shape
carat
color
clarity

Chrysoberyl question

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I have been looking for a cushion cut chrysoberyl ~7 mm in diameter, with that neon green-yellow color. I found one, but it has inclusions that are visible at close range. The inclusions are like fingerprint inclusions.

Do I keep on looking? My impression is that it's very hard to find one of the color, size and cut I want. Most chrysoberyls I've seen are oval, round, and/or do not have a neon quality.

I think some will answer that if the inclusions both me, not to go for it. I have to see the stone in person to determine this. The vendor is overseas (I am in the US), so I am on the fence bc of the difficulty with a return.

Thoughts? Should I expect chrysoberyls to have inclusions?

Please do not post chryoberyls lest someone post the one I am thinking of, and a lurker snatches it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not think of chrysoberyl as a highly included stone, and very few (if any) of mine have eye visible inclusions. That said, I have pear, round, trillion chrysos, but only one cushion and one radiant. I have only a handful that I would consider to have that neon. At the end of the day, it may come down to how long you want to search and how much you're willing to pay. I know you have patience and can undergo the torture of long searches - your spinel, for example - but fwiw, I would seriously consider the stone if the inclusion doesn't intrude on your consciousness too much. :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The difficulty as you've found is that you want a specific shape, mm size and that neon quality. Have you cropped the picture to life size to get an idea of the inclusion? The tricky thing is that when the light hits it just right, those fingerprints might really jump out at you. Does the cost reflect the pros and cons of the stone?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies. I was hoping that you would both chime in. (LD, I am hoping you'll give your opinion too.)

The price reflects the inclusions. I've never seen a chrysoberyl in person, nor have I seen a lot of this kind of inclusion in person, hence the fence-sitting.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, Preg, I've been thinking about this some more and just wanted to add that I, like you, am not seeing the neon stuff around much any more - and definitely not for the prices that were around a few years ago. That said, from time to time, I do see some amazing looking stones (with equally amazing price tags unfortunately) coming from Jeff Davies. This is by way of saying that since he still seems to locate excellent Tanzanian rough, if you work with him you could likely get what you want, though it won't necessarily be as inexpensive as it once was (but hey, that's true of everything except Tanzanite :bigsmile: ).

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
What would be a reasonable price if eye clean?

Thanks, Minou for your suggestion.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your question is a good one, but I honestly don't know that I can answer it. It used to be that you could find neon stones much more often, but now, its very infrequent that I see them. Combine that with the size, shape and clarity you want, and it may end up that its more of a seller's market and you have to take whatever they offer it for. That said, I would say that if you can find one, they would likely be in the $200-$400/ct price for a stone under 5 carats. There is one out there that is currently selling for about $700/ct for 13 carats (I didn't link in case that was the one you were oggling, lol).

If I were you, I would focus on the sellers of Tanzanian stones first and Madagascan second, as these seem to be the locations where I see the most neon stones - not from Sri Lanka though.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thx Minou

Lula

Ideal_Rock
You might also want to try Richard Homer. Another poster -- KimBraun -- and I bought chrysos from Richard. Here's Kim's thread about his https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-first-richard-homer-gem.175413/. These were mined in India. Kim's is concave cut; mine is portuguese cut. Richard can be a bit more pricey, but he knows neon chyrysoberyl! Here's a blurry, and no doubt PS-washed-out photo of mine in indirect daylight.

cimg1869.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lula|1376169048|3500413 said:
You might also want to try Richard Homer. Another poster -- KimBraun -- and I bought chrysos from Richard. Here's Kim's thread about his https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-first-richard-homer-gem.175413/. These were mined in India. Kim's is concave cut; mine is portuguese cut. Richard can be a bit more pricey, but he knows neon chyrysoberyl! Here's a blurry, and no doubt PS-washed-out photo of mine in indirect daylight.

Ahhhh, what is not to love about Chrysoberyl? :love: :cheeky:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Lula!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1376190978|3500582 said:
Thanks Lula!

You're welcome, preg -- good luck with your search.

And, Minous -- agreed. There's nothing else in the gem world quite like a good neon chrysoberyl. And I'm so grateful to you and Chrono and the others on CS who convinced me to keep my chrysoberyl. I love it more every time I look at it. :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish neon chrysoberyls are as easily found these days; they used to be less expensive too. Chrysoberyls are in general eye clean with neon colours from $200 to $600 per carat.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results