shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kittykat

Shiny_Rock
Some of you may have read my post about being obsessed and dissapointed with my appraisal which was an AGS stating my center stone is I2 M. I''m working out the dissapointment pretty well, but still sort of obsessing. I''ve done some research on Pricescope regarding color and according to what I see in my diamond (I realize I''m not a jeweler or appraiser) the M rating seems pretty off. The only time my ring appears slightly yellowish is in bright sunlight. If I put it up against anything white-such as a piece of paper or the box it came in, it looks pretty white. It''s not flaming white, but white enough. Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge they can share? I do also realize that appraisals are subjective, but M seems pretty off.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe what you need is a second opinion? That is, a second independent appraisal if possible? I doubt if very many of us except maybe the experts could eyeball the color...and then again, probably not since any pictures would be subject to lighting conditions, etc. If it really bothers you, I would probably go for a second opinion.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kittykat,

When you describe your appraisal as an AGS, do you mean a lab report issued by AGS lab or an appraiser affiliated with an AGS store? It''s always possible for any of us to make an error but AGS lab enjoys a pretty good reputation, as do most AGS stores. Have you discussed your concern with your appraiser? If not, you should do so. Pperhaps they would be willing to rexamine the stone.

M color is still pretty white. You may simply have skewed expectations because they are more unusual in the market than G-H-I and you haven''t seen as many. You may also have seen stones that were graded as G-H-I that, in fact, diserved to be lower.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

kittykat

Shiny_Rock
It was actually an appraisal conducted by an AGS certified appraiser. I did take it there for an appraisal because of it''s reputaion. I suppose I should discuss it with them, but for some reason I''m a litle embarrassed to challenge an experienced appraiser.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/23/2005 6:57:31 PM
Author: kittykat
It was actually an appraisal conducted by an AGS certified appraiser. I did take it there for an appraisal because of it''s reputaion. I suppose I should discuss it with them, but for some reason I''m a litle embarrassed to challenge an experienced appraiser.
If they made a mistake, they will want the opportunity to make it right. If they didn''t, they will appreciate the opportunity to defend their reputation. Either way they should be pretty easy to get along with.
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

kittykat

Shiny_Rock
Maybe it is a case of a well cut M stone because the appraisal did state specs that do make it well cut

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
As an AGS IGCA independent lab I would hope any client with any concerns would bring it to my attention. Go back to your original appraiser and just ask to have the color double checked. Oftentimes I show the clients their stone against my master so they are convinced of the color grade. Stones can often look better than what they are. I have been surprised many times thinking a stone is very white and the actual color, once I start using the comparison master diamonds is much lower than it visually appears. Lighting is a big thing here....Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results