shape
carat
color
clarity

My Sphene

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Hello! I'm pretty new to this part of Pricescope but I wanted to share my 8.16 ct oval sphene! I sent it off to Jerry Newman and he partially recut the bottom to give it 18 new pointy facets on the pavilion. I haven't set it yet but here are a few pictures: dsc_1443.jpg

dsc_1448_2.jpg

dsc_1439.jpg

Silverbackmp

Rough_Rock
Looks good; I've had Jerry cut a similar colored sphene and it turned out great. If yours is like mine you'll get some awesome Dispersion that will shame the best of diamonds. Mine shows off huge rays of red yellow orange and green. If sphene were more durable and well known, I believe it would be worth a lot more.

Be careful with it as it is a fairly soft stone.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi.

What a nice big stone. Looks great!. Are you going to make it into a pendant?

Annette

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I wanted to set it into an east west set ring but I'm saving for a setting.

Silverbackmp

Rough_Rock
I would highly recommend against a ring for sphene; it is not very hard.

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
That's a part of my hesitation as well. It would be worn on special occasions mostly so it shouldn't be a problem but I'm weighing it out!

Thuvia

Rough_Rock
I would like to share my experience with a sphene ring. I had one set north-south with small sides. (It was smaller than yours and a native cut oval.) It was made into a right hand ring and I am right handed. I didn't wear it very often but after not wearing it for a couple of years I took it out just to try it on. Well, I noticed a sizable chip even though I didn't remember knocking it against anything. I have since had it removed from the setting and recut. Now I admit I am a bit of a klutz but I would never consider setting a sphene in a ring for myself. If you do decide to make yours into a ring. I would recommend having it made for your non-dominant hand.

And to give another example of how easy it is to chip a sphene, I had a different one in a plastic bag on top of a stack (approximately 6 inches high) of paperback books. I knocked it off the stack onto a wooden side table. (Me being klutzy again.) Well, it chipped. It was a small chip, but a definite chip. I had this one repolished and it now resides in a gem box.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results