shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba Tourmaline help,please! Greg, are you around?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I saw a Brazilian Paraiba today (didn't take a picture) that is a tiny (.27) pear shape with terrible cutting, has a huge barn door window and is very shallow- but is the most GORGEOUS windex blue!!!! :love: It's actually pretty clean,too. I don't really know what something like this should cost. Any ideas on what a price range should be? It has a GIA cert (is that unusual for Paraiba tourmaline?) stating it is a Brazilian Paraiba.

On another note- I also saw a Richard Krementz Brazilian Paraiba ring today that was gorgeous,too. Not the windex blue-but glowed!!!
I do have a picture of it-although not the best pic, I think it shows the glow!! Ring is platinum with 1.24 ct diamonds-the Paraiba cabochon is 6.42 cts (included, but still so pretty!!) Asking price $29,000.00.

2013-06-18_16-48-10_559.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So the GIA lab memo states the origin as Brazilian? Unheated? Unoiled? Untreated? Having a reputable lab memo is not unheard of for stones of high value or rarity.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Hi Chrono! The GIA report stated origin as Brazil and identified it as a Paraiba. Unfortunately, I don't remember it saying anything about treatments. Wish I'd taken a picture of the report,too :rolleyes:

eta- the vendor does state that he does not sell any treated stones,although I don't know him well enough to say if that's true or not.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the mention, I'm flattered by it but I'm by no means an expert on Paraiba.

I will say this though, the two stones in my avatar were priced at $3k a ct... and they have passable cutting.

My take on the cabbed ring is that it seems fully priced. Where I get my diamonds from, 12 nice .10 point diamonds would be in the $3-4k range. By itself I would expect to see that Paraiba cabochon in the $2k ct. range. If you add it all up you are looking at roughly $16k in stones, which would make that setting $13k. :|

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
GregS|1373657191|3481954 said:
Thanks for the mention, I'm flattered by it but I'm by no means an expert on Paraiba.

I will say this though, the two stones in my avatar were priced at $3k a ct... and they have passable cutting.

My take on the cabbed ring is that it seems fully priced. Where I get my diamonds from, 12 nice .10 point diamonds would be in the $3-4k range. By itself I would expect to see that Paraiba cabochon in the $2k ct. range. If you add it all up you are looking at roughly $16k in stones, which would make that setting $13k. :|

thanks, Greg. I know you've looked at a lot of Paraibas, so thought I'd get your input. I'm not considering the ring- it was just pretty and I did have the picture, so thought I'd post it. The gem I'm considering is the little .27 pear. Are the stones in your avatar both cabs or is one faceted? The one I'm thinking about is faceted, albeit poorly-lol. Color is pretty similar to the stone on the left of this photo.

paraibasuitepala.jpg

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Both are faceted...

dsc_0474.jpg

The clarity on the smaller one is poor, so it's hard to tell. Neither one are big time scintillators.

I wish you had a picture of the pear. I'd like to see it.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
If I can get back to the show tomorrow, I'll be sure and take a picture this time ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I await pictures of the pear paraiba with unbridled anticipation too! :lickout:

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1373825641|3482899 said:
I await pictures of the pear paraiba with unbridled anticipation too! :lickout:

Oh,sorry Chrono- I didn't go back to the show. Yesterday rained cats and dogs and I didn't feel like driving there and today my MIL is coming in to stay for a week so I won't be able to get there this afternoon either. I pretty much had decided against buying it and didn't want to tempt myself by looking at it again. Although the color was gorgeous- I'm not sure it glowed enough. I don't feel I've seen enough to tell. I did buy this tiny little one,though. :Up_to_something: It's itty, bitty and might make a cute little accent stone on a necklace. I've had a very hard time photographing it. I can't seem to capture the glow and it's a tad bit bluer than the photo. As it wasn't anywhere near the price of the other I wasn't to worried about provence although it's supposed to be from Brazil- yeah, right

baby_paraiba1.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Is there a show in town and I didn't know it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if I should be sorry you couldn't make back to the show or not. :bigsmile: In any case, I'm sure your bank account thanks you for it. When in doubt, it is best to take more time to reconsider, which you've done so. Now.....more pictures of the new stone please!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1373839473|3482948 said:

Aw.... SB- it was a tiny show and only 2 vendors that had much interesting, so you didn't miss much. I do have to say that the vendor who had some of the Richard Krementz pieces had some awesome jewelry from his now defunct company. I was really glad I got to see those!! If you want, I'll let you know when the next show comes around- I think there might be one labor day weekend- unless I can talk you into a road trip to Intergem in Chantilly next month!! :naughty:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
pinkjewel|1373903117|3483277 said:

Aw.... SB- it was a tiny show and only 2 vendors that had much interesting, so you didn't miss much. I do have to say that the vendor who had some of the Richard Krementz pieces had some awesome jewelry from his now defunct company. I was really glad I got to see those!! If you want, I'll let you know when the next show comes around- I think there might be one labor day weekend- unless I can talk you into a road trip to Intergem in Chantilly next month!! :naughty:

I'm in!!! when? where?? email me!

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
SB621|1373908632|3483339 said:
pinkjewel|1373903117|3483277 said:

I'm in!!! when? where?? email me!

email sent!! :D

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Don't fall for the marketing gimmick of "Paraiba" . The color is no different than a afghan colored by Iron....which cost a fraction of the price. Don'/t pay for something you can't see.....ie. copper. Iron can, and does, produce the same color as copper. Only the top 10% ever mined were actually worth the money

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barrett|1374745481|3489806 said:
Don't fall for the marketing gimmick of "Paraiba" . The color is no different than a afghan colored by Iron....which cost a fraction of the price. Don'/t pay for something you can't see.....ie. copper. Iron can, and does, produce the same color as copper. Only the top 10% ever mined were actually worth the money

A lot of these stones, in particular ones with lots of inclusions, are fracture filled as well.

A long time ago, you could find really neon and nice cuprians for a good price, but its harder now, and much of the material is hyped up because it has copper, not necessarily because it 'glows' As always, one should view the stone, any stone, in a variety of lighting to ensure it retains its saturation of color. I've seen cuprians go more dull looking in certain lights.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1374773257|3490052 said:
Barrett|1374745481|3489806 said:

A lot of these stones, in particular ones with lots of inclusions, are fracture filled as well.

A long time ago, you could find really neon and nice cuprians for a good price, but its harder now, and much of the material is hyped up because it has copper, not necessarily because it 'glows' As always, one should view the stone, any stone, in a variety of lighting to ensure it retains its saturation of color. I've seen cuprians go more dull looking in certain lights.

+ 1

I don't think I've seen a "great" Paraiba for sale for many years now. :(sad

gsellis

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Just a note. The first pic appears to be a cabochon pear cut. Referring to a cab as having a window would be a misnomer. Cabs are not done to take advantage of refractive indices, so you would not call it windowed. It is supposed to be that way. It actually looks like a good cut from the side view.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
George Ellis|1375151380|3492861 said:
Just a note. The first pic appears to be a cabochon pear cut. Referring to a cab as having a window would be a misnomer. Cabs are not done to take advantage of refractive indices, so you would not call it windowed. It is supposed to be that way. It actually looks like a good cut from the side view.

The pear with a window is not the pear cabochon in the picture. If you reread my post you will see that I was referring to a different gem and I didn't take a picture of that one. =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results