shape
carat
color
clarity

Is there REALLY an alternative?!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ria baby

Rough_Rock
I am shopping for an engagement ring. I decided on a radiant solitare, with channel set diamonds on both sides of the center stone. But A lot of new "diamond alternatives" have shown up on the market. And I have been wondering if any of them could be convincing enough to be placed in the channel setting instead of diamonds??? I have heard of Moissanite, something called "Russian Brilliants" & then white sapphire... What do you think? Do you know anything about these stones??? Thanks Alot!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Either you stick with the real thing or you stick with "the alternatives", You don''t want to mix a real diamond radiant with simulants, or white sapphires for the channel set stones. Just doesn''t make sense to me.

ria baby

Rough_Rock
i just thought it might save me money.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2005 12:35:17 AM
Author: ria baby
i just thought it might save me money.
Replacing the center stone with something would defintely save cash. If the sides are small this would be less specatacular, especially if the ring ends up custom made anyway.

There's another trick: the simulants are soft and the stones on the ring band exposed to wear. On the new ring this would not be a problem, but a couple of months (weeks ?) down the road CZ dulls out. And channel set stones cannot be replaced. On the other hand, the center stone set in prongs can be easily changed. And given how much even fine cut CZ cost... you can just buy a batch and keep replacing ... if that sounds reasonable.

White sapphire is hard enough, but doesn't mix all that well with diamonds. It has no fire and just plain looks different. Small stones are dull - not a great diamond impersonator. A large and fine cut (cut is critical, and quite unusual to find a fine one) white sapphire would stand out on it's own.

This is pretty much all I know.

IMO, of all diamond simulants Asha does the job best. Moisanite doesn't quite have the look anywhere above 1 carat if even. There seem to be better versions now (not as green) but large stones start showing the double refraction (the facts appear blurred).

A really fine setting and fine cuting on the stones would make the whole shebank a hundred times more "real" even if all gems are fakes.
23.gif
Way, way better than an unapealing diamond in a no-comment setting.
7.gif

michela002

Shiny_Rock
Have you considered, instead of trying to get something that looks like a diamond but isn''t, going the coloured stone route? I too am trying to get more "bang for (his) buck" on my e-ring and am 99% set on getting an aqua-blue sapphire with small diamond side stones, or possible a pave "halo" around it. Once you open your mind to the possibility of NOT having a diamond you might like the idea of it, plus you could get something much larger, or a more intricate setting, with the money saved on NOT getting a diamond.

ria baby

Rough_Rock
Thank you Valeria101 & indecisive! I appreciate your comments :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results