shape
carat
color
clarity

Take me off the list!!!

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
Well my SO proposed last night on my 27th birthday :D

BUT - and I'm sorry to disappoint - no bling yet! He propsed with an heirloom half-eternity band that was his grandmothers, so that I can 'choose that cushion one you want yourself' (lol, his words!) I want an AVC and he obviously realised diamond selection was beyond him but wanted to do the surprise proposal. Also, we don't really have the spare money for a ring right now due to trying to pay for a few things, and he didn't want to wait any more as apparently he has been trying to save for a ring but I keep paying for other things (we share finances) so this way, I know about it haha!

Anyway the proposal was not at all what I imagined! We were going to my parents house for dinner as it was my birthday. I went there straight after work as their place is closer to my office and he was going to meet me there. He ended up taking ages because he locked himself out of our house and had to break in :| he had told me he was making a birthday surprise for me, but I didn't suspect anything because I knew he hadn't bought a ring. Anyway he had asked my dad for permission earlier in the day and while we were waiting my dad started acting really weird, secretive about phone calls etc so I had a suspicion then. When SO arrived he told me I had to wait outside the front door (to which I kept demanding 'why?' And not being very cooperative!) he had written 'will you' & 'marry me?' On our dogs (which are two white boxers - good for writing on!) with coloured hairspray (cute! Although was barely legible because when he was writing it our two crazy dogs would not keep still, nor when I was trying to read it!) then got on one knee, tried to put the ring on my right hand ('that's the wrong hand!' from me!) then asked, and was up again in about 3 seconds flat haha! He said he was extremely nervous. There were no tears or anything, I felt a bit awkward having an audience inside the house! But it was very sweet i loved that he incorporated the dogs, no matter how uncooperative they are! Very happy :D although no bling pics I'm afraid!!

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
What a cute proposal! Congrats!!!

**ETA

You came off on my lucky number, which means I'm now at my lucky number. :errrr:

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh Philly!!! Such a cute proposal! I love that he incorporated the pups and that you get to work together to build your perfect ring when the money is saved! CONGRATS! And you know we still need pics of the heirloom ring! :):)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats McGee! I'm so happy you got the dogs incorporated too! That's so sweet. Haha and unique! I haven't heard of anyone writing ON the dogs before lol!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I wonder if you can use this heirloom as your "wedding band" and slowly save up to buy your dream ring by your wedding? Do it a little bit backwards? :lol: You'll be happy to know that I noticed the AVCs have dropped in price a bit… so you might be able to get your dream ring! I wonder if any are going to be on his "AUGUST" vintage sale this year?

Speaking of which… It's august… is there going to be a sale this year?

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone :) it was so cute and he said he had been planning it for ages - although I don't think it turned out as he imagined because the dogs went so silly and ran through the house and jumped all over the place (although definitely could have seen that happening!!) haha it was a very sweet plan.

I said to SO that we could use the heirloom band as a wedding band as it is very pretty, the thing is though it is mostly yellow gold :???: Which is definitely not me!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a sweet proposal - I love the dogs being included!!! Congratulations!!

Fingers crossed GOG may offer an AUGUST sale --- just tell them, "well, Madelise said so on PS, so it MUST be true!" ;))

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!!! I bet the story of trying to spray on the wiggling dogs will get even funnier as you both share the story over the years.

If you want to wear the band now but aren't loving the yellow gold, perhaps get it rhodium plated? It would look new and shiny and be your color preference.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations almost birthday buddy!!!! How exciting that he was able to keep it a secret and also give you an heirloom piece. I also second the rhodium dipping idea, just make sure to find a jeweler who is able to redip it every so often as it wears off. We want pictures of the band too!!!! He sounds like he was just so excited and I wish the two of you the best of luck!

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
I did do a bit of google research about rhodium dipping the ring but got the impression it's not really a good idea, but I suspect PSers will have more knowledge on the matter :appl: do the diamonds need to be removed from the setting to do that?

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! What a cute proposal, and yeah, we need pictures.

antiquesparkler

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! Love his creativity and love that you get to choose your own stone!

Would love to see pics of the ring! :bigsmile:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your engagement!!! My thought was to rhodium plate the ring too...some purists feel an antique/vintage ring shouldn't be altered, but personally I feel if it is going to make the ring more wearable and more to your taste, I think it's worth it. I can only speak about my own experience, but I've had several yg pieces rhodium plated and they look great and have held up really well. I will say that I don't wear these pieces very frequently, so if you are going to wear the ring every day, you might need to have it re-dipped occasionally. The diamonds don't have to be removed. It was $35 dollars for a ring. HTH!

ndc923

Rough_Rock
Congratulations!

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Rhodium plating will not harm your ring. It's easy to apply, but difficult to remove. The ring will be dipped in an electrically charged solution first and then dipped into a rhodium solution. The charge attracts the rhodium molecules and this will uniformly apply a layer of rhodium that is a few microns thick. The resulting look will be bright white and will last for a a few months to a few years, depending on your skin chemistry. Most people who wear their jewelry daily get about a year out of it before they need to replate it. $35 is pretty standard and the process takes only a few minutes.

Congratulations on your engagement !! :)

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
Ooh it worked!! :appl: that's the first time I have posted a pic! Sorry if it is huge, I only have my phone so not sure if u can resize from it.

Anyway, I don't know how to describe the setting properly, but the diamonds are sort of bead set into little square 'channel' type things, this part is white metal (not sure if its WG or plat) and then the actual band is YG. It needs a bit of a clean and is far too big (I have to wear it on my middle finger atm until I can get it resized)

My fiancé (hehe) says he doesn't mind if I want to get it rhodium plated, however as its an heirloom piece he is going to ask his dad what he thinks (the ring came from his grandmother, who has passed away, so was given to him by his dad) I hope he says yes! I would love to use it as a wedding band :)

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
image_582.jpg image_583.jpg
Couple more in daylight :)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful, Philly! I really love it. I like the recessed little 'boxes' that each diamond is set into. I've got my fingers crossed for you to get it rhodium plated! I'm sure that even if they say no now, you'd eventually be able to over the years. And since the top part is white gold, it actually looks very good as is!! It'll be an easy band to match a solitaire with.

:wavey:

Wear it in health, wealth, and happiness!

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
Yep I originally wanted a pave band on my e-ring and was tossing up between halo and no halo, but today I went to a jewellery store (just a mall type retailer - of course wouldn't buy from there!) to try a few styles with the band, and a solitaire looks much much nicer so I'll go down that route for sure. Here's a pic with a .7ct RB solitaire. I still love the cushion but also like OEC so am open to round too. What do you think? :D

image_584.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
It's a beautiful band!! I agree that a solitaire would look stunning. I think either RB or OEC would be a good way to go, but old cuts would be my preference of course! A cushion solitaire would also be beautiful as well (old cut of course hehe).

maple2012

Shiny_Rock
congrats! what a beautiful and unique band! i love it!

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
Definitely old cut! I wouldn't have anything else :cheeky: antique cushion or OEC...my favourite is still the cushion but now I my priority is something that will compliment the band. I think both will look nice!

PhillyMcGee

Rough_Rock
image_586.jpg

Here's a picture of my dogs with the proposal message :lol:
They had rubbed it off a bit in the car, as you can see its a bit hard to decipher, but I figured out what it said :love:

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
Congrats!! Adorable story and love the ring!

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
I may have freaked out a little at the photo of your proposal-puppies! :love:

CONGRATULATIONS! How nice to recieve a lovely heirloom, and to get to choose your own 'cushion one'! :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results