shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on a Chrysoberyl

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
Hi all!

Per my previous thread, I'm looking for a green-yellow chrysoberyl or sapphire. I've contacted a few gem cutters (Uli, Steve Parry, Roger Dery, Doug, Gene, R2R, Jeff Davies, all based on the recommendations on PS) and some are pending, though most of them don't have anything in their inventory that work.

Ideally I want a square stone of 6-8mm, and I don't mind most cuts - though the cushion is probably my least favourite. Having said that, I've just seen this gold-green chrysoberyl on gemselect that seems to fit my criteria (http://www.gemselect.com/chrysoberyl/chrysoberyl-353905.php). It's a little litter than I might have wanted - but it's the closest so far in hue, size and shape.

I'm an inexperienced gemstone buyer - what I know is what I've read here and on other forums, so perhaps some of you out there could let me know what you think about it re price and quality?

Also, I am planning to set it in a white-gold halo - do you think it's too lightly-colored to stand out?

Thanks for any help!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry but that chrysoberyl is barely coloured and hugely windowed. Most stones on that website have major cut issues. Many have good luck with Tan from eBay. There's 3 or 4 stores listed in the Vetted or Often Used Vendor's list sticky.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I so hate windows.......
you contacted Doug at bespoke-gems.com?
i'm not a fan of recuts but others like to have it done.....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you wanting a very pale chrysoberyl, or one more saturated in color? I've seen lots of chrysoberyl, and some are more pale yellow, to a more saturated greenish yellow, to yelllowish green. It's a very bright stone, but I think the one thing to avoid with chrysoberyl is a significant brownish modifier. Whether you go with a more pale bright stone, to a more saturated "neon" colored stone (some look like neon yellow highlighter color), you want to make sure you avoid brown in the gem as it can make it very dull and muddy looking. Chrysoberyl is a very beautiful gem which takes a great polish, and is very very durable/hard. I think its really underrated right now, and prices are all over the place for great material, so search around.

I personally don't like the huge window in that stone, and it seems very pale, but that may be what you want. It looks a little brownish too. I have a very pale chrysoberyl in my collection, but it's cut very well, and is very bright. It lacks brown though.

Then you have fabulous stones like this which remind me of neon color. This is Chrono's stone.

custom-chrysoberyl-trilliant-yellow-gold-solitaire-ring-by-whiteflash-20422_4.jpg

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
Chrono said:
Many have good luck with Tan from eBay. There's 3 or 4 stores listed in the Vetted or Often Used Vendor's list sticky.

@Chrono, I've looked through Tan's ebay stores - and haven't seen anything I like, unfortunately.

jstarfireb said:
This one looks windowed but might be a good candidate for a recut (I'd ask Dan Stair about recutting):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-29ct-Cush...627?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51afff2f8b

I have seen this stone when I was perusing the store - it looks like there are quite a few imperfections in the stone - is it salvageable? I would much like a square stone - I don't want to consider anything else for now!

Also, with regards recutting - what is the normal procedure? Do I purchase and get it mailed to me before contacting a recutter and mailing it to him (I am in Singapore), or has anyone tried mailing it direct to the cutter?

@movie zombie, yes I have! he says he will get back to me and hopefully I will hear good news!

@TL, I am looking for something like Chrono's (so gorgeous!) though just a little bit lighter - much like this color (http://pinterest.com/pin/454441418619995270/), so nothing brown for me, and that one really is a little bit pale. I love chrysoberyl and the way it looks - pretty much set on it once I found out about it, and so I'm really holding out for a nice specimen for the e-ring!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck on what you find.

I'm so pleased someone is FINALLY getting a chrysoberyl for an ering. :appl: It's extremely durable, and is such a wise choice. Also, as far as I know, they're typically untreated as well.

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you search the Pricescope archives for chyrsoberyl because many people here have some beautiful specimens, and that will help you better train your eye for finer quality.

This is one that I'm about to get set. It's more of a yellow, rather than a green, and while not as saturated as Chrono's, it gives you an idea of what a more yellow one looks like without any of that brown in it. It's extremely bright and sparkles like mad. It's very hard to get photos of it without the luster and sparkle blinding your eyes.

tlsparkleydiamondcutchrysoberyl.jpg

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the one you are having set TL! I love chrysoberyl but I need a really intensely coloured one on my skin, like Chrono's chrysoberyl. Maybe one day!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I think maybe ChrisA could help you out if he sees this. He's had many stones recut by precision cutters and would know their protocols. He might also be able to advise you about the inclusions in that stone.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Wait a minute, I think I found one! Bottom right on this page:
http://www.gemfix.com/chrysoberyl.html

Chrysoberyl Modified "Radiante" Cut
Weight: 1.84 cts
Measurements: 6mm, depth 4mm
Clarity: VVS-VS
Origin: Tanzania
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 460.00
Order/Stock No.: chrysoberyl_56
Description: Flashy and brilliant light yellow-green color. Bright and beautiful.
(Cut by Andrew Gulij)
Pantone 374

chrysoberyl_56.jpg

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Are you more set on a specific color or the specific square shape? This may help direct your search.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
It looks good to me. Hope the experts will chime.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrysoberyl is amazing-I'm looking forward to seeing what you find!

I have one from Barry. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/barry-chryso-in-myheartmonster-semi-bezel.160596/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/barry-chryso-in-myheartmonster-semi-bezel.160596/[/URL] I adore the stone and ring and wear it every day. It's my perfect yellow.

I had one from Michael E, a supernova, and the color was really similar to my current round. I (very sadly :(( ) sold the supernova and miss it a lot.

Have you checked w/Barry or Michael?

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
You guys are so lovely! It sounds like this stone isn't going to work for the moment..

packrat said:
Have you checked w/Barry or Michael?

Thanks for this! I have just emailed the two of them - hopefully I'll hear some good news!

erinl said:
Are you more set on a specific color or the specific square shape? This may help direct your search.

I am set on the square shape - and I am willing to compromise on the colour. It appears that the problem with locating my ideal stone is the square shape in a 6-8mm :( still waiting on some get-back-to-yous!

jstarfireb said:
Wait a minute, I think I found one! Bottom right on this page:
http://www.gemfix.com/chrysoberyl.html

thank you! I saw this! 6mm is on the small side (ideally I would like a 7 or 8mm), but I've put this on hold because it's a little too much on the green side, without the yellowish tinge that I'd like..

if you've got any other cutters that I could ask, please let me know!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you try Peter Torraca?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results