shape
carat
color
clarity

URGENT - Radiant cut advice - sight unseen

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pachanga876

Rough_Rock
I''m considering buying a radiant cut over the net, sight unseen. From what I have read, radiants must be seen in person to judge but since ''m having difficulty finding stores that carry stock in radiants I''m considering buying this one over the net becasue it fit the specs I''m looking for.

I would appreciate any suggestions
1.gif

These are the stats:

F
VS1
Depth 63.9
Table 65
6.44x5.11x3.25
Polish VG
Symmetry G
Girdle M

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2005 1:24:59 PM
Author:pachanga876
I''m considering buying a radiant cut over the net, sight unseen. From what I have read, radiants must be seen in person to judge but since ''m having difficulty finding stores that carry stock in radiants I''m considering buying this one over the net becasue it fit the specs I''m looking for.
Pictures ? Ideal-scope ? anything ?

The return policy should give you time to inspect the piece, but comparing side by side with others is not all that easy. Unless the seller can line up 2-3 of them in a photo for you. Once you see the stone it still comes down to your experience and taste, for better or worse.

Those numbers do sound good though. I hope the stone looks as fine as one could hope at this point
2.gif

pachanga876

Rough_Rock
Thanks Ana,

Unfortunately the seller doesn''t have pics or ideal scope posted. My jeweller though is suggesting that I should look for a stone with a bit more depth. Do rectangular shaped stones need more depth?

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I would highly recommend you find a way to look at more radiants even if you can''t look at them all at the same time. I have a radiant and I looked at 15 stones that were very similar statistically, but all looked vastly different. Your stone though sounds like it could be a winner. Here is a link to the branded radiant that talks about the "ideal" measurements for radiants. Keep in mind though, that radiants are not like rounds where the math does most of the work. Radiants really need to be seen. You might want to do a search on the poster Nicrez. She did a lot of searching for her beautiful radiant and has tons of good advice.

http://www.radiantcut.com/

Good luck and happy hunting.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think Radiant cuts vary more than any other cut in their appearance. You MUST plan on seeing one or more to make a smart choice. Even if it costs for shipping, you can''t do it justice by doing it by the numbers with Radiant cuts.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I have a Radiant cut also. I must have looked at between 8 and 12 stones, most within the guidelines I thought I should be seeking. The stone I ended up with was by far the most beautiful stone (to my eye) of any of them. It was also NOT within the guidelines I was asking for, and I only took a look because my gemologist and her diamond house insisted that I look at it. Boy, I sure am glad I did look at it, but if I had gone with specs only, I wouldn''t have!

See as many as you can. David has a LOT more experience than I do (as a consumer only) and he was right, even among the small group of Radiants I viewed, they were all vastly different!

Good luck!
2.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I second that the numbers aren''t everything. My stone does not have the optimal measurements either and it was by far the best of the bunch...beating some with the more ideal measurements. You really have to look!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2005 2:43:33 PM
Author: pachanga876

My jeweller though is suggesting that I should look for a stone with a bit more depth. Do rectangular shaped stones need more depth?
Can't see why would they
33.gif

The one you posted does not sound "shallow" to me, but what's "too shallow" depends on cut details that the depth percenatge does not capture. Some radiant can be way deep and still have flat sides or shallow pavilion angles that make it dull. A less deep one has good chances to be done right - the "Original randiant" (the branded version of this cut) would come with these proportions and those are quite brilliant.

Here's how the optimal measurements for the branded radiant are described:
34.gif
LINK
They give an "acceptable" range for depth between 55% and 69% (for long, rectangular stones)

And some examples of these radiants: LINK

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I just wanted to add my input. I just bought a radiant cut diamond over the internet, and it ended up being a beautiful stone. I hadn''t seen any radiants in person yet, so I went to a jewelry store to see what they looked like. I looked at 3, and none of them were as beautiful as the one I bought on the internet. Furthermore, they were a lot more money. My depth and table values are pretty similar to yours also. (My depth is 64.9 and the table is 63.) I would definitely take a chance on ordering the stone. You can always return it if you don''t like it.

pachanga876

Rough_Rock
David,

The problem with shipping the diamond is that I live in Canada and the stone is in NY so it''s not possible to order it in and check it out. I was actually considering having it sent to AGA to get an appraisal and grading but my jeweller says that it''ll cost $200 Canadian because of the shipping.

I''m really tempted to just pick up the diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results