shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you taste the difference b/t white and brown eggs?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, Browns taste much better than white ... :lickout:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know - I never eat white ones.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Polished|1376296737|3501229 said:
I don't know - I never eat white ones.

+1. My mother always bought brown... So I do too... :roll:

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I have never had a brown egg.

Jenny23

Rough_Rock
I had a green egg recently it was delish ! Got it directly from a farm.
I don't know if the colour is the reason for differences in taste but eggs
from a farm (small one where the chickens have a lot of space) are the best.

Regards
Jenny

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
According to chicken farmers there is no difference due to color. It's a myth (or psychological effect) that they taste different.

I bought robin's egg blue eggs at the farmer's market -- loved how pretty they were but couldn't have told by taste. How about a blind egg-tasting? :))

--- Laurie

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
The brown eggs do taste better, I am able to get some wonderful ones from a local farm that have the darkest yellow yolks. MMm

CrazyBirdLady

Shiny_Rock
No difference at all. You can taste and see the difference between cage and free range eggs. Araucana chickens lay light green eggs and they taste the same as white/brown eggs. They just look a little bit strange with a green shell.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't tell a difference.

The difference I notice is the quality of the eggs (we buy vegetarian fed eggs from well pampered chickens) and the freshness.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can not tell any difference between the two colours of eggs by taste ... but then my DH says I'm like our labs... I'll eat practically anything if its put on my plate!! :lol:

Humph --- not sure if I like that comparison! :mad:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have chickens that lay brown eggs and the color of the yolks is so much more vibrant! I feel better knowing that our eggs were freshly laid, especially if I'm feeding them to my children.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with those saying that there is no physical difference! Psychological maybe hen you're eating brown eggs, but the color of an egg is merely determined by the color of the chicken's ears! A lot of mass-produced eggs are white and maybe that affects the quality, but if you compare a high-quality white egg to a high-quality brown egg, they are the same.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi|1376310549|3501284 said:
I can not tell any difference between the two colours of eggs by taste ... but then my DH says I'm like our labs... I'll eat practically anything if its put on my plate!! :lol:

Humph --- not sure if I like that comparison! :mad:

Bahahaha.... Gotta love that DH! Sorry you made me giggle this morning.

Lulie

Shiny_Rock
I can't tell the difference in taste.
The bird’s diet, can affect the egg’s nutritional content, as well as the color of its yolk anywhere from a pale yellow, to bright yellow, to almost orange. The more corn they eat, the yellower the yolks.
Some assume that brown eggs have harder shells, nope. Younger chickens [any color] lay eggs with harder shells.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had seen green duck eggs but never seen a green nor a blue chicken egg... :oops: are these from green and blue chickens?.. :lol:

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As your resident poultry nerd (I have 19 chickens at the moment), I can tell you that there's no difference between eggs of different colors, all else being equal (meaning that if a brown layer and a white layer are raised side by side, in exactly the same conditions, the eggs should taste the same as long as both chickens come from healthy, high quality stock). The shell colors vary depending on breed of chicken (even blue, green, pink, chocolate brown and olive colored eggs, to name a few), but the inside is the same.

For those who prefer the taste of brown eggs, it's possible that the brown eggs you're buying are from chickens who have been raised differently that those who produced the white eggs. Things like diet, foraging, space, level of physical activity, access to daylight/outdoors, etc. will all affect how the eggs taste, and this will vary from brand to brand and farm to farm. The best tasting eggs will come from chickens who are fed the best possible feed (we choose a locally milled organic, soy free, non-GMO certfied layer feed - yes, I'm an egg snob), and who spend a considerable amount of time free ranging (or have lots of space within a large fenced run.) The yolks will be orange and the eggs will be delicious!

Here's a pic of the different colors of eggs we currently get at home. I LOVE having chickens!

397679_10152404047630580_1663155075_n.jpg

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
YES, huge flavor difference.

nowicanseethemoon

Shiny_Rock
ericad|1376323254|3501404 said:
As your resident poultry nerd (I have 19 chickens at the moment), I can tell you that there's no difference between eggs of different colors, all else being equal (meaning that if a brown layer and a white layer are raised side by side, in exactly the same conditions, the eggs should taste the same as long as both chickens come from healthy, high quality stock). The shell colors vary depending on breed of chicken (even blue, green, pink, chocolate brown and olive colored eggs, to name a few), but the inside is the same.

For those who prefer the taste of brown eggs, it's possible that the brown eggs you're buying are from chickens who have been raised differently that those who produced the white eggs. Things like diet, foraging, space, level of physical activity, access to daylight/outdoors, etc. will all affect how the eggs taste, and this will vary from brand to brand and farm to farm. The best tasting eggs will come from chickens who are fed the best possible feed (we choose a locally milled organic, soy free, non-GMO certfied layer feed - yes, I'm an egg snob), and who spend a considerable amount of time free ranging (or have lots of space within a large fenced run.) The yolks will be orange and the eggs will be delicious!

Here's a pic of the different colors of eggs we currently get at home. I LOVE having chickens!

+1. I completely agree with all of this. :twirl:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
ericad|1376323254|3501404 said:

Exactly! You said that MUCH better than me :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eggs with deep rich orange yolks are the best. Basically you can't get them at regular US grocery stores.
I am NOT a fan of raising livestock, but if I had the room, I'd get three chickens and feed them really good food and then... feast on the amazing eggs!

When I was younger and traveling my favorite part of going abroad was the grocery stores. Oh, the eggs you could get in Australia, France and Italy... so amazing. They don't do what we do to our commercial eggs here. And you can totally tell the difference.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The chicken's diet definitely plays a role in how bland or tasty the egg will be. The country type free range chickens are very lean and produces delicious eggs. :lickout:

NTave

Shiny_Rock
I cant tell the difference in taste between white and brown, but I can taste a difference between farm fresh and store bought.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results