shape
carat
color
clarity

secondary market clothing...

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Don't you just love when your local Sally Ann has a 50% off sale? I went to three today, spent a total of $25 dollars and got:

an Escada Sport cashmere and merino wool vest that looks like it has never been worn
2 t-shirts (navy and purple) that look new to me
a funky Hawaiian rayon shirt (you'd have to see it), again did they wear it?
a Mexx merino wool and cashmere sweater
2 jean skirts (one light wash, one dark wash).
a J Crew pink cotton sweater with mother of pearl buttons (I adore MOP buttons!). I swear it hasn't been worn...doesn't look it anyway.
a green cotton summer sweater, with satin piping and MOP buttons ( :love: ). A tiny bit of wear - like twice?

My goal is to buy stuff that looks new, and I check carefully for holes and stains.

Good times...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I'm not familiar with Sally Ann. Is it a consignment store?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never heard of Sally Ann.
Is it a thrift store or do they sell new stuff?
(I'm not sure what you mean by the term secondary market clothing.)

Anyway, for the last 15 years 100% of my clothes have been purchased from a thrift store (previously-owned clothes).
My underwear, sox and shoes are purchased new.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Sally Ann = Salvation Army Thrift Stores. Where I live 75 % of the Thrift stores are Salvation Army, or Sally Ann for short.

We do have Value Village as well. They used to be fabulous, with an incredible amount of inventory, but their prices are gone ridiculous (I can buy most things cheaper new with our current economy).

I would say 80 % of my clothing is used, and man do I get some great, and unique stuff.

I adore a good deal.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love vintage clothing and I love shopping and getting a good deal. Unfortunately for me many of the vintage items I tend to buy are not inexpensive.
Good for you Begonia-sounds like you scored some sweet items!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Haha I knew what Sally Anne was right away, but I think its a Canadian way of saying it.

Your finds sound great! Sometimes they have such cool stuff!

I'm in Ontario and a few coworkers have said that Value Village is now trendy for teens. They want to work there and shop there. Too bad about the prices going up.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shoot, I wish we had stuff like that around here. We have a couple consignment shops in town, where I take our clothes, hoping to get a few bucks back out of them if they sell. But, I don't buy much there b/c prices aren't much different from prices at regular stores. When stores do their end of season sales, I can get some good deals then. The consignment shop does that too, but there isn't the selection you can find at a regular store. A lot of Trapper's clothes are hand me downs from the son of a guy JD used to work with-they're very big into name brands, and things are hardly worn.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Bummer packrat, but at least you can get some stuff here and there (you are, after all, a packrat :lol: ).

I have about 5 that I frequent, and I have really rounded out my wardrobe. I also am nuts about wool sweaters: merino, cashmere (if I can get it), mohair (although allergic to some of it). Those are out of my budget new, and are becoming increasingly hard to find new anyway (what's up with that? The cost of raising sheep?). I have found the best sweaters at the Sally Ann's. Truth be told, I have a wool sweater/vest problem. Up to, oh, 30 now? The above 2 were $3 each (half price sale). How can one not have 30 sweaters at that price?

I adore a good deal.

Retail therapy without the guilt.

Oh ya, that and mugs/cups. I am all about having exactly the right mug.

And plant pots. Don't forget the plant pots. You know, you can drill a hole through just about anything and make 'em. Saves a ton.

Okay, now I wanna hear what everyone else hunts for...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results