shape
carat
color
clarity

Am I nuts? Unusual ring design....

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
Hi, HotPozzum!
I LOVE your inspiration pic with the art deco-ish haloed ruby. I did a very quick and very dirty mockup of that ring with oval cab moonstones on the sides. I turned the moonstones so they parallel the ruby because that looked better to my (admittedly newbie) eye. But the inspiration photo posted by Niel is lovely, too, so perhaps you're still intending to try E-W settings for the moonstones.
Here's the very rough mockup:

quick_and_dirty.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HotPozzum|1374106660|3485097 said:
Hello all,

For those following the long run saga of my red spinel. I was completely set upon a 3 or 5 stone classic design but in the end just couldn't go through with it! Hubby has made it clear that this was my replacement for my beloved ruby e-ring that was lost years ago and its certainly the most expensive stone I've ever owned so I feel REALLY responsible for getting this PERFECT! :errrr:

I love art deco designs and just want something nice, different, unusual :lol: Something that is very me.

The stone is a sort of elongated cushion, not quite emerald shape. I want to set it in a clipped-corner emerald halo (white gold?) with ...wait for it... moonstone accents! See my delightfully inept drawing below to explain. The halo will have small melee diamonds - of which i already have a stash I can use from some rings I never wear. The clear moonstones (not overly blue) will be the link to the band (yellow gold).

Thoughts? Am I nuts? Will this look hidious? I love it in my mind - it combines two of my favourite stones AND its vintage themed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I love your design. Love the stone, love the idea of a yellow gold band, love the thought of rose cut moonstones, I love it all! Nuts shmuts, I'd seriously go for it. And post a gaziliion pictures. :bigsmile:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok I have received my moonstone & white topaz rosecuts (thanks to JoopyGems!). :love:

Photos are awful as I really need a black background to successfully show these off. Here is a configuration I am toying with - it's two 4mm cushion rosecut topaz with smaller 3mm rosecut moonstones around as a halo. What do you think? :confused:

moonstone_spinel_002.jpg

moonstone_spinel_001.jpg

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh I cannot even begin to apologise for these photos! :oops: I did try direct sunlight (shows the lovely moonstone shimmer) and shade so you can actually see the clear stones...

Think I would prefer if the moonstones were a tad smaller but I dont even know if you can buy them 2mm or less!? :read:

Got a few other styles I'll try and get more photos too. Rather liked with 3 moonstones in a sort of triangle on each side so no halo. Looked rather cute too.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I really love it. I'm sure there must be a way to buy them smaller though if that's what you want. I would email around; maybe even JTV or GemSelect might have a similar parcel, or other Etsy vendors. Do you want more of a pave, halo-type look, or a multi-stone statement? I think that might guide you towards the right size.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try it on a very dark background and they should show up much more clearly. Hmmm...these are too large for the centre stone. You'll probably need something 2 mm and even possibly smaller (melee sized) for the (3) triangular design.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
HotPozzum|1374406464|3487135 said:
OMG Niel - where did you find that?! It's amazing (I love opals too), what a design! :-o I think I can definitely draw from that...

Interesting that you should mention opal, Niel, as HP's idea reminded me of a retro garnet and opal style that I had seen a while ago...

garnet_opal_halo_ring.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think Barry at ACStones can find you some smaller moonstones. Julia Kay Taylor can also find moonstones for you, if you go with her for making the ring.

I also like the idea of rosecut diamonds.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
INCREDIBLE!!!!!! I was mooching about the mall yesterday and spotted this in an antique jewellers window :-o :love: :-o

It's EXACTLY what I was describing and shows it soooo much better than my clumsy attempts... Now I can really get a good idea of what it would look like in real life. :appl:

Ok so NOW what do you think?

EDIT: Obviously these are rose-cut diamonds and thats a ruby but close enough me thinks... :lol:

moonstone_spinel.jpg

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:bigsmile: Love it even more now!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a totally different look than I expected. That being the case, then perhaps the moonstone sizes are just right.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the ideas about this ring. Can't wait to see it completed!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results