shape
carat
color
clarity

What are your Pearl Holy Grails?

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I guess the thread is Show Me Your Pearls. I have to laugh, I have more photos of Pattye and 4 ranch girl in my computer with their pearls, than I do of mine. Love these beauties ladies. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Misskittycat, Those earrings would be FABULOUS with Sea of Cortez pearls, agree half drill is a must. I do hope you can find the right pearls, with the 2013 harvest available soon there will be more choices!

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Pattye|1372003221|3470920 said:
Misskittycat, Those earrings would be FABULOUS with Sea of Cortez pearls, agree half drill is a must. I do hope you can find the right pearls, with the 2013 harvest available soon there will be more choices!

La la la la la I am going to pretend I did not hear the last part of your sentence :lol: Oh goodness, I am in trouble!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
My holy grails!

100 inch freshwater rope (not to crazy but I always stop myself from buying)
Golden SS earrings
18in Tahitian rope
Multiple strand akoyas
SS tin cup necklace

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Had to Add the Baroda! I mean we are talking about holy grail : )

_7448.jpg

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Pattye|1371791214|3469822 said:
Icekid, Did you know there are only around 100 strands (full necklaces) of Sea of Cortez pearls in the world, they are so rare? :love: :love: :love:

Pattye, was this mentioned in one of Douglas' blog? How did I miss it?

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi HHPMom, :wavey:

The discussion came up on the other forum because in PEARL BUYING GUIDE by Renee Newman GG (a book I highly recommend~approx US $20) it is stated, "Cortez pearls are too rare to be used for strands." That info came from Columbia Gem House, one of 2 distributors in the US of Cortez pearls, the other being Carolyn Ehret. So Douglas McLaurin, marine biologist at Cortez Pearls, gave us a count. (I am still looking for that specific discussion.)

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Pattye|1372138280|3471854 said:
Hi HHPMom, :wavey:

The discussion came up on the other forum because in PEARL BUYING GUIDE by Renee Newman GG (a book I highly recommend~approx US $20) it is stated, "Cortez pearls are too rare to be used for strands." That info came from Columbia Gem House, one of 2 distributors in the US of Cortez pearls, the other being Carolyn Ehret. So Douglas McLaurin, marine biologist at Cortez Pearls, gave us a count. (I am still looking for that specific discussion.)

Thank you for your diligence in uncovering this information!

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
This information gathered and posted by me was current as of Aug 1, 2010 as follows:

"Carolyn Ehret is an esteemed designer......with her husband Peter, is one of only 2 authorized distributors of Cortez Pearls in the United States. Carolyn says to date she has sold approximately 48 full strands and at least 60 bracelets.

The Ehrets certainly qualify as being first and foremost members of the Cortez Pearls fan club!

UPDATE: Carolyn contacted Enrique earlier this month (referring to July 2010), Enrique being one of the partners with Douglas at Sea of Cortez Pearls, reporting this official count that "they have made a total of 52 strands, plus the 8 round perfect strands, of these we have purchased 15. So in all there are just under 100 in existence."

Likely the other (33) strands the Ehrets have sold were matched and drilled by them from baroque pearl lots."

So~3 more round strands added counting 2013. The count of baroque and keshi strands since 2010 are unknown.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Pattye|1372185218|3472123 said:
This information gathered and posted by me was current as of Aug 1, 2010 as follows:

"Carolyn Ehret is an esteemed designer......with her husband Peter, is one of only 2 authorized distributors of Cortez Pearls in the United States. Carolyn says to date she has sold approximately 48 full strands and at least 60 bracelets.

The Ehrets certainly qualify as being first and foremost members of the Cortez Pearls fan club!

UPDATE: Carolyn contacted Enrique earlier this month, Enrique being one of the partners with Douglas at Sea of Cortez Pearls, reporting this official count that "they have made a total of 52 strands, plus the 8 round perfect strands, of these we have purchased 15. So in all there are just under 100 in existence."

Likely the other (33) strands the Ehrets have sold were matched and drilled by them from baroque pearl lots."

So~3 more round strands added counting 2013. The count of baroque and keshi strands since 2010 are unknown.

Carolyn Ehrets usually has Cortez baroque and keshi strands on the bay most of the time. It is hard to know her total as of date without checking with her. In 2011 Douglas sold 2 baroque strands to P-G's LaCorsetiere and me. I don't know his 2012 baroque & keshi counts though. Maybe it's in his blog.

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
HHPmom|1372185960|3472130 said:
Pattye|1372185218|3472123 said:

UPDATE: Carolyn contacted Enrique earlier this month (July 2010), Enrique being one of the partners with Douglas at Sea of Cortez Pearls, reporting this official count that "they have made a total of 52 strands, plus the 8 round perfect strands, of these we have purchased 15. So in all there are just under 100 in existence."

Carolyn Ehrets usually has Cortez baroque and keshi strands on the bay most of the time. It is hard to know her total as of date without checking with her. In 2011 Douglas sold 2 baroque strands to P-G's LaCorsetiere and me. I don't know his 2012 baroque & keshi counts though. Maybe it's in his blog.

Sorry, need to clarify, the update was also entered in 2010, so you are correct that the information for 2011, 2012 and now 2013 are not included.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
I posted pictures of my Cortez strand, 2011-B necklace (that was what Douglas called it) in the Show Me Your Pearls thread, post # 477.
Thank you Pattye for the above clarification.

HHPmom

Brilliant_Rock
Just realized this forum has no post #. It was the number of posts that I have in this forum, 477. :lol:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Fresh off looking (drooling over) Pattye's Sea of Cortez strands... and gaining inspiration from the other lists here...

My list is now:
A strand of Sea of Cortez pearls
A long rope of baroque Tahitians (blue or peacock)
A strand of rainbow/multicoloured Tahitians
A strand of white/grey/peacock SS/Tahitian mixed baroque strand with matching Tahitian dangle earrings
A long rope or triple strand of white metallic FWP with matching earrings
A long rope of blue baroque akoyas with rose overtones
A long rope of dyed FWP with gorgeous overtone/colours
A strand or long rope of green akoyas with matching earrings
A long rope of natural grey akoyas with matching earrings
A strand of natural white akoya/hanadama (?) grade with matching earrings
A double strand of multicoloured Vietnamese akoyas
A long rope of metallic multicoloured FWPs
A strand of white SS with silver overtones
A tin cup of tahitians
A tin cup of baroque SS
A beautiful large Sea of Cortez pendant and earrings
A few more lovely pearl pendants (all varieties... Tahitians, SS, Akoyas, FWP)
A long rope or multi-strand of tahitian keshis
A strand of Pteria like this:

K, not very realistic but hey a girl can dream... :razz:

img57862165.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fun thread! I have been buying Catherine Cardellini pearls but my true want is a strand of real Kasumigaura pearls. My twin sons are stationed in Japan about 43 miles from Tokyo which is close to Lake Kasumigaura. One can hope right? I did tell them they are expensive but if they pool their money it could happen. :bigsmile:

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
redwood66|1372642439|3475064 said:
What a fun thread! I have been buying Catherine Cardellini pearls but my true want is a strand of real Kasumigaura pearls. My twin sons are stationed in Japan about 43 miles from Tokyo which is close to Lake Kasumigaura. One can hope right? I did tell them they are expensive but if they pool their money it could happen. :bigsmile:

It sure could....and then your kiddos might become couriers for your nearest and dearest friends.... :wavey:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my! I hope they can get you some. Kasumi pearls are just dreamy :twirl:

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
[/quote]It sure could....and then your kiddos might become couriers for your nearest and dearest friends.... :wavey:[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhh!! I have tracked down a couple of pairs of Sea of Cortez pearls!!

I will start a new thread so you can help me decide!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
GASP.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results