shape
carat
color
clarity

diamond - new AGS and GIA certs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jilljimmom

Rough_Rock
I am considering purchasing a diamond E color 1.29 carats SI1 clarity. The date of the cert GIA is 2000. A sarin report is attached.

1. Were sarin reports done in 2000?

2. The stone is rated as AGS0 with sarin report. Now I am reading about new proportion ratings measuring fire, brilliance, etc. Should I wait to purchase a stone that has all this new ratings ?

I''m concerned that because I am not an expert I may not be getting a good stone. Will all these new ratings up the prices for stones?

I am paying 8300 for the stone. Is that a fair price? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi BJ,

The Sarin machine was introduced in the early 90''s, I think, so one of 2000 is definitely possible.

Since you have the Sarin-data, please give them to us, so that we can assess the cut-quality. Since you are probably considering a round brilliant, I would not wait for new cut-grading by GIA or AGS. Both will adapt their grading of rounds at the earliest towards the end of the year. And with full Sarin-data available of a stone, we can give you a decent feedback.

Whether new ratings will change the pricing remains to be seen. Probably, average pricing will remain the same, with some groups going up in price, and others going down.

Once we see the Sarin-data, we can also give you some idea about fairness of the price.

Live long,

jilljimmom

Rough_Rock
To Paul from infinity diamonds. Thanks for your reply. Here is the sarin data:

7.04 diameter
1.29 carat
60.9% depth
34.7 crown angle
40.9 pav angle
56% table
.5% culet
no flour
1.1% girdle

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Basic measurements look good, and the cut-grade should not be affected by any new system. Impossible to say whether the stone is sufficiently symmetrical to be called super-ideal, but on the other hand, you are paying less than the price of super-ideal.

Therefore, based on the numbers, this looks OK.

Live long,

jilljimmom

Rough_Rock
Thank you Paul. The stone has a GIA ex/ex rating. I''m not sure if that is the symmetry you are talking about. Thanks again!

Should feathers on the lower image ever be a concern?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2005 9:24:50 AM
Author: jilljimmom
Thank you Paul. The stone has a GIA ex/ex rating. I''m not sure if that is the symmetry you are talking about. Thanks again!

Should feathers on the lower image ever be a concern?
Here is some information on the kind of symmetry Paul was talking about in a superideal (sometimes called Hearts & Arrows) diamond.

Hearts & Arrows

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results