carat
color
clarity

Color blind and bad eyesight need help buying sapphire, plz

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Color blind and bad eyesight need help buying sapphire,

I know this is a lot, but here's what I think and I tried to give you something to go on for each one so you know what to ask them.

I would consider the following 5 stones:

Row 3, Column 3, weight 1.32 (ask about uniformity of color to make sure it does not have zoning)
Row 12, Column 2, weight 1.71 (love the saturation, but ask about extinction and light performance as it may very well be darker in hand with the shadowing common with ovals)
Row 2, Column 2, weight 1.81 (it is not precision cut so ask about light performance and whether the photos are accurate for tone)
Row 10, Column 1, weight 1.86 (ask about the shadowing/extinction issues that happen with oval shapes - you'll find several threads on the issue if you search it here - where the optical properties of the cutting causes one half of the oval to appear lighter than the other half; if you don't mind that, then this would be a good candidate, though could be higher saturation)
Row 15, Column 2, weight 2.40 (did not like the closeup, but love the hand shot, good tone, appears from the hand shot to have good saturation, but I would ask to make sure the hand shot is representative for saturation).

I would not consider the following 12 stones:

Row 4, Column 1, weight 1.30 (extinction issues and too dark)
Row 7, Column 1, weight 1.41 (looks like it might be too dark in hand)
Row 6, Column 3, weight 1.53 (like the tone, but lacking saturation)
Row 15, Column 3, weight 1.54 (like the tone, lacking saturation, and looks glassy)
Row 7, Column 3, weight 1.57 (too dark, lacking saturation, extinction issues)
Row 16, Column 1, weight 1.60 (good tone, but lacking saturation and maybe extinction issues)
Row 26, Column 2, weight 1.88 (loved this in the closeup; disliked it on the hand. I believe it has extinction issues, but you might ask)

I hope this helps. :)) :praise:

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock

james, i just posted this stone to another thread ... the reason i didn't post it here is bc it's over your budget but it seems to meet many of your other parameters.

here it is:

http://www.rwwise.com/products/id|1877

i see violet in the video, but not so much in the still. what do you think?

James_K

Rough_Rock

minousbijoux|1371320584|3466534 said:
I know this is a lot, but here's what I think and I tried to give you something to go on for each one so you know what to ask them.

index.jpg

James_K

Rough_Rock

slksapphire: Funny enough, I have that stone bookmarked already. It is a little on the pricey side and although its not entirely unaffordable, Im trying to keep this purchase practical. In the past I havent reigned myself in as well. LOL

EDIT: If I remember correctly, I think I found the Wise stone in another topic on this website (must have been your post). Also in this topic was the following ring. If I remember right, the original poster was not too interested in it. Any feedback? I keep seeing this dark bowtie in the middle.

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-sapphire-precision-cut-258ct-blue-sapphire-cushion-cut-gorgeous-color-r4191

James_K

Rough_Rock

In addition to the ring combo above, how about this one?

1.61 ct, 7.1 x 6.5 x 4.5mm
VS clarity
nice bright blue color with lots of sparkle
a bit of color zoning, but it's more apparent in the photos than in the hand
heated
$1800 uncertified (more for AGL certification plus a wait)

I did leave out who cut this (what can I say, Im selfish and dont want someone scooping it out from under me). I hope that is okay, and not upsetting to the vendor. I will say that if you know his work, you will recognize the style of pics tho.

Again, thank you for all of the help. Hopefully you know that Im not intending to run you all ragged. I am willing to pull the trigger!

1_13.png

2_9.png

3_3.png

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock

james,

re: the dbl oval, i am seeing a dark "stripe" across each photograph, too ... it seems a little straight to be a classic bowtie but there is clearly something going on their. saturation is ok and hue is ok, too.

re: the last sapphire you posted (think it's a cushion), i would pass. it has poor saturation -- i don't think there's anything else to discuss about it.

i'll continue to keep my eyes peeled for a sapphire that meets your wish list!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Wow. I love that last stone James. Having said that, I'm a precision cut girl, and I like non-ideal colors. That stone (and I'm pretty sure I know who cut it!) is gorgeous and will sparkle like nobody's business. I'm also guessing that the body color isn't exactly apparent because the light is reflecting off the pavilion facets and making it look lighter than it is. Not sure if they'd oblige, but could you ask for a handshot?

michellechan2211

Shiny_Rock

James: I wouldn't go with the last one- although I do personally like it- because of the fact that it seems that you're looking for something more trade-ideal and the last one is lacking in saturation as slksapphire noted above.

The DBL one seems to show a bowtie so definitely not ideal in my opinion. XD;

Wish I could go through all of the Gemfix ones but am a little busy right now so this will have to do.

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium

At that price, I'd investigate that last one further. If the lack of saturation we are seeing in the photo is the zoning, and the stone really looks more the color of the side shot overall, it could be a nice one in my book.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree with the others who have said to explore the last one. I think its very pretty. Please be aware that this sapphire is much lighter in tone than the others you've been looking at, and I think some of the responses have been confusing saturation with tone. This sapphire is may be less saturated than some, but it is also just a lighter sapphire than the others you've considered. So I suggest the following: please be aware of what looks like eye visible inclusions at 6:00 and 12:00 in the straight on photo and ask about those (how visible are they in hand, whether they would cause any instability in structural integrity of the stone when setting, etc.). I would also see if you can get a hand shot from the vendor. When and if you decide to get it, you will want to mess around with it and wrap it in some foil to mimic a setting to see what it would be like when set - often sapphires of light tone, darken a bit in setting, which sometimes translates to our eye thinking its more saturated.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just a note, I'd avoid DBL for colored stones, as I've found that they are priced significantly more than *ahem* they should be.

James_K

Rough_Rock

Thanks All. Ive decided to gather more info on the last stone just in case. It seemed a little on the lighter side to me but sometimes photography can be tricky and it does look like it is well cut, plus the cutter is quite reputable. So, last night something occurred to me.....I am going to be in San Diego on sunday for a whole week. (Light Bulb ON) Gemfix is located less than a mile from where I am staying and they take appointments. Should be a good chance to see some of the stones first hand.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

James_K|1371583412|3468198 said:
Thanks All. Ive decided to gather more info on the last stone just in case. It seemed a little on the lighter side to me but sometimes photography can be tricky and it does look like it is well cut, plus the cutter is quite reputable. So, last night something occurred to me.....I am going to be in San Diego on sunday for a whole week. (Light Bulb ON) Gemfix is located less than a mile from where I am staying and they take appointments. Should be a good chance to see some of the stones first hand.

This is awesome! You will be in such good hands, and if anyone can help out a color blind person with hints as to how to "see" the color, I am sure it will be them. I know you will but please come back and let us know.

James_K

Rough_Rock

So, I tried to get more photos of the last stone but unfortunately the vendor said he could not provide them. The essential reason was that the photos represented the stone's color very well and any other shots would be in an uncalibrated system (my words there) and wouldnt represent it as well. I know that this stone is lighter than the ones I have been looking at however it did jump out at me because of how skillfully it was cut so Ive got to admit that I am a little disappointed. Other than that, no new updates. Been a super busy week and havent had much time to pursue this particular project.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well in a way I'm relieved for you. The cutting is lovely on that stone, but this time in looking at it, I was struck by how pronounced the zoning is. Granted its a magnified photo, but even so, I'd hate for you to get it and be disappointed. So I am hoping that Gemfix works out for you! The last time a PSer went to Gemfix in person, Andrew (at least I think it was Andrew) had a great number of sapphires on hand for them to see - way more than what is on their website. :cheeky:

corundum_conundrum

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Its a nice lesson in saturation nevertheless on the precision cut cushion. Thanks Minou.

Its not really that the color itself is gray (low saturation), but the zoning is showing both nice blue and an absence of color, which may give the appearance of gray overall with a quick look. So I guess it would be most appropriate to say the stone is not uniformly nicely colored (has spotty coloration) rather than just to say it is poorly saturated.

I think it still might be nice in the hand for someone, although maybe not for OP.

Is that how you size it up, Minou?

i think seeing several stones in person at gemfix, and having a chance to compare several in person, will be an ideal way to pick a stone, James.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

corundum_conundrum|1371875352|3470355 said:
Its a nice lesson in saturation nevertheless on the precision cut cushion. Thanks Minou.

Its not really that the color itself is gray (low saturation), but the zoning is showing both nice blue and an absence of color, which may give the appearance of gray overall with a quick look. So I guess it would be most appropriate to say the stone is not uniformly nicely colored (has spotty coloration) rather than just to say it is poorly saturated.

I think it still might be nice in the hand for someone, although maybe not for OP.

Is that how you size it up, Minou?

i think seeing several stones in person at gemfix, and having a chance to compare several in person, will be an ideal way to pick a stone, James.

You know, CC, I'm not exactly sure. I know that it has areas of greater coloration than other areas, which I *think* is both slightly greater saturation and darker tone. I know that I find the blue in its deepest coloration pleasing, but I also notice that the striations are pretty evident, at least at this magnification. I'm not sure that it would read as grey (though you may be right), but it would likely be inconsistent and uneven in its coloration. I personally like light toned sapphires (which by definition have lighter saturation), so I can't attribute it to poor saturation, but just that it may look, as you describe it, "spotty." HTH.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The problem with profile views of sapphires is that zoning and how it is cut can look very different face up. I've seen stones so incredibly zoned from the side view but looks fully and evenly blue from the front. In this particular case, the zoning covers a good stripe across the crown, it is too light in tone compared the OP's original request and also not saturated enough. The cut will make it an amazing sapphire nonetheless, only that I don't think this is THE one for the OP. Visiting Gemfix in person is an ideal way to get a good feel of what sapphires look like in person (the various range of colours) and see how they react under different lights.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

Oh my, a trip to gemfix would be a dream! I hope you have a fun and successful visit!

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock

James_K|1371583412|3468198 said:
So, last night something occurred to me.....I am going to be in San Diego on sunday for a whole week. (Light Bulb ON) Gemfix is located less than a mile from where I am staying and they take appointments. Should be a good chance to see some of the stones first hand.

How was the visit to Gemfix in San Diego?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results