shape
carat
color
clarity

does anyone know about national gemstone?

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
i have been hunting around for rubies for a while (no worries, i am nowhere near making a purchase, just learning right now!) and came across this website.

http://www.preciousgemstones.com/forsale.html

does anyone know anything about them? i was intrigued because most of their gems for sale come with AGL prestige grading reports (not just the grades but scanned copies of actual reports), which i trust a lot more than any photograph i can see on the internet.

however, there are no return policies, etc. published.

thoughts? thanks.

ETA: i saw a few references to them in the mid-2000s on pricescope, but nothing recently.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've visited this website a few times in the past but do not know of anyone who's dealt with this company.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's Robert Genis, correct? What little I've heard has been good - that he is considered upstanding in the gem world. I enjoy some of the little articles he writes from time to time, but I know nothing about the quality of his stones. For all I know, he's had the same stones for sale for years - I just don't ever check his website!

slksapphire

Shiny_Rock
yes, it is robert genis' organization. would love to hear if any has purchased from that website. i think it's a real credit that he posts agl grading reports with each stone. although it is hard to evaluate stones based on photographs, i trust chris smith's evaluations. i wonder what his return policy is?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Call or email to find out, I suppose.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SS: he has been added back to our vendor list, above. If you find out what his return policy, can you come back and post it on this thread?

TIA

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
I thought the recommended vendors list are only for those vetted? If nobody here has experience with NG, how do we know about the following, other than knowing he is likely to be legit:
1. Colour accuracy of gems
2. Customer service
3. Review and return policy

For all we know, he may have retired. :bigsmile:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, but this was raised in another thread recently. This is a tough one, as no one is serving as the gatekeeper or arbiter for the pinned thread. I have resisted my own urge to say to people "who says you can add that vendor?' but its not my call to make. I have spent considerable time thinking about this, however, and do think that we have to have some gatekeeping ability. In the other thread, VL said that he had added some vendors, including this one in question to the thread a while ago, and was disappointed that it appeared that *someone* edited it out. I don't know who, why or when, and either does he, all we know is several disappeared. Perhaps VL should speak to this vendor. I do know that they are participators in other forums and I have not heard anything negative said about them. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but if I had my way, on the strength of one stone I would not have added one of the ebay vendors to the thread either, but thats just me.

Sorry for the novel!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
well these are concerns may of us have had. Sure I've scratched my head seeing how we went from the old recommended vendor thread which was locked and we had to ask the moderators to make changes, which, I can't recall ever having happened, to this where anyone can join PS and make an addition. This vendor in question is a vendor of long standing who, if I remember correctly was on the old locked list as well. He provides up front a lot of sound information about his holdings and AGL reports up front without being asked, which I like a lot. If I have to ask a question about heating or a report I am always already suspicious that it wasn't offered beforehand. I do notice that his inventory does not seem to turn over much. Should we hold that against him? He presents his holdings as investments maybe, rather than inventory. I dont think Gemrite has had a new stone in over three years, but no one is saying he should be removed from the list. I like the democratic list, but think we should encourage people to justify their additions and deletions. Not tell us all about the great untreated stone they got at Rube's Rubies in the Galleria, they can start their own thread for that, but, like a thesis, to defend their position to include or remove a vendor.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As this is a free and open forum, everyone should have their say without fuss, and I agree that it should be backed up with solid reasons why. The criteria should be based on receiving a stone as pictured (accurate colour and correct gem type in good condition), treated or untreated as advertised, good customer service, return & review & refund policy and whatever else. As much as I dislike the idea of a gatekeeper, it seems that one is required but perhaps the function and authority should be limited?

The same should be done with vendors that have not been active for a while. As much as I like and have dealt with Steve Perry, I have not been able to contact him and his website has not been updated for several years. Another alternative is to have a notation that the vendor has been inactive. What do you all think?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I like a free and open access, but with some customs rather than out and out rules. would it be enough to suggest that if one would like to make an addition one should first open a thread introducing the vendor, and the experience with said vendor that make one want to add them? This will give the forum members then an opportunity to ask questions, look at many photos, share their own stories generally discuss the merits. Casually and informally. I would rather see the community police this itself than put the burden on the mods again. I personally don't mind if once on the list a vendor becomes dormant. It makes a nice history of where we've been. If desired we could append the status of Vendor Emeritus for the retired or hibernating vendors. If a vendor's reputation tanks such that one might be moved to remove them, then that likely deserves its own special thread anyway. Meanwhile, I notice that beatriz flores has been accidentally dropped from the list

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think all this needs to be reposted in its own new thread. I wonder how many PSers bypass this, thinking its about NG only? This way, others will be aware of this topic and share their input. I know one poster who tried to introduce a new vendor, felt the vendor was attacked unfairly, and by extension, she felt attacked by the other posters too.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VapidLapid|1359775140|3370219 said:
I like a free and open access, but with some customs rather than out and out rules. would it be enough to suggest that if one would like to make an addition one should first open a thread introducing the vendor, and the experience with said vendor that make one want to add them? This will give the forum members then an opportunity to ask questions, look at many photos, share their own stories generally discuss the merits. Casually and informally. I would rather see the community police this itself than put the burden on the mods again. I personally don't mind if once on the list a vendor becomes dormant. It makes a nice history of where we've been. If desired we could append the status of Vendor Emeritus for the retired or hibernating vendors. If a vendor's reputation tanks such that one might be moved to remove them, then that likely deserves its own special thread anyway. Meanwhile, I notice that beatriz flores has been accidentally dropped from the list

This sounds like a great idea. I do agree that one relatively new member vetting a new vendor and wanting them added to the list makes me leery - could they be a shill? Do they know quality when they see it?, etc. I do notice that lately, newcomers have felt comfortable adding certain vendors to the list, without discussion whatsoever. I can't say that this feels good at all to me, so I like your idea of having a thread open, vetting it, talking about experience good and bad and going from there. I concur that we should keep the poor mods out of this, if possible.

CYIW

Rough_Rock
Yes when I saw anyone could add to the list I had a lot less confidence in it.

Also the vendors on the list vary so much in price, quality, image quality etc that I think the only thing I had some confidence in was their return policy and so forth (which is important but the list seems to be used for more than this).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CYIW|1359796032|3370358 said:
Also the vendors on the list vary so much in price, quality, image quality etc that I think the only thing I had some confidence in was their return policy and so forth (which is important but the list seems to be used for more than this).

That's unfortunate that that was your reaction, though I can understand it. As I'm sure you know now, it is a lot more than the return policy; its a list of upstanding vendors. Their quality level and pricing may vary, but they have been vetted by others and found (hopefully) to be knowledgable, to represent their stones accurately, conduct business in a professional manner, and be forthright in providing information, and of course, have a decent return policy...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The variation in pricing and quality are for many reasons. Not everyone wants a super top stone (different quality for different folks), and there has never been standardized pricing although there is some sort of range. For colour accuracy of the vendors' photography, the buyer vs vendor picture comparison sticky thread takes care of that.

Robert Genis

Rough_Rock
Hello Group:
Cannot believe haven't posted here since 2004. Where has all the time gone? LOL
I also realize I'm six moths late responding to this post.
The return policy has always been published on my website. It is under the on-line brochure under Guarantee. I am copying it for you.
Guarantee
"If, for any reason, you are not 100% satisfied with your gem purchase upon receipt, National Gemstone will allow seven days, from the day you receive the gem, in which you may contact National Gemstone offices for a complete refund. As a general rule, if we UPS overnight to you, you should return the stone and grading report in the same manner. You pay for the return shipping back to National Gemstone. Upon receipt of the gem and grading report being returned to National Gemstone, we will return the funds in the exact manner. If you wired funds to National Gemstone, we will immediately wire back to you. If you sent a personal check, we will immediately return a company check. In the 30 years we have been in business, we have never had one complaint lodged against the company. We take our reputation seriously. "

For those of you who think I may have retired, Richard Hughes and I were interviewed last month in the Wall Street Journal.
You can check it out here:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323372504578466933124542820.html

Lastly, we publish the Gemstone Forecaster quarterly. See all back editions here:
http://www.preciousgemstones.com/Forecasters.html

You can subscribe for free here:
http://www.preciousgemstones.com/mailinglist.html

Hope this helps.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Robert,
It is never too late. Welcome back and thank you for clarifying your business policies.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I look forward to your newsletter each quarter. I particularly appreciate the review of the gems that gained attention at the Tucson show. Its hard for those of us who don't go, to know updated infor on prices, popularity, and new gems on the market.

Of course i look at your rubies and gasp, and then dream of them later. Many thanks,

Annette

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results