shape
carat
color
clarity

Classic cluster reproduction with d.blue aquamarine?

Hi folks,

Thanks for having me here. I am thrilled to have your input. I am on a quest to find a jeweller who can make an almost exact reproduction of this antique ring using the following specs:

Centre-stone: an intensely dark aquamarine
Cut: princess or cushion, old european (by the famed J. L. White, hopefully?)
Caret: 2.6?
Metal: 14k white gold or platinum depending on pricing
Accent: with one tiny red garnet somewhere under the shank or inside the ring or somewhere else other than the main gallery.
Type: engagement ring

http://www.romanovrussia.com/Antique_Engagement_Ring_Vintage_Sapphire_Diamond.html#.UV03g6sjqFc

I would be happy to go for a 1.3 or 2 ct and a smaller ring in order to make this possible.

I am hopeful that this ring will come under my rather tight budget, say, under $1,000 if possible (...). Any idea, thought, or input? Jokes (on me, supposedly)?

Thanks,
A

ON, Canada

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Many thanks for the comment! I think you're right that the size/weight of the diamonds alone would put the cost over my budget. Instead of an exact replica, I am entirely open to downsizing; perhaps even one or two sizes down from what it is in the photo.

The mounting, however, is what I am really after. :twirl:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I also think it will be hard to do in your budget. I am not very familiar with various vendors and what kind of stock settings they carry, maybe there is something like this one. That question may get more responses in RockyTalky. My guess, though, is that you may have to go custom. Even if you go through an affordable jeweler like DanielM on Etsy, the gold and labor will eat up a significant amount of your budget right away.

Also, are you sure you can find a deep blue color aquamarine? That may be pricey too. And aquas aren't very durable stones, not too fit for an engagement ring (they can chip). You could post a question in the Colored Stones subforum and see if the experts there can direct you to an affordable and durable stone.

I think you could try monitoring ebay for true vintage rings of this style. That way you don't have to pay for a custom setting. It may take a little while and you may have to increase your budget a little, but with time and patience, you may find something close to what you're looking for.

Good luck in your search!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Is there a specific reason you chose aquamarine over sapphire like in the original? I am also leary of you being able to find a dark colored aqua, especially for your budget. As far as the setting, it's possible that if you go the CAD route you may be able to get under budget but I am not sure on factoring in the cost of the halo melee.

It seems Birks might be able to help. http://www.birks.com/en/5000627579

Do you think they would customise it to be like the project ring? An aquamarine and a size garnet below the gallery like Birks' own signature?

And a local jeweller also said she would be happy to help. What kind of question should I ask her? The project ring isn't too complicated a design. And key questions she is asking me are: source of the aquamarine and ring size.

Would you recommend that I get the centre stone from Jeff White? 1.6 or 2.6 ct?

Any thought?

I've found a reputed jeweller for the ring for around 1,500 without the aquamarine. What do you think? Any suggestion for excellent loose gem dealers?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
aquamarineantiquecluster|1365456757|3422797 said:
I've found a reputed jeweller for the ring for around 1,500 without the aquamarine. What do you think? Any suggestion for excellent loose gem dealers?

You might want to ask about loose gems in the "Colored Stones" subforum of PriceScope.

Thanks for your help so far! I've purchased a Santa Maria aquamarine. It should arrive in a week.

Now I am deciding between going for a custom at Birks (with a 2000$ budget ... or some sort of payment plan) or a custom ring by a designer at Etsy.

Given my budget (1500-2000$), I don't expect the diamonds to be big around the halo. Perhaps 2-3mm would be fine. The aqua is 8x10 mm. So the ring might get a little sizable in no time if the diamond halo gets any larger.

My question then is, If a custom Birks might be the way to go.

Thanks!

The e-ring in hand-made platinum setting, 14 x natural diamonds, with a Santa Maria aquamarine.

t-e-ring.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! Who did you end up going through to design the setting?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results