shape
carat
color
clarity

cert age, differences, pricing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jilljimmom

Rough_Rock
I have found a stone I am considering buying. It is an ideal cut E 1.29c SI1 stone. The GIA cert is dated 11/16/2000 with a sarin report attached. This ring was recently traded in to the jeweler. Is the cert too old. Should I seek recertification?

Also, the sarin report and GIA have different measurements.

GIA 7.02-7.07 x 4.27
60.6% depth 57% table
culet none

sarin
7.01-7.06 x 4.29
60.9% 56%
culet .5% very small

Is this a common occurence? Should I be concerned?

I am paying $8300 for this stone. Is it a fair price?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I know that it''s not unusual for a Sarin and GIA certificate to have slight variations in the measurements.

Does the Sarin report have the angles on it? It should.

I would not worry about getting another certificate as long as you are sure that the stone you have matches that certificate. You may want to have it checked out by an independent appraiser to make sure.

I''m not sure about the price. You can do a check here at Pricescope for comparable stones.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Price seems high to me and id want it recerted or checked by an independant appraiser for damage.
A lot can happen to a diamond in 4 years.
For the same amount you could get a super-ideal in that size range from one of the recomended PS vendors.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The age of the lab report is not, by itself a problem. As Storm points out, there is the possibility of damage during the intervening time and it would be prudent to have the stone checked by a pro prior to making your final decision. I generally recommend you have ANY stone of substantial value checked out so this isn’t really about the date of the report as much as the other details of the transaction and your confidence in your own grading skills.

There is some level of concern about the shifting of the grading scales but this apparent trend is towards more lenient grading not towards becoming more stringent. The result is actually a possible benefit to people who buy stones with older reports. This especially applies for reports in the 1980’s when compared with newer exams.

Others have answered you Sarin question.

Neil Beaty
GG(SIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results