shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond virgin needs some help pretty please gia vs. egl

misspolite

Rough_Rock
ok so i am looking for my ring and i have a budget of 5000 for the engagement ring all together. i cannot go over.

now i have a small finger sized at 3.5. i am looking for a simple micro pave setting and desire a round brilliant diamond sized 1.15- 1.25 ish

however my budget cannot afford a diamond that size. my budget can only afford a diamond about .80- .90 gia cert

i was looking at id jewlers stock of diamonds and it seams i can get a bigger diamond if i do egl cert, but i just have to be careful b/c the grading system is a little looser and color grades are off by 1-2 colors sometimes.

what do you think i should do. i am very new to this. i have been lurking over all the topics and find this forum soooooooo helpful.

is something like this too good to be true? :confused:

http://idjewelryonline.com/diamond_details1.php?id=44818166&shape=B&pricefrom=0&priceto=4000.00&caratfrom=1.00&caratto=1.30&colorfrom=D&colorto=H&clarfrom=VS1&clarto=SI1&polish=ANY&cert=Any&symmetry=ANY&depthfrom=&depthto=&tablefrom=&tableto=&cut=Array&item_id=

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First of all I would post this over in rocky talky.
Second, egl does not mean you are getting a better stone, you're just getting a certificate that tells you what you want to hear. Diamond people are smart. If it was going to get more money with a GIA cert, it would have gotten one. Stick with gia or AGS so at least you know what you're buying and you know the cut is top notch.

If you need size, drop down in color. ;-)

But again, either have this moved over to rocky talky or start a new thread :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond price varies a great deal with color and clarity grades.
That's why it's important to be as sure as possible of the grades.
That's why I'd only consider diamonds graded by AGS or GIA.

Like Neil said, the diamond itself is not inferior because it was graded by EGL.
It's just that the price is in question, and like all gambling, the odds are with the house.
The price seems lower, but is likely actually higher.

Diamond vendors are smart; they don't throw money away.
They make very educated decisions on which diamonds to send to EGL or GIA.
IMO, the ones send to EGL are more likely to fool the naive customer into thinking they are getting a great deal, while the dealer is actually making more money off it than it it went to GIA and got lower grades.

Don't be another sucker.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy 2nd hand?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results