shape
carat
color
clarity

oval diamonds and pavilion angles

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thorndor

Rough_Rock
So, I''m looking for a oval diamond and have read much about cut quality(at this and related sites), but most of that information appears to be for round diamonds. I have found the AGA fancy cut standards, but they make no mention of pavalion angles. Is this because they are somehow less useful for ovals? If they are useful, how does one determine good pavalion/crown angles for ovals?

The disclaimer: I''m way new at this and have been craming tutorials into my brain. So, if the question is really silly feel free to point that out to me. Or, if its already answered somewhere please point me in that direction.

Thanks,

Richard

p.s. I really think it''s awesome that so many people hang out here, take their time, and provide such valuable info.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The two considerations you need to check in an oval is that the shape is good.They shouldn't be long and thin, or "chubby" or appear like a "roval".The appeal of the Oval is critically dependent on it's shape. A length to width ratio of 1.35 to 1.65, is nice, with even rounded shoulders.

The second consideration, which requires a little more skill is an evaluation of how serious any apparent bowtie affect is .The absence of a the"bow-tie” effect (a dark area in the center of the stone in the shape of a bow-tie that breaks up the even distribution of light) is an important feature of an eye-pleasing Oval diamond.
When cut correctly an oval can be a visual beauty.

Fancy Shapes are a little trickier in that there is no set of proportions that might yield a more visual appealing diamond. Facet length, angle and placement especially how these factors attribute to the cutting of the pavilion facets of an oval will to a certain extent set the course on how appealing this fancy shape will be.

I think it is important to shop with your eye's, especially with fancy cuts and get an independent appraiser like Dave Atlas to give you their opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results