shape
carat
color
clarity

2 of my family heirloom pieces

blingymo

Shiny_Rock
While I was posting my OEC in SMTB, I thought I would share these also. My mother had these necklaces - I think they belonged to her aunt (I've asked and For some reason, it just doesn't stick in my head who it came from - weird). She does not like vintage jewelry and wanted to reset the stones. I told her that would be a crime, so she gave them to me. The first one is amethyst and little pearls. The second has tiny diamonds. I used to think that it was tarnished (doesn't polish) or gold plated that wore off, but now I have seen something called green gold combined with the higher karat bright yellow gold, so I think maybe that is what is used in this piece. Anyone have any insight?

dscf1136.jpg

dscf1094.jpg

dscf1113.jpg

dscf1098.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh MY!!! I love them both!!! wow!!! you are super dooper lucky to have been gifted both those treasures!! WOW!! I love the amethyst but I am really drawn to the gold flower necklace - that is incredible! the detail is amazing... WOW!!

Lucky you!! :appl:

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Love them Blingy! Especially the flowers, so pretty!

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
I love both of your antique necklaces! I am a big fan of the Mississippi River pearls that your amethyst necklace has! Beautiful! Enjoy both of them. :love: :love:

blingymo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Enerchi, Gem, and Ziggy. I really love having them! Ziggy, thanks for the info - I've never heard of Mississippi River pearls. Can you tell me anything else about them?

I want to start some jewelry traditions in regards to handing them down to my daughter. I am about to give her (for her 19th birthday) the amethyst ring that my husband gave me for my 19th birthday, as well as the earrings he gave me the following Christmas.

This is my grandmother's ering, with a 1926 engraving. My mother passed it to me on my 40th birthday, and I will do the same with my daughter. (Sorry, bad pic)

dscf1117.jpg

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
I'm no expert, but own several River pearl pieces from this period. They were pearls that were found in mussels once common in freshwater
lakes and rivers in Eastern United States. I think they were used quite often in Art Nouveau pieces late 1800s early 1900s.They are special because of their shapes I think!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Love both of them but especially the flowery diamond one!!!! What special pieces! :love:

blingymo

Shiny_Rock
bbziggy|1369694163|3454685 said:
I'm no expert, but own several River pearl pieces from this period. They were pearls that were found in mussels once common in freshwater
lakes and rivers in Eastern United States. I think they were used quite often in Art Nouveau pieces late 1800s early 1900s.They are special because of their shapes I think!

Huh. Thanks for the info. I always wondered about them as they seem to be wrapped into the gold. I don't know how to explain the way they are set. I think the piece is so pretty though.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful pieces, Blingy! :love:

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh Blingymo you lucky duck you!!! Love both of your necklaces and that ering is gorgeous :love: :love: :love: Of interest about your pearl and amethyst necklace, I read a article not too long ago about north american river pearls that I will try to find and link for you . It was pretty informative and I believe from a reputable source , it seems there was a north american pearl rush back in the day with some of them even finding there way into the crown jewels. Apparently now they are rare and I believe illegal to harvest in some places because of a few reasons, over harvesting in the past, invasive zebra mussels and also mussels are very sensitive to pollutants and many species have died out because of our polluted waterways. :blackeye: Anyway, if I find it I will post, it will give me a good reason to come back and look at your lovely heirlooms :wavey:

blingymo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks artdecogirl. It is fun to finally know what they are!

I need to take the diamond one to have the chain lengthened. I don't like where it hits me. Also, the nub on the clasp that you pull back to attach it is worn down to practically nothing.

Diamondless

Rough_Rock
That second one is amazing! I love buttercup settings. :D

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely collection!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find myself coming back daily to look at these necklaces!! I am really drawn to them both (probably the gold one more... but I am loving the amethyst...)

Do you have any more history on either one?? they are amazing pieces - I wish you great joy when you wear them!! Fantastic family heirlooms!

blingymo

Shiny_Rock
Buttercup. Didn't know that either. I love vintage jewelry but don't know too much about it.

Enerchi, I don't know anything else, but I will ask my mom again (she's going to think I'm losing it). I'll update if I can find out a rough date. I know they were both bought in Philadelphia, and I can check the boxes for the jeweler name.

I also have a pearl ring in a gorgeous, delicate gold setting. I will have to take a picture of that one to post.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What lovely heirloom necklaces. I also especially love the floral necklace and the ring....do you wear them often? What a special group to pass on to your daughter some day!

blingymo

Shiny_Rock
I asked my mom who the necklaces belonged to. The amethyst one belonged to her grandmother. Given that MY grandparents got engaged in 1926 and were on the older side, that could possibly date the necklace at late 1800s. She needs to see the gold/diamond necklace to remember about that one.

I wear all the pieces occasionally. I need to lengthen the chains on both necklaces and fix the prongs on the lower diamond, and I think then I would wear them more. The ering is tiny! - a pinkie ring for me, and I don't wear it to much because I am not very comfortable with a ring on my right hand pinkie. I don't like the way it looks with my wrings on my left hand. It can't be sized.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second necklace stole my breathe away. Just spectacular! :love:

styringca

Rough_Rock
Yes, the topaz necklace is terrific.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Just lovely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results