shape
carat
color
clarity

Anything materialistic that you love MORE than bling?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our yard. Our house too, as it's sloooooly coming along. We "tour" our front/back yards twice daily, and even just tonight came up w/another idea for it. We are HUGELY house/yard proud.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
jaysonsmom|1372630337|3474953 said:
hippi_pixi|1372591246|3474678 said:
Shoes :). Not necessarily expensive ones, i love a bargain. But i can never get enough evem though i have a huge collection already. I'm well known for being a shoeaholic

Same here. My coworkers are in awe of my never-ending rotation.....I don't buy expensive shoes, the most is around $200, but I have a lot of styles and colors, and roughly 60-80 pairs at any given time.

Put me in this club.
Oh, give me shoes, lots of shoes, under starry skies above
Don't fence me in

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shoes. I still have roughly 150 pairs, but they are annoying to try to store, since most of them are still in their boxes.

My kiddo. She's a tad bit spoiled. One thing I don't skimp on as far as she's concerned is photography of her. She's going to be little for only a short period of time, and I'll be damned if I don't have photographic evidence of her baby-ness and toddler-dom to last me through the teenage years!

My soon-to-be house. Fingers crossed!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't have any materialistic passions other than diamonds. But I consider my intense love affaire with my career to be rather self-indulgent. I am a researcher and utterly obsessive about it -- when I am working on a manuscript I will often work at night, weekends, any time any place. And I love it.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Rockdiamond|1372710741|3475562 said:
SB621|1372682112|3475255 said:
Dee*Jay|1372640740|3475043 said:
SB621|1372638623|3475030 said:
Dee*Jay|1372558369|3474575 said:

EKKKK DEEJay!!! You are the one that started it!!! I need to ask you about Porsche's. I have been looking at the Gray Boxer for awhile now but won't pull the trigger till we know where we are moving next- oh yes and save up for a larger down payment. I'm so jealous! Tell me how much you love your car!>??!?!

Besides bling we travel alot. We try to do at least 1 major trip every year.

I'm not sure I *can* tell you in mere words how much I love this thing! I get up on some weekend mornings at an ungodly hour just to take it for a "spirited drive" in the lightest possible traffic on the express lanes of the highway (which are of a configuration that make it impossible for the cops to hide). I smile like a fool the whole time I'm driving it, and when I hit the accelerator this is me --> :bigsmile: There's just no substitute for PERFORMANCE. I'm sad it took me until the age of 42 to get this thing; to think, I could have been driving a Billy Ray for years now.

So tell me more about your upcoming boxter! :devil:

We hope to buy it in the next 2 years (my upgrade set us back quite a bit on my car fund). Debating between the models as I like the 2013 new body style the best but don't mind the 2009-2012 version either. Do you mind contacting me offline. I would love to hear about your buying experience etc and if you purchased from a Porchse dealer vs a luxury car dealer etc. Do you mind? I have some listeining up on LT to email me.

Thank you!

HI SB- my modus operandi on Porsches has been buying from the Porsche dealer- but I only buy super low mileage CPO cars.
My Boxster had about 1500 miles- and my Carrera had only 900 on it when I bought them.
It takes some searching- and some time, but you can save a tremendous amount over buying a brand new one.
Dealerships won't offer CPO cars that have a "history" in my experience. When you buy a CPO Porsche it's got the same warrantee as a new one (iirc)
Cars that have been in accidents or have had other problems usually go to the "luxury" used car dealers- I'd stay away from those

Thank you David! We have a Porsche dealer local but I hate it when people don't take me seriously- so I would rather take my business elsewhere plus it was tiny. The next closest Porsche dealership is about 3 hours away. Most of the used cars they had were years older then what I was looking for so I guess I will need to be patient.

Yes DJ!! I got your email and responded!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
If I had a house we actually spent more then 2.5 years in I could definitely see myself loving it more then bling etc. But since we move so often I find it is best not to get attached to where I live and the things in it. It is so frustrating to buy furniture for 1 house to just move 2 years later and have it not fit into the next house. I have completely given up on making my house a home. The only places in our house that we really go to the 9's is our bedrooms (master + kids).

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pooh on those stuck up Porsche salesmen SB- ( somehow I feel sure they were male)
Unfortunately I've encountered them as well.
I'd use the Porsche site and search far and wide.
I did drive more than 3 hours to look at CPO cars.
Try this link- then click the pre-owned car locator.
http://www.porsche.com/usa/approvedused/usedcarlocator/allmodels/

Shopping for a car like this is so much fun!!
You can call the dealers ahead of time and eliminate the snobby sounding ones. Get them to send pics
Another big plus is that you'll have more negotiating power on a CPO.
There's a Yellow S model with 389 miles in Atlanta.
If I didn't have the amazing gift of needing car seats, I'd be so on one myself:)

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
SB, I can sort of relate. My husband isn't in the military like yours (right?), but we have moved fairly often. We've been married 5 years, together almost 10, and the longest we've lived anywhere has been 3.5 years. I actually hate moving but you wouldn't know it. I do get attached to most of the places we've lived though.

To answer the original question, I have a few pieces of art that were done by local artists, and I love them. Some remind me of trips we've taken or places we've seen, and others are just done in a certain style I like.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D said:
I don't have any materialistic passions other than diamonds. But I consider my intense love affaire with my career to be rather self-indulgent. I am a researcher and utterly obsessive about it -- when I am working on a manuscript I will often work at night, weekends, any time any place. And I love it.

This is just awesome. I really like my job but I definitely would not consider it a love affair. I'm so happy there are people out there who get to do what they love.

I might be able to say the same if my career were helping the quite wealthy make their philanthropic investments and curate their jewelry collection. That would be a job I would thrill to do everyday. :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rosebloom|1372809814|3476290 said:
Dreamer_D said:

This is just awesome. I really like my job but I definitely would not consider it a love affair. I'm so happy there are people out there who get to do what they love.

I might be able to say the same if my career were helping the quite wealthy make their philanthropic investments and curate their jewelry collection. That would be a job I would thrill to do everyday. :)

I am very lucky to have both identified a job that requires the types of activities that I find intrinsically pleasurable, and managed to be gainfully employed in that very job.

But, obsession is obsession and has an upside and a downside whether its work-related or material! Just as sating the bling obsession can require sacrifices in other areas of one's life -- it can lead to conflict in marriage, or over-spending, or forgoing other opportunities that cost money, or too much time on ebay or Pricescope -- sating a work obsession can also require sacrifices. Like 12 years of higher education, two years on a post-doc, moving one's family accross the country, losing touch with all your best friends from school because you all ended up spread accross the globe :blackeye: . I think there are common themes, good and bad, in any obsession!

I think if I had more disposable income, both now and growing up, I would have more material obsessions for sure. Stuff is nice!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results