shape
carat
color
clarity

Help evaluate this 5ct purple spinel?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
The purplr spinel is 5.01ct, eye clean, and looks like to have an acceptable cut. 10.4*8.5
I'm not too familiar with larger spinels and would love to hear your thoughts on what would be a decent price for it?

Thanks

t2qwc0xmxxxxxxxxxx___13239402.jpg

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
one more picture

burma.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have a fair amount of extinction, or is that just a trick of the camera/photos?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1377112828|3507436 said:
Does it have a fair amount of extinction, or is that just a trick of the camera/photos?

I think it has some extinction, but not a fair amount.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color very much - sort of a soft, antique pinkish purple? Anyway, I do notice that it must be fairly deep if the dimensions you stated of 10.4*8.5 are correct; its facing up like a smaller stone (that said, I don't think you'd want it any bigger on your hand, as it looks great on you as is). The color is fairly available (I see similar ones on ebay), so, since its not precision cutting, I would guess somewhere between $50-$90/carat (would obviously be a lot higher if it was precision cut). If the extinction is as prominent as it appears, that would knock the price down more. Does that help?

Knowing you and your deals, you probably got it for considerably less! :bigsmile: :appl:

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1377122182|3507528 said:
I like the color very much - sort of a soft, antique pinkish purple? Anyway, I do notice that it must be fairly deep if the dimensions you stated of 10.4*8.5 are correct; its facing up like a smaller stone (that said, I don't think you'd want it any bigger on your hand, as it looks great on you as is). The color is fairly available (I see similar ones on ebay), so, since its not precision cutting, I would guess somewhere between $50-$90/carat (would obviously be a lot higher if it was precision cut). If the extinction is as prominent as it appears, that would knock the price down more. Does that help?

Knowing you and your deals, you probably got it for considerably less! :bigsmile: :appl:

Hi Minou, I didn't get it yet, so that was not my hand. It's the seller's hand, I assume it would look bigger on mine though.
As for size, yes that's the correct size. It is a bit deep.
Unfortunatelly I wish I can find really good deals, and I just don't have that ability :blackeye: I wish I can get it at the price range you suggested, I would buy it in a second....Unfortunally asking price for this stone is near 2k and seller says there's not much room to negotiate afterall 5ct is pretty large for spinels...Do you think that's reasonable??

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've noticed when spinels get above 3 carats, the price jumps exponentially, and then above four and five. I think $2K is actually a price I've seen similar stones for in the 5 carat range. Can you get a picture in artificial light (preferably fluorescent?). I think it's a pretty soft purplish pink by the look of your pictures. It reminds me of some Burmese material I've seen.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First, I beg to differ with you OTL, as I have been impressed with some of the great deals you've gotten in the past, like a blue sapphire (or spinel maybe?) that was an amazing price.

Second, I defer to TL on matters of pricing. I gave the prices I did for a few reasons. First, I do see that color range frequently. I cannot tell from the photos where it falls on the range - if it would read as bright or dusty. If it were bright, then yes, TL is probably closer. Second, I would hope that for a $2K price tag, one would be getting an extremely well cut stone - hopefully, precision cutting. That stone is clearly not precision cut, appears to my eye that it may have a fair amount of extinction, and faces up small for its size because of its depth (which probably accounts for some of the extinction). For these reasons, I mistakenly assumed that it was an ebay stone with ebay pricing.

I know you know the usual suspects OTL, but I would try Gemcal, Gemline/Litnon, Tan, and Jeff Davies to see if you can find a close comp for a lower price. And I just noticed that Hemi/Gemcal have not made it on our trusted vendors list - must go fix that right now!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To second Minou's suggestion, Jeff Davies has a few large purple spinels on his Pinterest page that might help with price comparisons (one already set in a ring). I do like the color on the one you are considering, it seems bright to me.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think $2K is unreasonable for that purple spinel. I've seen higher and lower, depending on the vendor. That's a lovely soft pinkish purple. As you know, spinels are kings/queens of shifting so I would follow up on the indoor colouration.

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1377127696|3507618 said:
I've noticed when spinels get above 3 carats, the price jumps exponentially, and then above four and five. I think $2K is actually a price I've seen similar stones for in the 5 carat range. Can you get a picture in artificial light (preferably fluorescent?). I think it's a pretty soft purplish pink by the look of your pictures. It reminds me of some Burmese material I've seen.

You are right TL, it is from Mogok.And seller claimed the real stone a little more purple less pink which intrigues me. I'm starting to appreciate purple recently, so I would want as little pink as possible. You know how hard it is to find real PURPLE spinel...like sapphire purple.. ;(

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1377142700|3507803 said:

You are right TL, it is from Mogok.And seller claimed the real stone a little more purple less pink which intrigues me. I'm starting to appreciate purple recently, so I would want as little pink as possible. You know how hard it is to find real PURPLE spinel...like sapphire purple.. ;(

Yes, it is extremely difficult to find that purity of hue offered by purple sapphire, unfortunately ;( . But that said, please don't think this stone is a good comp because at least on my monitor, this stone is not all that - not highly saturated and definitely more pink than purple - unless that is in fact the kind of sapphire you seek?

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1377128644|3507628 said:
First, I beg to differ with you OTL, as I have been impressed with some of the great deals you've gotten in the past, like a blue sapphire (or spinel maybe?) that was an amazing price.

Second, I defer to TL on matters of pricing. I gave the prices I did for a few reasons. First, I do see that color range frequently. I cannot tell from the photos where it falls on the range - if it would read as bright or dusty. If it were bright, then yes, TL is probably closer. Second, I would hope that for a $2K price tag, one would be getting an extremely well cut stone - hopefully, precision cutting. That stone is clearly not precision cut, appears to my eye that it may have a fair amount of extinction, and faces up small for its size because of its depth (which probably accounts for some of the extinction). For these reasons, I mistakenly assumed that it was an ebay stone with ebay pricing.

I know you know the usual suspects OTL, but I would try Gemcal, Gemline/Litnon, Tan, and Jeff Davies to see if you can find a close comp for a lower price. And I just noticed that Hemi/Gemcal have not made it on our trusted vendors list - must go fix that right now!

Thanks for recognizing that. I wish I have that good luck in future buyings

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
kgizo|1377135467|3507691 said:
To second Minou's suggestion, Jeff Davies has a few large purple spinels on his Pinterest page that might help with price comparisons (one already set in a ring). I do like the color on the one you are considering, it seems bright to me.

Thanks kgizo, I went to see Jeff's spinels, while they do have good cutting, but all of them are sort of a dark pink color(large ones) which is the kind of purplish pink I am trying to avoid. But they are very good examples of pink spinels:)

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1377143071|3507808 said:

Yes, it is extremely difficult to find that purity of hue offered by purple sapphire, unfortunately ;( . But that said, please don't think this stone is a good comp because at least on my monitor, this stone is not all that - not highly saturated and definitely more pink than purple - unless that is in fact the kind of sapphire you seek?

Yes I noticed this is not that purple sapphire purple. But it is closer than most purlish pink ones...I do have another option that is the hot purple/lavender but it is same price yet only 3ct. Also a little deep....Which one should I buy ;( ;( ;(

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Can you see both in person?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OTL|1377144105|3507816 said:
minousbijoux|1377143071|3507808 said:

Yes I noticed this is not that purple sapphire purple. But it is closer than most purlish pink ones...I do have another option that is the hot purple/lavender but it is same price yet only 3ct. Also a little deep....Which one should I buy ;( ;( ;(

Why don't you just wait a while, and keep searching, until you find the one that you really want. $2K is a lot of money to part with on something you're only partially pleased with.

When you say "sapphire purple," what color are you talking about? There are lots of different shades of purple sapphire as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results