like it too, plus we always have a whole chicken in the freezer in reserve. But I definitely love beef pho more so I will have to get my act together to try this. I appreciate the time you spent putting this all together!

No problem at all. I'm happy to be able to help you guys, and am proud that so many people around the world love this quintessential Vietnamese dish! :appl:

I will try and post the chicken version recipe within the next few days.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
usnwife|1326862959|3105676 said:
Every time I see this topic, it makes me sad. :(( I am currently stuck on a small island in the Middle East- and there is no PHO.

Can you try and make it, esp. the chicken version? It's really quite straightforward.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's the chicken Pho recipe for Dreamer and anyone else who may be interested. I prefer organic free-range chicken as the meat is firmer and flavour better but you certainly don't have to use organic and/ or free-range. Pls note that I've cut down the cooking time, but remember that for any kind of Pho, the longer you cook the broth the better it will taste. :lickout:

CHICKEN PHO RECIPE
(for 2-3 servings)

1 kg = 2lbs roughly
1 litre = 1 quart roughly

Ingredients - for the broth
• 2 large organic free-range chickens (large = 2.5 - 3 kgs each); one chopped into large-ish pieces and one whole. Remove skin if possible (otherwise you can remove skin later on after the chicken has been cooked)
• 2 kgs of organic free-range chicken bones
• 0.5kg of pork bones / or pork ribs chopped into large pieces (for beef Pho, I should state 1kg each of stewing beef and 1kg of pork bones as 0.5kg is just not enough for 6-8 servings)
• 2-3 medium-sized carrots, peeled and chopped into half-inch pieces
• fresh ginger (old ginger is better than young ginger) - about the length of half a finger and the width of two fingers: peeled and sliced into thin pieces
• 1 small white onion – peeled, unsliced but halved
• 1 small white onion – peeled, sliced into small segments and baked/ broiled in the oven (on top of a piece of aluminium foil) until golden brown (but not burnt)
• 2 medium (or 3 small) whole star aniseeds
• 2-3 whole cloves
• 2 small-sized cinnamon sticks
• 0.5 teaspoon of coriander/ cilantro seeds and / or a small bunch of coriander roots (washed but not chopped)
• 1/4 teaspoon of black peppercorns
• 1 TEAspoon of sugar (any kind) (for beef Pho, I should amend this to 2 teaspoons of sugar)
• 1 tablespoon of fish sauce (again for beef Pho, 2 tablespoons)

Condiments – to serve as you eat
• 1 bunch of spring onions – thinly sliced
• Holy or Thai basil leaves
• Coriander/ cilantro leaves – roughly chopped
• Mint leaves
• 1 small white onion – very thinly sliced
• Fresh chillies – sliced (optional)
• Fresh high-quality fish sauce (optional - add to taste)
• Chilli sauce (optional – add to taste)
• Hoisin sauce (optional – add to taste)
• Lime wedges (add to taste)
• Fresh beansprouts (add to taste)
• Dry flat rice noodles (1 packet) – soak in COLD water for about 1-2 hours.
• Or fresh flat rice noodles if you can get them. Do NOT soak the fresh noodles.

Cooking Method1.
1. First, take the ONE chopped chicken (leave the other one ‘til later), all the bones (chicken and pork), wash all thoroughly and put them in a large pot (4 litre) and cover them with water, almost to the rim (about 2 inches below the rim)
2. Add the sliced ginger, carrots, the halved onion. Do NOT add the golden brown onion yet (as it would become soft and mushy).
3. Put the pot onto the highest setting on your stove, bring it to the boil, turn it down a little and let it boil for about an hour. Skim off all the impurities.
4. Add the star aniseeds, cloves, cinnamon, black peppercorns and coriander seeds/ roots. I’d suggest adding a little at a time, as people’s taste varies and some prefer the broth to be more spicy and intensely aromatic whereas some prefer it less so (there’s no hard and fast rule and you certainly do not have to use the amounts I’ve listed above).
5. Add the other WHOLE chicken, turn the fire down to medium and continue to boil for another 45 mins (remember to turn it to ensure it’s cooked throughout). Watch the pot throughout all this time and continue adding fresh water into the pot as it evaporates very quickly (but not as much water as you would for the beef version as this one takes less time). Continue to skim off the fat and scum that float onto the surface.
6. Take out the whole chicken and leave it to cool down. Then, shred as much meat as you’d like to eat (thin long pieces are nicer than thick small ones). Put the unshredded chicken and bones back into the broth.
7. Turn the fire down to low. Add the sugar and fish sauce and the baked golden brown onion segments and continue to simmer for another 15 mins to half an hour (longer is better).
8. At this stage, the broth should be basically done, when the broth goes down to about two-thirds (ie. the top of the broth is roughly about 3-4 inches away the rim of the pot).
9. Taste the broth and add more fish sauce and/ or a tiny pinch of salt if so desired.
10. Make sure you taste the broth again before you serve it, do add water (if the broth tastes too concentrated) or boil it down a bit more (if the broth seems too diluted).
11. Remember to take the lid off the pot throughout the cooking process, until the broth is done. Then cover it until you’re ready to serve/ eat; at which time you bring it back to the boil (see below).

Serving Method
• Take the spices (ie. cloves, star aniseeds, cinnamon etc) out of the broth, as these are not to be eaten and can be bitter if chewed on.
• Remove all the bones and disintegrated chicken and pork meat
• Use a medium-sized pot and boil water for the noodles
• Bring the broth back to the boil; at the same time place a handful of noodles onto a “straining-ladle” (ie. one with holes to help the water to escape) or “baskets” (ie. wired baskets with large holes and long handles - you should be able to buy these baskets from your Asian supermarket)
• Very quickly plunge the ladle/ basket containing the noodles into the boiling water for literally 10 secs and no more (if fresh noodles) or 1 min (if dry but soaked). Take the straining-ladle or basket out, shake off the excess water and put the noodles into a medium-sized bowl. Do this for about 2 bowls at a time.
• Line the bowls up. Place the shredded chicken on top of the noodles. Add sliced spring onions.
• Ensuring the broth is still boiling hard and steaming, ladle the broth onto the bowls. Serve immediately.
• The pho should be eaten immediately when served (otherwise the broth will cool down too much and / or noodles become mushy!).
• Add the condiments as per the list above – to your own taste.

ENJOY!!:))

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tgal, if you make it please post how it went for you!!! I want to try making it!

PHX, I had to giggle, I know I am a big dork but I noticed your user name is PHO-ENIX! :bigsmile: thanks for the awesome recipes!!! :appl:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Phoenix! I've emailed my vietnamese galpal to see where the best place is around here to pick up some of the ingredients With any luck, I will try the chicken one next week. I don't know of anywhere around here that I can just pick up chicken bones (and not the rest of the chicken)...is this something you can easily buy there?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1327074578|3107436 said:
Here's the chicken Pho recipe for Dreamer and anyone else who may be interested. I prefer organic free-range chicken as the meat is firmer and flavour better but you certainly don't have to use organic and/ or free-range. Pls note that I've cut down the cooking time, but remember that for any kind of Pho, the longer you cook the broth the better it will taste. :lickout:

Sorry, TGal, I meant to write your name but my brain is kind of screwed today!

I made chicken Pho tonight btw and it's delish! :lickout:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal|1327080884|3107506 said:
Thanks Phoenix! I've emailed my vietnamese galpal to see where the best place is around here to pick up some of the ingredients With any luck, I will try the chicken one next week. I don't know of anywhere around here that I can just pick up chicken bones (and not the rest of the chicken)...is this something you can easily buy there?

Can you buy some chickens, take out the meat, freeze it for some other recipes and use the bones for this? I use chicken bones here cuz they're readily available in the supermarkets and wet markets.

Otherwise, just use whole chickens. I'd recommend 2 large chickens in the stock then (instead of 1 large chicken + chicken bones). I'd still use the pork bones as well.

Good luck. Come back and post if you have any Q's - even while you're making it. I'll make sure to check in then.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy|1327079690|3107491 said:
Tgal, if you make it please post how it went for you!!! I want to try making it!

PHX, I had to giggle, I know I am a big dork but I noticed your user name is PHO-ENIX! :bigsmile: thanks for the awesome recipes!!! :appl:

You ARE a dork! Too funny!! :appl: :bigsmile:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TGal,

I just wanted to let you know that:

i) if you first cook the broth for say 2 hrs instead of 1 - see step 3 in recipe - it'll be soooo much better (sometimes I cook the broth one day in advance and leave it overnight in the fridge; it tastes so much better the next day); and

ii) you might want to add more star aniseed, cloves and cinnamon; the broth is more aromatic and more tasty with extra spices (I think I was a little too careful with the recipe).

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
anyone make Pho? I need to!

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
We made all-Vegetable pho last Friday [lent] using all the chicken condiments posted by Phoenix, Delish!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been wanting to make this forever! I think I will try this weekend!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was having beef pho cravings the last 2 weeks. I've been to two places close to work - they DID hit the spot, but they aren't as good as the pho in NYC. One place served it up with a little extra thai flavoring, while restaurant #2 didn't serve it up with the different cuts of meat that I'm used to in ordering a #1 or #2 off any pho restaurant - lol!

My co-worker swears his wife makes the BEST pho, and has been promising to invite us over for the past year. Time to shake him down for an invite! :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results