shape
carat
color
clarity

How big is too big for a ring?

Kaede

Rough_Rock
I've been admiring my fellow PS's rings and design ideas for a while now. I know that it is a matter of individual choice, but how big is too big for a ring? I've been admiring some sapphires that are 9mm X 9mm with a depth of 6mm. If I put two side stones on it, (in balance with the size of the would be center stone) it would be huge. Or at least in my drawings during staff meetings it seems huge.

So any design guide lines about how big is too big in general?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few things to consider might be:

1. finger size
2. intended use of the ring (daily? special occasions?)
3. life-style / personal preference / comfort
4. jeweler/benchman recommendations

I could and totally do rock larger colored gemstone rings, solitaires and three-stones, on my right hand middle finger (size 9) -- but many of those same ring designs I would not consider for my size 7 ring finger as either the setting would be uncomfortable/overwhelming to the point of encroaching on adjacent fingers, or just plain out of proportion (to my eyes).

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
depth is my main concern on size. I don't like a high profile so I like to keep things under 4mm so that limits my stone sizes. I wear about a 9 on my lady-finger man hands.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
It depends. I personally like really large, more cocktail type rings so the description you wrote sounds perfect for me. But it might not be for everyone.

Kaede

Rough_Rock
Ah, I hadn't thought about the stones knocking into the next door finger. I have GREAT BIG hands. My ring finger is size 10. My fingers do not look like sausages, I'm just really big. I ride a 17.3 hand horse and look like a normal size person on him. I wear Roeckl Chester Riding Glove size 10, and they are snug.

After 25 years of marriage I'm getting an e-ring. I've got $25,000.00 to spend. Would I wear the ring all the time, I don't know. I've never worn a ring. I can't see my self wearing a ring working the horses or haying. I have no desire to have my finger pulled off if it gets caught on a nail or in machinery.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaede|1371945914|3470702 said:
Ah, I hadn't thought about the stones knocking into the next door finger. I have GREAT BIG hands. My ring finger is size 10. My fingers do not look like sausages, I'm just really big. I ride a 17.3 hand horse and look like a normal size person on him. I wear Roeckl Chester Riding Glove size 10, and they are snug.

After 25 years of marriage I'm getting an e-ring. I've got $25,000.00 to spend. Would I wear the ring all the time, I don't know. I've never worn a ring. I can't see my self wearing a ring working the horses or haying. I have no desire to have my finger pulled off if it gets caught on a nail or in machinery.

if you have size 10 fingers wear as large as you can with your budget. I dont think its too big. The only thing that might make me say otherwise would be if you would feel uncomfortable with a 2ct or something in your social circle.... If thats the case, it might not be a bad idea to get a little larger and turn it into a three stone or something.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Being a horse person the only ring I wear all the time around horses is my wedding band.......a flat comfortable band with a diamond in it. "Form follows function" so given you haven't worn rings I think I'd spend a few dollars on different size rings (easily done at an Intergem show) where you can buy sterling rings with many different size stones. Just to see how you feel.......or even just trying them on at a show or jewelry store and making a note of the stone sizes. I have a few rings that are not as demure as my wedding band........and I wear them on special occasions, but not all the time. Just a way to get your fingers in the game before deciding on a stone or setting, or both.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
One of my sorority sister's mom had a 22 carat heart-shape aquamarine ring. That was too big.
I agree with digdeep, since you're not used to wearing rings, spend some time and a little bit of money on some cheapies you can wear around the house. You just never know what you'll end up loving and/or hating. I love five-stone bands, but I've never come across one comfortable enough to wear every day.
Better to spend $100 or so and find out, than $25,000 and realize you hate it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It really boils down to personal taste. That said, I do think generally speaking that engagement-type rings tend to be simpler and smaller than cocktail style rings, often focusing on one stone - either diamond or colored stone - with some embellishments, such as melee, metalwork and the like. I think of cocktail style rings as having larger stones with more ornate settings which are typically geared to making more of a statement and providing a good deal of finger coverage. If you are starting with a large stone and plan on having side stones, imo, it will likely rival many cocktail rings in appearance and size, but it sounds like you can definitely "pull off" the look. Do also keep in mind that the bigger the stone, the greater the depth, which means the higher off the finger it will sit.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always wondered if people with larger fingers are comfortable wearing larger rings! My largest fingers (well, my thumbs) are a size 6, and my ring fingers 4-5ish (depending on how they feel, you know), and my knuckle is always half a size to a full size larger than the area where the ring actually rests, so big rings are always super floppy and awkward. But then I would say it has to get above about 4 or 5 carats for that to happen. Though a 1.5-2 ct looks plenty big on my hand with most stones. But my jeweler makes these ginormous (we're talking you measure them in inches rather than mm) semiprecious stone cocktail rings with cool art-nouveauish metalwork, and these things are literally like three inches across, and I always go :shock: :shock: :shock: at them but he says the people who wear them are used to them and don't find them uncomfortable. This is kind of a rambling comment, I'm sorry. I third the suggestion to try a bunch of stuff on and see what you like.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Easy rule of thumb: Ringsize = Max Carat weight (for sapphire and most others)

E.g. Size 4 can easy accommodate 4 carats but 10 carats will look inappropriate.

Of course, as others have remarked, there are exceptions and personal tastes.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Edward Bristol|1371979100|3470851 said:

E.g. Size 4 can easy accommodate 4 carats but 10 carats will look inappropriate.

Edward,
Thanks! I'd never heard of this, but it's really kind of common sense.
Of course, your mileage may vary on the rule.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love wearing rings with large stones although per Ed's "rule", I suppose it is the appropriate size? I wear size 4.5 and sport stones that are anywhere from 1 ct all the way up to 5 carats. That said, given that you work with horses a lot, it is best to wear a plain band during those times then go all out with the ring at other times. :cheeky:

JewelPhenom

Rough_Rock
Edward Bristol|1371979100|3470851 said:

Appreciated the rule of thumb; it helped me decide to go with a pendant rather than a ring.

PinkyPie

Rough_Rock
I prefer large rings and I have tiny fingers. It's all a matter of preference and what you feel comfortable wearing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results