shape
carat
color
clarity

How could an sitting American president say these things?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: How could an sitting American president say these things

He is not one of my favorite President... :knockout:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Does it really surprise you Kenny?

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Attitudes have changed a lot in the last 40 years. That recording, if made while Nixon was president, was made in the early 1970s. A lot of views that were considered okay at the time aren't any longer. I'm just glad for the progression that this society has made in the last 40 years!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

That was FORTY YEARS AGO as Rhea said. I can't imagine why you wonder. There's been more societal change on many fronts in the last 40 years than in the 400 before that. Judging past times by present standards is a good way to drive yourself loco & skew your understanding of history. Nixon was a strange bird anyhow, but what he said was the majority outlook at the time. It was the way it was. I don't mean to sound aggressive, hope it doesn't come across that way, but people varied then as much as now. Maybe more so. =)

--- Laurie

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock

Scientific advancements since then have fed into profound changes in the way society thinks about ...pretty much everything.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, thrashing about something an American president said 40 years ago, when every other current garden-variety legislator/candidate/judge says far worse things demonizing more groups and with just as little shame, seems like a waste of time. The present is far more pressing. Bottom line, people are frequently mean. They have been since the beginning of time. Even the last 40 years can never change that fact. Still, society is for the most part much further along morally and ethically than it ever was in the past.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results