shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring setting for my ruby

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I like really high karat weight yellow gold for rubies to bring out the red. What is your budget? also what are you more interested in for a setting? Halo? Classic? modern? etc....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just about any and all benches can set rubies but the right one for you depends on your budget and expectations.

1. Budget?
2. Do you mind working long distance or do you have a preference to working with someone closer to you?
3. Hand forged or cast (sort of related to #1).
4. My preference is at least 18K yellow gold as it brings out the best in rubies. Do you have a preference?
5. You must have some idea of what design she likes (unless you are the intended wearer herself) and basic requirements.

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous stone!

hxs01

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the direction. Here are my thoughts:

1) budget is ideally $1000 with an upper end of $2k
2) I would really prefer to work with someone closer to me. I live in the Phoenix area, but am in the Bay Area quite a bit. I am nervous about giving the ruby to someone to work on the ring when I don't know if I will get back the same stone that I brought in.
3) I don't really understand the difference on this. Can you please explain?
4) I would like white gold.
5) I think something along the lines of image_507.jpg . Or.
image_505.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
The picture you posted is pretty much a Tiffany Legacy style halo. These types of settings are all over the place and they have subtle differences. With your budget you can definitely get a CAST version of it. Hand forged typically starts at 3k+ for the setting so I hope you don't mind if I skip over explaining what that is (google if you are curious and tons of stuff on PS will pop up).

Anyhow I can't help you if you want to stay local. You will just need to go into a few stores and see what halos they have. Tell them you want something similar to a Tiffany Legacy type of halo. Do you care what the underside/ basket looks like? I know for under 2k some of the options on PS for this type of halos is to go through Good Old Gold (NY) or IDJ (ID Jewelers- also NY) for their Gabriel and Co settings.

They have a few options in the 1-2.5k range that are close to this and are great on a budget. You would just need to specify this would be for an oval. I'm sure some local jewelers in your area have heard of them and could probably bring it in as well. http://idjewelryonline.com/index.php?cPath=95_100
This looks pretty close: http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER6958W44JJ

Some other online options are James Allen they have a CAST version I think that is around 1.2k but honestly I'm not impressed with it. The pave is sub-par but for a RHR I think it would be fine. I'm just not a fan of people recommending it for an ering. ERD also has a wonderful CAST version of this ring but I think it is closer to 2k. You might want to check with them.

Finally on CS where 1k is rather a large budget for some rings here many of us go on ebay and just get the Chinese settings sold from places like LOGR and other Chinese vendors. This will be under 1k. The settings themselves are usually lack luster so you have to pay to at least upgrade the diamonds (unless you want carbon spots), but even then they are still very budget friendly. I have several from different vendors and I think they were much better quality several years ago. It seems since gold has gone up their quality has gone down somewhat. Still just wanted to throw out that option. For a ruby I would go with a trust PS vendor or a local place over ebay- just my .02 cents.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few important questions before replying to your questions:
1. How symmetrical is your ruby? This is a very important consideration because any "off-ness" will be further amplified once bezeled.
2. Have you done the foil test to make sure the ruby looks just as good when fully bezeled and halo-ed? Cup the pavilion of the ruby completely in your hand and/or wrap it in aluminum foil to mimic a white metal bezel. If the colour is affected to the point where it bothers you, this might not be the right choice for the stone and you.
3. It will be helpful to see the profile of the design you selected. It could be very simple or ornate.
4. Have you seen an oval in this type of setting? It will be a different look and I am asking just to make sure you will be happy with this look.

Your budget is doable for a cast version.
I am not familiar with your area, hence cannot recommend anyone although I am sure there are great benches where you live. Many of us send stones that are anywhere from $100 to $30K to shops that are not local to us, but these places have been vetted as highly reputable, honest and do excellent high quality work. It is easy enough to ID your stone to make sure it is indeed yours. There are measurements to go by, facet pattern, colour and inclusions. I am sure you'll find something under the loupe and mark anything down (type and location) for your own reference. You are likely to want to do this whether using a local bench or someone long distance.

ETA
Given that this will be bezeled, there is little room for error in fit so I would avoid going with an eBay setting in this case. I am also unsure of your ruby is a calibrated size, hence you might have to consider going custom, rather than something "stock" or ready-to-go.

hxs01

Rough_Rock
Chrono,

Are there other settings that you would recommend for the type of Ruby I have? Also, who are some of the recommended jewelers who could turn a setting around fairly quickly? i.e. 1 to 2 weeks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A prong style halo is more forgiving and opens up setting / vendor options. As advised, I would see if you like any Gabriel & Co setting, then have IDJ set it for you. As SB mentioned, a local jeweller should be able to call in the G&C setting and set it for you too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results