shape
carat
color
clarity

Beware Hanadama and non-GIA classified Akoya pearls

SanDiegoGuy

Rough_Rock
The only "high five" I gave to American Pearl was based on my experience so far, which involved excellent service and promptness.

I assure you I will examine the pearls from American Pearl with the same discerning eyes I used to examine the Hanadama pearls. I only said that based on other reviews of American Pearl, which were a major factor in my decision to buy from there, I do not think that I will be disappointed.

Do you go on yelp and bash people if they post a less-than-glowing review about a restaurant? If someone said "The service was good, the food was bad." would you go calling them a shill?

To suggest that I ordered some pearls and returned them in some sort of shill scam seems a bit paranoid. Give me a break.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I'm going off the first post only, and didn't really read the rest, so here is my reaction to that;

I have never understood the various names given to pearls. To me, they're just like brand names any manufacturer assigns; they may differentiate his particular types of stock, but to me they have no real bearing out in the rest of the world.

I also find it odd that some people get all het up when a pearl supplier uses "AAAA", because to me, that is just another rating that is personal to that seller.

I have purchased AA and AAA Akoya pearls from Mikimoto (sp?) and I can see the difference, but it is pretty minor.

I have also purchased AA and AAA South Seas from Jose at tahitianpearls.biz and I can see the difference.

I have seen both of those grades with my own eyes, Jose is a GIA pearls grad and Mikimoto is of course, Mikimoto. I don't actually understand all these other grades and names and brands. I have never really understood the need to deviate from the traditional A to AAA grading system.

I just take all the "branded" grades with a grain of (sea) salt. :D

ETA: I also feel the same about diamond "brands": "Leo" diamonds and all that. For me, it's GIA rated or it's just not relevant.

ILander thanks for adding to the discussion.

I think the problem is that people (newbs) assume that AAAA should be better than an AAA. However, the AAAA could really be AA+ quality of nicer places. They are just trying to dupe customers into thinking they carry better items at a better price.

It would be like if a new diamond grading lab came out with D+ and D++ diamonds but those D+ diamonds actually equalled AGS and GIA F/G's.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
all i know is that i'm going to be really ticked off if this thread ends up with the pearl forum going the way of the dodo.....
i'd rather see this thread locked right now than have that happen!

Jeweljunke

Shiny_Rock
Movie Zombie: I agree. I don't see that this is good for ANY of the vendors mentioned. When I was shopping for baroque silver akoyas, I did my homework, I searched the web, and I finally ordered the same size strand from AP and PP. I had them in home within two days of each other, and I chose the one that was better quality. (I did choose PP, but would have gone with AP if it had been better). Their prices were virtually the same. I'm a consumer, and my loyalty is going to go to the best value and quality for me, my loyalty is NOT going to go to a particular vendor. I would order from AP again, but again I would compare and choose, especially when it is higher priced merchandise I am shopping for. And when it came to Hanadama, I ordered from a multi-generational seller in Japan. Stunning quality. Anyway, bickering between vendors is not professional and a little embarrassing. If they have issues, they need to use the court system.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I have never seen a forum where it appeared shills for a company trashed their competition and then gave rave reviews at multiple forums, prior to receiving the goods. I was watching TV today and saw a commercial for http://reputationdefendertestimonials.com/ and thought of this forum and its posts. You can say anything you want here and it is picked up by search engines and spread everywhere. The person who is being smeared rightfully or not, has no way to defend themselves against that.
I knew something was up at the beginning of his post. All the double boxed presentation boxes I had gotten from The Pearl Source were high quality. The likelihood they would send Hanadama grade pearls out in such horrible presentation boxes that the OP felt he would have to go out and replace it, made me suspicious of anything else in his post.
I agree that this forum is not a place to fight, but Pearl Source was defamed and had the right to show everyone the quality of the goods they sell so you can see them for yourself. How would YOU feel if this was your business and this had happened to you?
If we are right and this EDDIE is behind this, if he isn't called out, which other vendor who is his competition will be next?

SanDiegoGuy

Rough_Rock
This is quite frankly becoming absurd. It all comes down to "he said she said". You said the jewelry box looked nice, I think it looked like crap. I have purchased a lot of jewelry over the years from Tiffany, Chanel, Ehime Pearl, Robins Brothers, as well as local retailers, and everything came in nice, felt or silk lined jewelry boxes with strong clasps. Maybe in your opinion the box was nice, but it was not up to my standard. I know $450 isn't a lot for jewelry but I was expecting a little more.

And now for my followup as promised. The new earrings came in today, and they are truly stunning. Believe me, after all the fuss this thread caused, I examined them very very thoroughly and could not find one single imperfection or blemish. This is what I expect to get when I buy the top grade of pearls from a company. I will be proud to give these to my girlfriend.

The pearls and customer service speak for themselves. I mentioned that I needed to send this to my girlfriend who is overseas and I wished them to arrive by Valentines Day. Without my asking, a second pair was overnighted to me so that I could send it as soon as possible. This is how you make life-long customers.

Thanks Eddie

And to everyone who thinks I am some kind of shill: Stuff it.

IMG_20120203_093706.jpg

set2374

Rough_Rock
NacreLover|1328290717|3118335 said:
I have never seen a forum where it appeared shills for a company trashed their competition and then gave rave reviews at multiple forums, prior to receiving the goods. I was watching TV today and saw a commercial for http://reputationdefendertestimonials.com/ and thought of this forum and its posts. You can say anything you want here and it is picked up by search engines and spread everywhere. The person who is being smeared rightfully or not, has no way to defend themselves against that.
I knew something was up at the beginning of his post. All the double boxed presentation boxes I had gotten from The Pearl Source were high quality. The likelihood they would send Hanadama grade pearls out in such horrible presentation boxes that the OP felt he would have to go out and replace it, made me suspicious of anything else in his post.
I agree that this forum is not a place to fight, but Pearl Source was defamed and had the right to show everyone the quality of the goods they sell so you can see them for yourself. How would YOU feel if this was your business and this had happened to you?
If we are right and this EDDIE is behind this, if he isn't called out, which other vendor who is his competition will be next?

Nacrelover, if Eddie has seen this thread, he certainly hasn't chimed in. I had a good shopping experience with his company (and it looks like SanDiegoGuy did as well). I have also had other good experiences with other vendors--in fact, I have yet to have a bad pearl shopping experience (hope I didn't jinx myself). Obviously SanDiegoGuy was upset over his experience with another vendor and wanted to share it. It seems like it was genuine disappointment, whether his strong feelings about the pearl earrings he bought. I think the thread did a great job in giving people a chance to evaluate the situation and come to their own conclusion--giving all parties an opportunity to explain their side of the story (effectively I might add).

I know some people don't like it when these threads become a little heated, but in the end, this was a valuable exchange of information. I hope the moderators don't throw out the baby with the bath water. It makes more sense just to delete the company names, but let the argument stand so other parts of the discussion are available. I, for one, was more interested in the discussion on Hanadama than seeing any vendors praised or bashed. On the other hand, i have been ripped of a couple of times (recently) in online transactions that I learned were coming out of china, but posing as US based. Obviously, there are times when it's important that we have a chance to get the word out.

By the way those earrings that SanDiego just posted and they do look awesome, but the others look good too. Obviously, the photos weren't clear enough to distinguish any spotting or blemishes, but both earrings had a lot of luster. The new ones appear to have a bit more, but that could be lighting, camera angle etc. The new earrings seem to have more of a rose overtone and the old earrings had more of a silver overtone, to my eyes anyway. I prefer a rose overtone--but that is a personal preference and does not speak to the quality of the pearl itself. If you're used to associating Rose overtones with akoyas, when you see a strand that's silver overtone or without an overtone--it can through you off and make you ask "what's up with these?" In the end, I am glad things worked out for and you're happy with the result. :)

ThePearlSource

Rough_Rock
Trade
As I stated previously, like our competitors, every customer that purchases from our company has the right to return their product for a refund. You have every right to not be "thrilled" with our product. The fact that you are unhappy with our product is not the problem, its the manner in which you have expressed yourself which is problematic.
I think the reason people are suspicious is because you were able to post on American Pearl's forum while others are not.
Suspicion arises when you post the same review on multiple sites, using titles that increase the likelihood of damaging our reputation online, something that typically programmers know how to do, which is what you state as your profession on several websites online.
Suspicion arises when you bash pearls that you received claiming that they were "awful' and have "instantly-noticeable surface imperfections." Granted, the photos were not super-high resolution photos, but where on those pearls did you see "instantly-noticeable" imperfections?
And to use your analogy of Yelp, I have never seen anyone bash a restaurant for having bad food, and then in the same review instantly praise a restaurant they have never eaten at. In this scenario, I have the "food" as evidence and photographed for the public to view online. Food is a matter of taste and subjective, pearl quality is factual. The pearls either have blemishes or don't, there is no "in-between," and these pearls, Sir, were very, VERY clean.
I respect a customers' right to be unhappy and they have every right to return a product for a refund. However, I will not allow our reputation to be tarnished online.

SanDiegoGuy

Rough_Rock
My only comments on AP were in regards to the service I had received thus, not on the pearls, which I noted in my post.

I do not understand how saying beware of Hanadama or non-GIA certified pearls is damaging to a specific business.

Lastly, perhaps a web developer or someone who does search engine optimization would know how how to manipulate search results in this manner, but I do not. "Programmer" covers a wide range of disciplines.

If there is one negative post among a sea of positive posts, a rational person will disregard it.

SanDiegoGuy

Rough_Rock
One more note for ThePearlSource:

What do you think is more damaging to your reputation? My one account of my experience with your company, or you reacting by personally attacking me, your customer, and my character, claiming you were immediately suspicious because I was not happy with what I purchased, and then posting my personal information online which you obtained with information from our private business transaction?

Just as we have the right to write about our positive experiences with businesses online, we can also write about our negative experiences. Trying to intimidate and discredit people who do so is probably not the best thing to do if you are concerned about your reputation.

ThePearlSource

Rough_Rock
Trade
SanDiegoGuy|1328302442|3118464 said:
you were immediately suspicious because I was not happy with what I purchased
If you think I was suspicious because you were unhappy with the pearls than I'm sorry but you clearly didn't read my post. Many, many people post positive reviews online, rarely we get negative reviews. In seven years, I have NEVER responded to a customer who writes a negative review. Your review was defamatory while praising a company whose pearls you had yet to receive, and then posting that review on several websites.
Furthermore, although I have all of your information, I posted nothing about you online. Not your name, address, email, or any other information. That information is confidential and remains that way, but I do find it ironic that you make that accusation after posting a screenshot of our Google transaction online with all of our information included in your post.

SanDiegoGuy

Rough_Rock
Oh, really?

Did you forget that you posted my profession online? That is something. And how did you figure out my profession? That is right, from information you obtained through our private business transaction. The only information contained on my screenshot was information that is available on your website. Any private information was blacked out.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
take it off line, guys....i for one believe you have enough "history" to know how to do that.

I REALLY DO NOT WANT THIS PARTICULAR FORUM CLOSED DOWN! i'm here to learn and don't have a problem with some heated discussion....geez, come on over to the color stone forum some time.

again, take it off line, please, until you agree to disagree or come to some conclusion between yourselves. imo, this is just not the time or place for a decent into online dueling.

and in case i wasn't clear: I REALLY DO NOT WANT THIS PARTICULAR FORUM CLOSED DOWN!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Had to look up what shill and shilling meant, have no clue about akoyas, computer-challenged...but my instinct tells me that somethin' ain't right here. What is that saying? Methinks thou dost protest too much? (SDG and Set that is).

Shut 'er down Ella

Say, wonder if that computer defamation thingie works t'other way. WHHHOOOO HHOOOOOO, I had the best damn service of my life with PEARL PARADISE, and I am thinking of trying PEARLS OF JOY next. I hear they are fabulous too. What are their names? JEREMY and KEVIN?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Begonia|1328316647|3118602 said:
Had to look up what shill and shilling meant, have no clue about akoyas, computer-challenged...but my instinct tells me that somethin' ain't right here. What is that saying? Methinks thou dost protest too much? (SDG and Set that is).

Shut 'er down Ella

Say, wonder if that computer defamation thingie works t'other way. WHHHOOOO HHOOOOOO, I had the best damn service of my life with PEARL PARADISE, and I am thinking of trying PEARLS OF JOY next. I hear they are fabulous too. What are their names? JEREMY and KEVIN?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: What she said :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Ok, everyone knows how I feel about this.

Assuming that Set and SDG are different people and are not the owner of a certain pearl business... well, we are not going to see eye to eye, at all.

There are two debates here.

The Hanadama debate and the Eddie debate.

If we want to keep this forum section open we should start a new thread JUST ON hanadama certification etc..

I prefer arguing this though, but I do value this section and would hate to see it leave.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Ellie,

Please lock down this THREAD, but PLEASE DON'T shut down the pearl forum! I have received so much valuable information here.

All I have to say, if it looks like a rat, smells like a rat, it's probably a rat.

drewsnow

Rough_Rock
Yall are hilarious... I actually read through almost all that bickering hoping I might actually eventually learn something about pearls. Odviously that was a waste of time.

I will admit that it is a little suspisious for a new poster to follow up on his post so vehemently. If I posted something on a forum and 50 people jumped at me saying I was a shill and liar and a crook I'd say to my self hey these people are jerks, to hell with them and then never come back to that forum. But Sandeigoguy kept posting... kept defending his posts...like he had a reputation to protect... as a new poster he had no reputation, but perhaps as a business owner defending the reputation of his business, yes I could see that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results