shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kiz

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 8/22/2003 9:13:35 AM leonid wrote:

Kiz,

There is a difference between an expert/vendor answering consumers’ questions, provide education and puts a link to her/his site and blatant or disguised self-promotion.

I think trade experts who spare their time helping consumers deserve getting a link to their site and consumer recommendations. Yes it is a form of promotion but it's a consumer-friendly alternative to traditional advertisements.

One can spend millions on advertisement and branding on TV, magazines, etc. and thus create a perception of quality, romance, and exclusivity.

Internet gives you another option: contribute with your knowledge to communities. Share your knowledge and your time. Furthermore, if an internet vendor screws, it becomes known to millions of people. So these vendors literally put their reputation on line.

Guess which one of these forms of advertisement is most efficient and appreciated by consumers.
----------------

I expect that exact explanation from the developer of this site.
All Im saying is keep this as an OPEN DISCUSSION FORUM. If you want to keep it as an Anti-anything then Im sure you can ban certain individuals who stir the pot and give their own OPINION. So can I expect to try to log on one day and see that I no longer can, just because I spoke my opinion againt the people who use this forum to promote?
rolleyes.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Kiz,
----------------
However, can you prove to me that any particular one of these participants is not affiliated with the site/store they are "recommending"? That is all Im saying.
----------------
Theoretically, no one can guarantee that each of the members is not doing promotions for a specific company.

However, it happens that most of the frequent members post here for a long time. Everybody can trace the history of their posts. You can see where they bought their diamonds and get the appraisal.

Many of them bought diamonds at local B&M stores and came to the internet for the information.

You can see from the styles of their posts and recommendations they give that they do not recommend any particular vendor all the time but rather different vendors who have good reputation. People also post links to other interesting websites the found: diamonds, jewelry designers, education.

So I’m pretty much confident about the members who have long history and great personality on the forum.

It is different situation when somebody new is jumping in and starts recommend a specific vendor. Great thing, however, is that old members of the community have very keen smell for such people and they don’t last long.

Hope I answered your question.

1.gif

Positive energy...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/22/2003 9:23:53 AM Kiz wrote:

----------------
On 8/22/2003 9:13:35 AM leonid wrote:

Kiz,

There is a difference between an expert/vendor answering consumers’ questions, provide education and puts a link to her/his site and blatant or disguised self-promotion.
----------------

I agree with you!
However, can you prove to me that any particular one of these participants is not affiliated with the site/store they are "recommending"? That is all Im saying.

----------------

I've been around long enough to spot the self-promoters. 1st post on the day they register to say go to "whoever" with no specifics whatsoever. THis person never asked for advice. This person never gave advice *other* than go to so & so.

I can not attest for the others; but, I can say that in no way am *I* affiliated w/ any of these vendors.

Just because you recommend Tiffany & Co. to others doesn't make me think you work for Tiffany.

Kiz

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 8/22/2003 9:47:57 AM fire&ice wrote:

----------------

Just because you recommend Tiffany & Co. to others doesn't make me think you work for Tiffany.
----------------
LOL...Please show me where Ive RECOMMENDED someone to buy at Tiffany's. All ive done on this board is initially ask for advise, post my options and then talk about my purchasing experience. Can you show me where I've TOLD someone to buy a Tiffany ring? I, unlike some people on this board, realize that what is RIGHT for ME may not be right for any other individual. My recommendation is that the rest of you realize the same.
Leonid, thanks for your reply.
Positive energy here too.....
1.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Kiz,
----------------
I expect that exact explanation from the developer of this site.
All Im saying is keep this as an OPEN DISCUSSION FORUM.
----------------
Agreed. I'm trying to do that within the rules that we hope should help us of keeping the conversation civil. (Any suggestions regarding the forum policies are welcome in private correspondence)
----------------
If you want to keep it as an Anti-anything then Im sure you can ban certain individuals who stir the pot and give their own OPINION. So can I expect to try to log on one day and see that I no longer can, just because I spoke my opinion againt the people who use this forum to promote?
rolleyes.gif

----------------
No one will ever be banned for speaking his/her own opinion as long as he/she will keep the discussion polite
1.gif

1.gif
[/u][/u][/u]

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/19/2003 10:20
6.gif
4 AM Kiz wrote:

Stewie, I couldnt agree with you more. I also purchased a Tiffany e-ring and did some research on this board. For me, the Tiffany 6 prong ring as a complete package looked 10X better than the so called "tiffany like" settings that I saw at other jewelers. I got exceptional service at the Tiffany store and was not pushed at all by the salesperson. He also spent a total of 3 weeks eductaing me about my other options during my 6 visits to the store. I had a short timeline to find an e-ring and could not be happier with my purchase. The PEACE OF MIND alone of walking out with a tiffany ring, to me is worth the markup. Any other store I would have questioned the honesty and quality of the stone I purchased, just because I didnt have the time to shop around to the extent I wanted to.
There is a reason why there are so many Tiffany copies out there. Its because the Tiffany e-ring is the style that alot of people are looking for. So why wouldnt you purchase the real deal instead of a copy if you are able to do so. This ring is something she will have for the rest of her life and for me, it was not worth compromising for a better priced COPY.
----------------

What in the world is this then. Is this not a recommendation? Well, in my 43 years of life experience, if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, then it's a duck.

I rarely, if ever, recommend someone if I have not had either first hand visual experience or word of mouth (real not keyboard) recommendations for others.

My view on Tiffany & Co. comes from 15 years of handling all kinds of Tiffany items.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 8/22/2003 9:15
6.gif
3 AM Kiz wrote:

Prove to me you are a customer and not an employee.
Up_to_something.gif
Thats pretty hard to do isnt it? Well, being an outsider how do you expect people to know the face behind the username
----------------
Kiz.....frankly, I don't honestly feel the need to prove a damn thing to you or anyone else.

However, seeing as we're on the subject of ignorance......yes, it IS fairly easy to prove I don't work for GOG or anyone else. I won't post my IP address for you (particularly because I don't even know it)....but I invite Leonid if he chooses to post a statement confirming that my IP address is completely different from that of GOG or WF or anyone else. Leonid, feel free to confirm this statement.....you have the IP address access.

As an aside, if you took an additional minute to THINK about this instead of getting emotional about it, you'd realize that it makes little sense for me to be recommending three different vendors if I indeed was an employee of one of them.

Finally, I never TOLD anyone where they had to buy either. If people ask who we think is good, we tell them. That's the point, and if you don't get it, then you're in the wrong place.

Kiz

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 8/22/2003 10:12:48 AM fire&ice wrote:

----------------
6.gif
4 AM Kiz wrote:

Stewie, I couldnt agree with you more. I also purchased a Tiffany e-ring and did some research on this board. For me, the Tiffany 6 prong ring as a complete package looked 10X better than the so called "tiffany like" settings that I saw at other jewelers. I got exceptional service at the Tiffany store and was not pushed at all by the salesperson. He also spent a total of 3 weeks eductaing me about my other options during my 6 visits to the store. I had a short timeline to find an e-ring and could not be happier with my purchase. The PEACE OF MIND alone of walking out with a tiffany ring, to me is worth the markup. Any other store I would have questioned the honesty and quality of the stone I purchased, just because I didnt have the time to shop around to the extent I wanted to.
There is a reason why there are so many Tiffany copies out there. Its because the Tiffany e-ring is the style that alot of people are looking for. So why wouldnt you purchase the real deal instead of a copy if you are able to do so. This ring is something she will have for the rest of her life and for me, it was not worth compromising for a better priced COPY.
----------------

What in the world is this then. Is this not a recommendation? Well, in my 43 years of life experience, if it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, then it's a duck.

I rarely, if ever, recommend someone if I have not had either first hand visual experience or word of mouth (real not keyboard) recommendations for others.

My view on Tiffany & Co. comes from 15 years of handling all kinds of Tiffany items.

----------------

If you consider this a recommendation then thats you interpertation. I stated my experience and my situation (see the above highlighted). At no time did I tell Tbone to buy a Tiffany ring. Did I?
I will continue to post my experience and situation for anyone considering a Tiffany ring and do not have a problem for others to do the same with their site/store. I dont see any further need to beat this dead horse.

smaggard

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 8/22/2003 11
6.gif
9:40 AM Kiz wrote:

----------------
6.gif"
4 AM Kiz wrote:

I dont see any further need to beat this dead horse.
----------------

That's the best idea yet. Everyone buy where they want. I think everyone here will agree that if you buy at Tiffany's, SuperbCert, ACA, GOG, or several other vendors here, you'll have a superior stone to what you'd get at the mall. And after all isn't that the point? It's not all about the $$$ but QUALITY products, at least in my mind.

10.gif
10.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------

If you consider this a recommendation then thats you interpertation. I stated my experience and my situation (see the above highlighted). At no time did I tell Tbone to buy a Tiffany ring. Did I?
I will continue to post my experience and situation for anyone considering a Tiffany ring and do not have a problem for others to do the same with their site/store. I dont see any further need to beat this dead horse.
----------------

I repeat if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck. This is not my interpretation. It is fact. A testomonial *is* a recommendation. But then, of course, you don't see it fit to beat this dead horse.

Kiz

Rough_Rock

----------------
On 8/22/2003 11:18:44 AM fire&ice wrote:

----------------

----------------

I repeat if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck. This is not my interpretation. It is fact. A testomonial *is* a recommendation. But then, of course, you don't see it fit to beat this dead horse.

----------------
Hmmm... In that case, this board is full of ducks. Quack quack back at you. (the horse was beat one last time)
11.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Guys, please...

It's not going anywere
sad.gif

Who will be a mature one to stop acting as child?
3.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Proof of one's bona fides on the internet is not easy to come by even if you are the webmaster of a particular site, as Leonid notes. For the average visitor, it's all but impossible.

All you can do is judge from posting history. I am confident that the vast majority of PS members are above-board in their participation, even the declared vendors. Those who stray get shot down in a hurry.

Frankly, abuse of anonymity is painfully obvious anyway. It's always people who show up out of the blue and start cheerleading for some site or vendor without any preliminaries. I really doubt anyone is fooled. The true customer testimonials start out slower and there are usually enough details and history for readers to judge the fairness of a recommendation.

For the record, I work for one of the major names in the industry. I stand by my record here as far as being non-promotive. Leonid surely knows who my employer is if he's ever bothered to trace my IP address, and he's never outed me.
9.gif
So there.
3.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/22/2003 11
6.gif
9:40 AM Kiz wrote:

At no time did I tell Tbone to buy a Tiffany ring. Did I

----------------
You know, if you're going to play the semantics game, that's completely fine.....just do a better job of it.

For the record, I have never told anyone to buy at GOG, WF, NiceIce, or any other place. (To my knowledge, neither has any other participant). My mantra is and always has been "know what you're doing before you purchase; learn about all your options so you have no regrets when you do buy". I've suggested (which is different from TOLD...look it up) they educate themselves by learning about what they can get and for what price. I've NEVER said "buy at GOG", "buy at WF", or any such thing.

Further, I've never told anyone NOT to buy at Tiffany's or any other place, either. It's not my place here to tell people what to do. My aim is to provide information they might find helpful as they navigate the very confusing process of considering a diamond purchase.

In those instances where someone queries "who would you recommend" or "can you recommend" or "which vendors are reputable", etc, you bet I feel absolutely entitled to respond about who I respect and think is reputable. It's offered as an opinion, not as a fact, and the person asking is free to take all, some, or none of the information I offer into consideration......just as they are free to regard all, some, or none of your experience purchasing where you did. If someone asks what I think of something....whether it's a specific diamond or a vendor or anything else....I feel that is an express invitation to share my opinion. Doesn't mean they have to like it/agree with it/follow it.

I also think most people who have enough brain cells to get here in the first place are equally astute at recognizing what this is.....an internet forum. Which means that it takes a bit of judgment to determine if the information offered is sincere. ANY forum....online OR offline....can be tainted, and it's up to the person frequenting them to be aware of that.

Finally, if you truly believe that some of the participants here are "moles" for vendors, then why do you stay here? If the whole system is flawed and cannot be trusted, then what possible benefit do you get from it? It may not have occurred to you that we equally have no assurance that YOU don't work for Tiffany's.....but then again, I'm not so jaded that I suspect a conspiracy around every corner, either. If you believe that I actually work for a vendor, then you have my personal invitation to ignore all of my posts as "tainted" with no hard feelings. It honestly doesn't matter to me what you believe or don't.

P.S: Sorry, Leonid.....but this "everyone's suspect" attitude just rubs me the wrong way.

Kiz

Rough_Rock
I agree with everything you just said. And if you believe everything you just said, then why does this post provoke the type of response you gave?

----------
I saw you are saving for a Tiffany diamond jewelry. May I suggest you buy loose diamonds directly from diamond manufacturers, like /snipped/ where you can have up to 50% (!!!) discount, and then let your jewelerer set the diamonds within a ring.

This way you get a beautiful diamond ring at a much cheaper cost.

Eilon R.
-----------

Is it that only the experinced participants can post their recommendation? Does a recommendation or opinion not count if you have less than X number of posts under your belt? All this person was doing was providing another option, it may have not been one of you BIG THREE that you like, but nevertheless its an option out there for consumers. I know it was his first post, but does that matter if he is providing usefull information. Just like you said, we dont know if its his site or if he is truly recommending a site he's used, BUT we dont know that about any user on this site for certain.
P.S: Sorry, Leonid.....but this "Greater than Thou" attitude just rubs me the wrong way.
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/22/2003 1:28:22 PM Kiz wrote:

I agree with everything you just said. And if you believe everything you just said, then why does this post provoke the type of response you gave?

Is it that only the experinced participants can post their recommendation? Does a recommendation or opinion not count if you have less than X number of posts under your belt? All this person was doing was providing another option, it may have not been one of you BIG THREE that you like, but nevertheless its an option out there for consumers. I know it was his first post, but does that matter if he is providing usefull information. Just like you said, we dont know if its his site or if he is truly recommending a site he's used, BUT we dont know that about any user on this site for certain.
P.S: Sorry, Leonid.....but this "Greater than Thou" attitude just rubs me the wrong way.
1.gif
----------------
I can see where it my question would be confusing to you and perhaps to people who aren't regular participants here. I thought the answers by Leonid and LawGem were pretty explanatory, but it appears they didn't resonate with you, so let's try again.

It's not JUST that Eilon only registered today. It's not JUST that Eilon's *first post* here was offering information on a vendor. It's not JUST that the post was limited to one vendor and sounded promotional in nature. It's not JUST that he also posted another new topic right after this asking if *anyone else* knew of them and whether or not they could be trusted (which he shouldn't have to ask if he just recommended them himself). It's not JUST that he hasn't been trolling around for a while trying to make a purchase. It's not JUST that he has completely no history here.

It's ALL of those things occurring simultaneously that causes the alarms to go off. It's a fine distinction, and perhaps it's lost on you, but it seems to me that most of us who are here quite a bit picked up on it, including the moderator.

Could I be wrong? Sure I could be, and to that end, I ended by asking if he worked there? Eilon could easily respond to advise of such......interesting how he hasn't though, isn't it? You may not be aware of this, but SELF-promotion by a vendor is against the policies of the board. (Again, I though Leonid made all this pretty clear, but I don't mind repeating it for you.)

Lastly, there's no "greater than thou" factor around here either. Part of separating the wheat from the chaff in an online venue (or any other, for that matter) using one's JUDGMENT to determine who is genuine and who perhaps isn't. As either LawGem or Leonid pointed out, it's easier to get a beat on someone when there is a history to track....(past posts) and less so when there isn't.

One of the first times I heard of DBOF was when ccuheartnurse posted her buying experience here with them, and at the time, she didn't have a huge number of posts to her name either....she was a regular participant on another forum, I later learned. But in reading her story, it rang true.

Reading the *first post* from an *unknown* and *newly registered* poster who in one breath is asking if ABC manufacturer can be trusted and in the next breath is suggesting people go to ABC manufacturer and knows their prices are discounted 50%........yup, all of that combined makes my alarm go off.....and not just mine. If you don't see those distinctions, I'm sorry, but I cannot help make it any clearer for you.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------

I repeat if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck.
----------------

Leonid, just for the record the statement above is a generalized U.S. statement to say "if it has all the attributes, then one can concur it is what it is." It is not the derogatory statement that a poster made it out to be.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
It's okay, F&I........if you look at Kiz's posts, all of them ended with "quack, quack"....even the two responses he posted *before* your generalizations about "if it has all the attributes......etc."

Kiz

Rough_Rock
Just like your new avatar shows up on all your previous posts, so does my new signature. You learn something new everyday ehhhh?
Now as for the topic, I think we need to agree to disagree.
naughty.gif

Boulder

Shiny_Rock
----------------
Agree completely. For some men, buying Tiffany does mean "buying the best." For many men, though, buying Tiffany is the equivalent of roses and chocolate or dinner and a movie--something that they think equals automatic romance without having to be creative or imaginative.
----------------
Nicely put, Hest!

skapic

Rough_Rock
Hello there,

I agree that Tiffany''s diamonds are not worth the money. My fiancee took me to Venice and we purchased a ring from Salvadori (well known diamond dealer in Italy). I got VVS2 clarity, F color (rare white +) with very good finish grade for 6000 euros. The diamond is exceptionally beautiful and they have designs that I haven''t seen yet, not even at Tiffany''s. If any of you are interested, you can check out their website at

www.salvadori-venezia.com

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to pricescope Skapic. I don''t think this poster is still looking for a ring, this is from 2003. Have great day.
Lisa
35.gif

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
this post is from 2003, why spend anymore time on this.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results