• No

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A new energy bar is gaining popularity surprisingly quickly, and may even show up at Whole Foods soon.
Yes, it contains crickets, actually cricket flour.

Here's a snip from CNN ... http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/23/smallbusiness/cricket-bar/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

He researched insect farming and learned that insects convert grain and grass into edible protein as much as 10 times more efficiently than cows and pigs.
This gave Crowley the idea to create an all-natural snack made with cricket protein.
He recruited a chef friend and a business-savvy college buddy to help launch his idea.

It took them eight months to line up a cricket supplier from California, rent a commercial kitchen, perfect recipes and get the necessary approval from the Food and Drug Administration for the energy bars.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ericad|1374615920|3488720 said:
Ew. No. Never. Nuh-uh.

What Erica said.
with one addition- :knockout:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would. I have tried small dried crickets before but I really dislike the mental image of a little insect leg caught between my teeth really puts me off (yuck, yuck, yuck). But if they are ground up into flour, then I am fine with it.

Some ants, however, have a very interesting taste - something like ginger and lemongrass. Spicy and fresh. Ants on pineapple was a fantastic experience. But I still have to try hard not to think of little legs.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
Not sure I could eat them whole (although Oyamel in DC has a grasshopper taco on the menu and I thought seriously about trying it before ordering something else...had we ever gone back, I might have caved, but we never did...) but I'd be open to trying one made with the flour. I'll try pretty much anything once.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'll pass.

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've eaten live crickets... I imagine a cricket bar would be much better.

(In terms of the circumstances, my middle school had this survivalist kind of camp thing... we had to eat bugs and lichen and stuff. I mean there was real food too, but also we had to go scavenge for ants and crickets. Ants taste like apples. idek why this was a thing we had to do. Private schools are weird.)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure. Somehow roasted grasshoppers seem more appealing than crickets, I imagine them tasting like pistachios.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a chance!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I am surprised how many people are strongly opposed to this. They're ground into flour, so there wouldn't be any semblance of insect left to them, in terms of composition.

They're very good for you; if you can put them in a form I can't recognize, I'd be all over it. I am certain there are unrecognizable parts of animals that you'd never otherwise eat in foods -- hot dogs, anyone? Almost no one would knowingly eat pig trotters or cow tongue or offal, but I have no doubt they are.

In fact, I despise crickets and grasshoppers so much (they freak me out!), I'd be very pleased to lead a counterstrike against them. :lol:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Would you try a "Cricket Bar"?

Not a chance.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think I could do it. I don't like crickets in general. They make a weird squeaking sound when you step on them and I can't eat crunchy peanut butter b/c the peanuts sometimes squeak in my teeth when I'm chewing. If my teeth made a weird sound when I was chewing it, even if they were ground up, I'd just freak out and vomit.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I'm with justginger on this one, I'm surprised that it's so distasteful (hardeehar) to so many people. Many of us eat much worse things without even knowing it. And it's cricket flour, how odd can it be compared to other flours like bulgar, quinoa etc?

So, yes, I would definitely give these a try!

Eta: I'm super freaked out by crickets. One flew into our car once, it was jumping on my legs and I was freaking out. Thankfully I wasn't the one driving.

Eta ii: isnt eating bugs supposed to be the solution to food shortages and much better for the environment compared to cattle, chicken and pig farms?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, the idea doesn't appeal to me and they're overpriced. It kills me, as it is, to buy Odwalla & Clif bars for $1.00 each (I spend at least $80 a month on those) so there is no way I'd pay three times as much for a bug bar.

If there was a TV show/contest that had me eat one and offered to pay me for doing so, I'd try it...but I'd not buy it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
maccers|1374723584|3489699 said:
I'm with justginger on this one, I'm surprised that it's so distasteful (hardeehar) to so many people. Many of us eat much worse things without even knowing it. And it's cricket flour, how odd can it be compared to other flours like bulgar, quinoa etc?

So, yes, I would definitely give these a try!

Eta: I'm super freaked out by crickets. One flew into our car once, it was jumping on my legs and I was freaking out. Thankfully I wasn't the one driving.

Eta ii: isnt eating bugs supposed to be the solution to food shortages and much better for the environment compared to cattle, chicken and pig farms?

Yeah, surely some of the foods we eat have been contaminated by something like crickets and we ate it w/out knowing it...but still the price is silly.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
MC|1374724603|3489710 said:
No, the idea doesn't appeal to me and they're overpriced. It kills me, as it is, to buy Odwalla & Clif bars for $1.00 each (I spend at least $80 a month on those) so there is no way I'd pay three times as much for a bug bar.

If there was a TV show/contest that had me eat one and offered to pay me for doing so, I'd try it...but I'd not buy it.

They are rather expensive for the American market. Our normal granola bars here are about $2 each; the super organic, oxidant, whole grains, hippie ones :wink2: can be double that. So that prices would be fine here, but definitely not in the States where you can get a whole sit down pasta meal for $7.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
justginger|1374725377|3489723 said:
MC|1374724603|3489710 said:

They are rather expensive for the American market. Our normal granola bars here are about $2 each; the super organic, oxidant, whole grains, hippie ones :wink2: can be double that. So that prices would be fine here, but definitely not in the States where you can get a whole sit down pasta meal for $7.

Yeah, it depends where a person shops. Whole Foods Market is more expensive than the natural food section of the chain grocery store I shop at AND since I have four people to feed and we try to eat mostly organic, when something is on sale, I stock up. I often end up paying about 89 cents for a Clif bar when they're on sale. That reduction makes up for not being able to find organic chicken for less than around $7 a pound. (And we aren't entirely wholefood/organic, but don't go to fast food resturants, etc., and never eat those giant mega-meals that contain 2000 mg of sodium and as many calories, either....we do have a few junk food items - like yogurt that has as much sugar as a candy bar, but we never eat foods like Hamburger Helper...and I just got in BIG TROUBLE because I couldn't remember what that name was...that is how long it's been... lol).

ALL that said, we try and eat organic, healthy, and often whole food, but we're not perfect...though, if cricket bars were on sale for 10 cents a bar, I'd still not be compelled to try one.

tuffyluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Would you try a "Cricket Bar"?

Ewww! I used to keep reptiles and I would frequently feed them crickets. And the crickets smelled like a$$. Literally. I think because of the way they were kept and what they were fed, but if these crickets are anything like that: NO.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results