shape
carat
color
clarity

the prettiest spinel you've seen under $100 dollars

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still searching for an e ring for a family member. He's a little concerned the half ct diamond I found him won't pack enough punch. He thinks a nice colored spinel in a halo might be more "impressive" so of course I help him :lol: though I know nothing!

Do you think you could find a really stunning red or pink spinel for this price if the size was only like half ct (5mm round or 4x6 oval or something)?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this but my eyes think its pretty, not sure about your good eyes though.

uploadfromtaptalk1376329215837.jpg

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
It's pretty in color but it's windowed, which means it'll look dead or dark in the center. :/

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Many spinels are so reasonably priced, which is awesome since I think spinel is a wonderful gem (easily one of my favs). I will say though that to find even a half carat or 5-6 mm pink or red that is truly "stunning" (at least IMO) is still going to be a bit pricey. This is what I usually do - I go smaller to find a better quality gem, it's sort of my forte, lol. All of my red and pink spinels (they are all Burmas and Mahenges) are sub one carat. My nicest two mahenges are at .85 and.88 cts, and I paid WELL over $100 for each one (and feel like I paid good if not downright very good pricing for what I got). I'm not positive, but I think that even if you go down to just the .5 ct mark it won't be a huge difference in pricing from .5 ct to say, a .9 ct since its still sub carat.

But with that said, if you go for a less saturated or not as well cut gem, you could easily find one to fit your budget. Less saturated doesn't mean unattractive! Also I have one really pretty color Burma red that's .67 cts, it's a beautiful open red color, but I only paid $50 for it bc it has some major cutting issues. I'm thinking of trying a recut on it, which would probably run me around $75, but if it came out nicely I think the value of the gem would be much higher. So you could always go that route if inclined. It's easier to just find a lighter one though. And I would say try to stay away from the mahenge and Burma "label" too. All the pinks and reds that I see that don't sport that location seem to be much more affordable! And I see some that are very, very pretty. I have a couple in mind and I'll try to post some links for you later, I have to run right this sec.

Oh, and I always advise people looking for smaller spinels to try my jeweler/dealer, Yvonne Raley. She usually has a good selection of smaller gems in good quality, and a range of colors. I think I paid about $100 per spinel on my pair of round pink mahenges that are 4.5 mm each. They're not as hot pink/red as my "better" mahenges, but they're quite pretty, very well cut, and close in size, color and price to what you're looking for, I think. This was a little while ago though so of course pricing will fluctuate. Good luck on your hunt!

(I also think the ring on LT is a nice piece for the price!!)

ETA - I have purchased all of my mahenges and Burmas from Yvonne, in a range of color and quality, I wasn't sure if that was clear when I rec'd her. And now I REALLY have to get off of here, lol!! More later, and sorry this was so long, goodness!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Check with Jeff Davies (just "friend" Jeff Davies Gems & Jewellery on Facebook). He has a lot of nicely colored pink spinels and good prices.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it looks like Pre-loved is the place to stalk for nice gems at even nicer prices.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1376349738|3501695 said:
Yes, it looks like Pre-loved is the place to stalk for nice gems at even nicer prices.

oh yeah ive been stalking it pretty good, im just admittedly bad at seeing color, and the lack of return policy concerns me

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Does the intended recipient of the ring like pink and red gemstones? I ask because personally I wouldn't want a pink ering. I love red and have a ruby band but only wear it when the mood strikes and I feel like it compliments what I'm wearing that day.
I'm not a fan of those colors for me and I would feel like it didn't match my wardrobe as I wear earthy colors, browns, oranges grey.
I even switch my rhr to match what I'm wearing. Just wanted to mention this.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
woofmama|1376404823|3502088 said:
Does the intended recipient of the ring like pink and red gemstones? I ask because personally I wouldn't want a pink ering. I love red and have a ruby band but only wear it when the mood strikes and I feel like it compliments what I'm wearing that day.
I'm not a fan of those colors for me and I would feel like it didn't match my wardrobe as I wear earthy colors, browns, oranges grey.
I even switch my rhr to match what I'm wearing. Just wanted to mention this.
That's what I'm told.

Honestly I love my FBIL to death but he is a little scatter brained. He's constantly coming st me with new things he wants for her ring and random budgets.

Her and I are doing something this weekend I think I'm just going to snoop myself.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results