shape
carat
color
clarity

Will AGA cert a colored diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
As some of you know, I am buying a yellow diamond. I decided against a GIA report for now. Not so much for the cost, but foe the time it will take to get the stone evaluated. DBL said it could take 2 months. I don''t have a lot of specs for my stone other than color, clarity, carat weight. DBL said they would estimate the rest of the specs for me. I want to take it to AGA to get specs verified within the time period of a return. I don''t anticipate AGA saying the stone would be different from DBL. I just want it more for me. I want the supplemental data like: Diameter Deviation, Crown Height, Crown Angle, Pavillion depth, & Pavilion Angle. DBL say like look good, but I would like exact specs. I am I crazy to buy a diamond without all specs? I really love the diamond and DBL has been really working with me.
Thanks for your input!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
AGA will be pleased to give you specs and/or evaluation of a colored diamond. However, we do NOT perform Origin of Color examinations. If the stone is known to be natural, irradiated, HTHP, or synthetic, we can use that knowledge to create our report and valuation. We don''t like to see consumers purchase a diamond with the assumption it is natural in color if a qualified report to that effect is not given to them at the time of purchase.

If a seller tells you the stone is HTHP or irradiated, then we can use that as our assumption in creating a report. We just don''t want people guessing when they should have a document.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for your frankness about the high tech problems with grading fancy colors dave.

I went to a lecture today by GIA''s head of research - Dr. Jim Shigley - about these issues. They can now HPHT common Type Ia to strong gloden yellow. So now we can not even use a Diamond Spotter for type II detection.

I have always been amazed at how many more bright yellow diamonds there are now compared to a few years ago - where is the new big fancy yellow diamond mine?

I am not even interested in trading in fancy colored diamonds unless i buy directly from a proven source (eg I deal in Argyle Pinks because Riotino is completely above reproach - a very big public company and with no need to be involved in rackets).

And another thing - larger treatable diamonds tend to be type II - type II tend to be larger and free form. Notice how many colored diamonds are cut to fancy shapes (I know - they face up yellower) - and type II tend to be irregular rough. I see lots of big fancies at trade fairs - and very few smaller stones.

I really do not feel good about it.

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Hi David,
The stone is garanteed to be a 100% natural, untreated, nonenhanced stone. I live in the Philadelphia area. I had you original engagement ring certed by you about 5 yrs. ago. I want to bring this diamond into you to look at when I get it. I called your office last week and spoke to Jennifer and she said to call in a couple days ahead of time for appointment. I am purchasing this diamond from Diamonds By Lauren. The stone will already be in the ring.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Okay. Someone here can handle that.. Call 215-922-1926 ext 103 and speak to Mike when the time comes. Mike will be back in the office on Monday 3/7 or Tuesday 3/8. He is in Mexico right now. If you need the work done sooner call ext 104 for Ed or 102 for Chris. Both are good about doing this sort of work and will return messages left in their voicemail.

Sunni79

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! My jeweler is getting a sarin report done on the stone today. I should have the ring within a week and a half. What is the price of the cert? How long will it take?

Thank you.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
As David himself keeps repeating GIA is the final word on colored diamond at this time.
Id get the cert.

EdSkinner

Shiny_Rock
Get the GIA cert!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results