carat
color
clarity

Getting questions from family members

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi guys!

Is it dead in here or what? Where is everyone?!

My stepmom called today to chat and she had a bunch of questions about when we'd get engaged and will G hurry up please and all her friends have been asking her if I'm engaged yet.... She says she was recently overcome with the desire to go dress shopping and she'd like me to get engaged so she can shop for a fancy party dress :cheeky: Can't tell if she's getting suspicious (the ring is in the house now, but our families don't know!) or if she's just antsy for someone to get married already (I've got 4 brothers... none of whom are anywhere near close to being in the pre-engagement stage).

Have you gotten questions from family members? If you have a ring already, have you had to throw them off so they wouldn't guess?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. My aunt has reminded me that when she was my age, she had been married and had my cousin! :devil: I'm like.. IKNOIKNO! I'm just thinking… dude, I can't FORCE the guy to propose! My grandma knows there's a ring, and has been asking for almost a year now. She tamed her questioning, but brought it back up once my godsister, whose my age, got engaged recently. I think they think SO is dragging his feet, or worse, never intended on marrying me.

Such is life.

Has G mentioned anything to your parents behind your back? Maybe asked for their blessing or whatnot, so that stepmom thinks you don't know and is giving you a hint?

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
I hate the questions. Like I'm not impatient enough about it. My ex-husband got married recently and that's brought everyone out of the woodwork. Like it's a competition between us or something ridiculous. All I say is that we're talking about it and working towards it. I don't know what else to say... :-o

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Sorry ladies! I try to pop in and read everything at least once a day but don't always get a chance to respond or the energy to come up with new topics. Work is exhausting! As for me though, I don't think I have actually had any family members ask when the time will finally come, moreso from friends. I have only told 1 of my close friends that we have a ring though, no one else knows. Although DBF's mom pretty much assumes we're married and refers to her husband as my FIL already haha. She also mentioned that when she was my age she was already pregnant with DBF. Nope, sorry not any time soon!!!

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
Yup, SO's parents were all over us from the very beginning! It reached its peak at about year three, and didn't let up until we were engaged. Every time we saw them, something was said outright, it was vaguely implied, or at worst I was cornered alone and they'd start in!

Once the ring was being made/during the brief time it was in the house it was at a point where I'd get asked with annoying frequency by a few people, I'm guessing they could feel it in the water? Perhaps thats whats happening with your stepmom! I'm a terrible liar, but I enjoyed not telling anyone! :tongue:

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
Sorry gals, my profile wasn't allowing me to post for about a week, but all fixed now :)

Yes! Questions from distant aunts/uncles at weddings. You guys are next, how about you guys!? Poor guy, I'm really trying to be patient, I picked the ring and was there when he paid the deposit. Gotta give him the proposal to do right?

Oh, and during my cousin's and brothers weddings....please have your wedding in the summer so the kids (some cousins that are teenagers) are out of school and we can make a vacation out of it. These are relatives from Louisiana and Toronto travelling to Southern California, I get it, wedding drama flashes!!

Daisycakes617

Rough_Rock
Haha funny topic..my mom is totally anxious for a proposal! She goes back and forth between planning my wedding and telling me that we can't afford one lol. SOs mom calls me every few months to ask me what's the holdup and complain that he's taking too long..which I already know! It's funny though that as the moms anxiety level has gone up, mine has one down! I know he's paying for the ring and I know that he's not going to tell me anything else about it, but I'm trying really hard not to ask questions. Aside from the moms though no one else asks

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
I avoid the questions at all costs. I'm not getting it too much with family, more so with my aquaintences. Most of my friends know the deal, so luckily they leave me alone.
Back to the family though. I think they're itching for M to pop the question, but the pressure isn't overwhelming. I think they're aware of the financial situation and the fact is that I can't have M get me a cheap "stand-in" ring, as I'm allergic to most metals. It would give a whole new meaning to "itchy ring finger." :lol: So until he ponies up the dough for something in the $3K range... my finger will remain naked and my family will have to wait, much like I am.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results