shape
carat
color
clarity

Cheese making, anyone?

April20

Ideal_Rock
I'm currently living in a 3rd world country. Any refrigerated dairy is hard to come by. There are a few "American style" grocery stores that have things like cheese, but I can't get to them regularly and when I do, it's pretty expensive.

We love cheese. We can't easily get it. Challenge accepted.

I've heard I can get "real" milk at one of the stores (aka not ultra pasteurized, long life stuff), but it's really not practical for me. What I can get is whole milk powder. I brought back some citric acid and rennet from my recent trip home and I decided to try it out today with a simple mozzarella. It came out okay. I believe it got it too hot at the very end judging by the size of my curds. It's better than the stuff I tried to make before I got the citric acid and rennet so I'm not complaining! I also made a whole milk "ricotta". That came out very well.

I have the cultures to make cheddar and a cheese press but I have to get real milk first. And it's a little intimidating to say the least. I tend to do things with wild abandon and ordered the stuff BEFORE I read all the directions. It's an all day affair followed by 60 days of curing!

Anyone else ventured into cheese making? Would love any tips. I'm attaching a couple pics from today, one of my mozzarella in the pot and one of my ricotta draining.

_9296.jpg

_9297.jpg

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
Great pictures! We make our own yogurt, cheese and bread with the leftover whey when we can. Feta is our top favorite followed by quick Mozzarella. Whole milk powder is great. I prefer pasteurized milk and vegetarian Fromase Rennet. I mostly begin with 93F milk and always dilute rennet in non-chlorinated water. Any questions I'll try to help, good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results