shape
carat
color
clarity

for minousbijoux - pics you asked for!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Hey there,

You'd asked me about the stone I got from Jim McCormick...I took several pics to show you, but unfortunately I only have one pic saved from Jim to compare to. He only listed the one pic of the gem, although there was a video as well - I don't have the link saved though.

I think the main issue with Jim's pics (IMO) is that somehow it almost seems like his pics highlight any teeny little flaw in the gem, while almost minimizing the stone's good qualities! I don't really know how else to describe what I mean, sorry, lol. I honestly think he's trying to show his gems as accurately as possible so that no one is surprised by any inclusions, flaws, etc - but what it kind of ends up doing is making for "meh" pics, if you know what I mean.

And let me add again that I found Jim's customer service and communication to be excellent! I would definitely buy from him again.

I'm not sure that my pics are actually "better" than Jim's are of this gem; they're not nearly as close up, bc I don't have a camera capable of taking accurate pics that close up. These pics were taken with my iphone in natural indirect daylight, except for one pics which was taken at night in indoor lighting, which I will note.

The gem:

a 1 carat Mali garnet, oval Portuguese cut. It does show some sugary type inclusions. The color is rather remarkable for a Mali, IMO. I own 4, and this is the only Mali I own that shows this bright green, rather lime-y color, which is actually very pretty! The gem does show a bit of shift as most garnets do, but the main color is this beautiful green. First pics is Jim's; all others are mine.

jimpicmali.jpg

_8812.jpg

_8813.jpg

mali3.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Last two pics. I hope this was helpful for you at least in some small way. If you're interested in one of his gems, he does have a money back return policy so you could give him a try on something :)

(The last pic with the Mali on the far right is the one taken indoors).

mali4.jpg

mali5.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow thank you so much for posting k!! I have been looking at several stones posted by him but I always hesitate because I haven't heard about him before or really seen any reviews. Plus I'm trying to set my current stones vs. buying more loose.

Thank you so much for the pictures and vote of confidence in the vendor.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Does Jim have a website? Beautiful stone!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1376511574|3503038 said:

I don't think so but he posts his stones on Facebook to the Fine Faceted Gems and Cabs Market.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So colour wise it is accurate and clarity wise, expect the stone to be much cleaner in person?

katharath

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1376510507|3503022 said:
Oh wow thank you so much for posting k!! I have been looking at several stones posted by him but I always hesitate because I haven't heard about him before or really seen any reviews. Plus I'm trying to set my current stones vs. buying more loose.

Thank you so much for the pictures and vote of confidence in the vendor.

Glad you liked the pics! I actually love promoting vendors who I feel have treated me well, so it was no problem on my part :). I have looked at a lot of the gems that Jim offers, and I think overall they are very reasonably priced, too.

I know exactly what you mean though - I have quite a few stones I should set before buying more, but I just can't help it, lol!! I have this obsession lately with buying loose gems, to the point that I'm putting all of my gem spending money into loose gems rather than setting anything. I think my ultimate goal is to have so many loose gems that whenever inspiration sets, I can open up my "treasure chest" and choose whatever strikes my mood for setting! I know that may sound a bit odd, but it's just so fun collecting pretty gems...a total obsession on my part!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1376512773|3503067 said:
So colour wise it is accurate and clarity wise, expect the stone to be much cleaner in person?

I would agree with this, yes. I feel that his pics tend to make the clarity look worse than it appears to the naked eye. I know that this Mali, for example, is not a perfectly clean stone. But to my unaided eyes, the gem is far prettier clarity wise than I would have expected based on his pics. Color wise it is quite close to what I expected, though.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much Katharath! It sure seems like his photos are pretty accurate for color (something that we all know is hard to accomplish) and, as Chrono says, likely cleaner then they appear in his closeups? I love Malis in general, and this one appears to be one of the greener ones - really intense lemon lime?. I take it you love it? :praise: Also, thanks for taking handshots as they really help to put the stone in perspective - and this one looks great on you!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1376511574|3503038 said:

Thank you! I really like it too - I do have a penchant for green garnets though, I just love them. I don't know if I'll ever set it, but I think it's a lovely example of the color variation you can see within one type of gem. For example, in the last pic that I posted, all four of those gems are garnets; but the largest one, third from the left, is also a Mali :). It's a terrible pic of it, but you can quite clearly see how different it is in color from the "Jim" Mali. Kind of neat to see them side by side to compare. I've posted pics of my third Mali here in CS as well, it's a very pale lemony color - and actually Rosebloom I think you commented in that thread, so I think you've seen that one too, lol :). (If I'm remembering correctly, anyway!)

I do think I have enough Malis for now, no plans to buy anymore...

Oh and as far as Jim's selling - yes, he lists gems in the Facebook group that was mentioned, in the Market and also the Auctions groups. The groups are open to anyone if you'd like to be a member, you just need to be a member of FB. I could post a link if you'd like further info, or you can just go to FB and search for the groups by name. Lots of friendly people over there :)

katharath

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1376513787|3503096 said:
Thank you so much Katharath! It sure seems like his photos are pretty accurate for color (something that we all know is hard to accomplish) and, as Chrono says, likely cleaner then they appear in his closeups? I love Malis in general, and this one appears to be one of the greener ones - really intense lemon lime?. I take it you love it? :praise: Also, thanks for taking handshots as they really help to put the stone in perspective - and this one looks great on you!

No problem at all, I really enjoy taking pics :). Thanks very much for the kind words.

I do think that the color of this one is a teensy bit greener than Jim's pic shows, but to be fair, this gem DOES look very close to that color some of the time. In brightest daylight it shows a bit more yellow but it never actually appears to BE yellow. In indirect sunlight it's greener. Jim compared it to a lime-like peridot and I agree with that. Regardless, yes - I like it, lol!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer greener Malis and think yours is lovely.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results