shape
carat
color
clarity

How does one go about finding a beader?

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Title says it all. I'm eying some pearls that need to be strung and I'm not up to the task right now. They're not "practice pearl" quality. How do you find someone to do it?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Google to find beading supplies stores in your area.

Many of these store owners could string your pearls for you, and you would not have to mail them anywhere.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have a couple of local jewelers who have staff members who will do it. In both cases, they had beaded strands in their shops, which gave me a big hint.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
Call around to your local jewelry stores. Are you looking for double strands of silk with knots between each pearl and bullion at the clasp? Prices are all over the place and you have to know what to ask for or you may get something you're not expecting.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
NacreLover|1370981527|3463628 said:
Call around to your local jewelry stores. Are you looking for double strands of silk with knots between each pearl and bullion at the clasp? Prices are all over the place and you have to know what to ask for or you may get something you're not expecting.

Perfect. Thank you. Yes, I want them to be strung in exactly that way. I wouldn't have thought to ask.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
I'll be interested to hear the quote you get. I have a triple strand I've been wearing for a few years, bought in Hong Kong. They only knotted between the last 4 or 5 pearls on each strand and the silk has stretched. I wanted to get it restrung, nicely, and the jeweler I trust quoted a ridiculous price per inch (times three strands). It would cost close to price of the necklace! I'm holding off (the jeweler recommended waiting a year because they're okay for now) but if this baby breaks -- all but the end pearls flow to the street, probs lost forever ... (I should probably learn how to string at some point.......).

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
It's not uncommon to pay $45.00 to have a 20" strand restrung. You may find it cheaper or more expensive depending if they do it in house or send it out for restringing. Most jewelers don't do this repair.

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
Times 3 for a triple strand, or more for a long rope = OUCH!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes.

I do have a pearler in town but I knew his prices would be over the freaking top. I called two bead shops and am waiting to hear back. I'll keep you posted!

alice87

Shiny_Rock
I started doing it myself. I'd rather have 40 dollars spend on pearls when on restringing. Or even more than 40. I waisted several silk pouches, but with every try it is getting better. The only problem it is hard to find supplies, because Joann and Michael's don't really have much choice for pearls stringing. And shopping online cost a lot in shipping fee, without being able to look at the quality first. I found Seattle jewelry supply store yesterday and they have some better staff than Joann or Michael's, and I can look at it. I've got silk and some expensive needles! Will try.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
This is why I learned how to do it myself. I was having to have my Tahitian strand restrung every 3-4 months and our restringer at work was in another state . With registered mail charges and insurance the cost was around $80.00.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Artbeads has free shipping for orders $10 and over.

I was quoted $68 for restringing an 18 inch strand, so I began doing it myself.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
They just called back. They said it would be about a $1 a pearl plus whatever the finishing costs-as in, how elaborate I wanted it to be. They also offered a private class. I'm wondering if I should go that route, or just teach myself from youtube.

Those who have BTDT, I'm not crafty. Will I be better off with 1:1 support, or is it really not necessary?

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover -- why did you have to have your Tahitians restrung every 3 to 4 months?! I've never had a pearl necklace restrung to date -- so that statistic scared me! But one of my necklaces is going to need restringing sooner rather than later.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
bsomlo|1371239477|3465938 said:
NacreLover -- why did you have to have your Tahitians restrung every 3 to 4 months?! I've never had a pearl necklace restrung to date -- so that statistic scared me! But one of my necklaces is going to need restringing sooner rather than later.

I was sticking my fingers in my ears and "la la la-ing" that hoping against hope that she meant years.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
NL's pearls are Klonks :mrgreen: beautiful Klonks :mrgreen:

bsomlo

Ideal_Rock
NacreLover -- thanks for the links. I watched the video and it's not quite as intimidating as I feared.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs. Taylor, I restrung 2 necklaces this afternoon. You can do it!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
I watched the video which shows the instructor teaching a new to stringing pearls student how to do it. The DVD is very good and you can back it up of you need to. The kit does come with tools, the Tricord knotter, silk, needles and french wire and the instructional DVD. The top of the lid of the kit has a necklace holder for your beads. The kit can hold more strands of silk so it's perfect as you will need black or other colors for your collection.

Rio has more sizes of silk and french wire, you will need them if you do other sizes of pearl necklaces. Their prices are reasonable and they have a great selection of findings and tools. You don't need a business license to buy there but will need an account.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results