shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this dress too young looking?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in my early 40s - and using it to go to a daytime wedding.

http://www.bcbg.com/Lorenna-Lace-Cocktail-Dress/LYM6T189-019,default,pd.html?dwvar_LYM6T189-019_color=019&cgid=dresses-by-category-cocktail#start=81

What do you think?

And if it IS too young, what makes it too young?

I'd love your opinions!

(I've been meaning to post in the other thread about dressing "our age" - my style is mostly about wearing what looks good on me, but there ARE certain things I've stopped wearing: jeans with holes, jeans with extreme whisking or very light washes, jeans with any type of bling whatsoever on the back pockets, backless anything, sleeves with cutouts, t-shirts that say anything...and for the most part I think I look appropriate except that I WILL wear tight jeans (they're dark wash) and I have recently worn leather-looking skinny jeans - I just pair them with a more conservative top like a button down shirt...because even though I'm careful to not look like I'm trying to look like I'm 20 I do like to look somewhat trendy...)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it's perfectly fine (of course, I'm pretty short, so on me, that dress would be to my knees!). It's really pretty! By the way, I just passed the 40 mile mark and I don't think that post 40 equates to "not trendy". Like you said, there are plenty of ways to be trendy while still age appropriate...

Have fun at the wedding!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I (as usual!) agree with Yenny! The dress is very pretty and I think would be great for a wedding. Totally age appropriate!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful, and perfectly appropriate if you can carry off that skirt length (which I assume is the case).

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
It's a lovely dress, and totally age appropriate as long as it fits properly. In my experience, it's less about what you wear than how you wear it. I work with women who are well into their sixties and still sporting 'on trend' looks that veer away from the too short/too tight trap that most of us fall into at some point in our youth.

Wear it and have a blast!

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
The dress is perfect. Classic, yet edgy. Have fun!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Agree. It's very pretty, love the lines. As long as it fits well, isn't too tight, and, ohhh lucky you, you have the legs for it, it's great! Have a blast.

--- Laurie

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks great! If you're worried about too much skin, you can always wear a shawl or cardigan, but I think it is pretty adorable, regardless of the age.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like it! As long as it fit well, I'd wear it.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in my 50's and I would wear it.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, ladies, I appreciate your feedback, and I'm so glad to hear you think it will be OK!

The dress comes slightly above my knees so I don't think anybody would think it's too short. And it does look good on me, it fits well.

Now, here's the big "but"...

I don't have the legs for it. Never had the legs for it - not when I was younger, not now. My legs are not super toned and I have spider veins in a few areas...so I hardly ever wear anything but jeans...or pants...and hardly ever wear dresses, or shorts for the same reason. But sometimes I get a surge of "brave" and I give in to buying a dress...and DH likes it...but I don't think he's the best judge, he doesn't notice things to the extent I do.

And I don't like maxi dresses, either...on anybody, not just me...

So now that you know this piece - what would you advise me to do? It feels like there aren't that many choices - either a wear it and "grin and bear the legs factor" or what? A pant suit? On a hot summer day ;( that seems so not fashionable/appropriate...

Regardless of everything I just said, I really do want your honest opinions - even if they are that I should not wear it...I mean I can wear a pair of black slacks and pair it with a dressy top if I have to. Still not very summery feeling, but it might do...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you wear sheer black hose? If they are sheer enough I think they won't look too "heavy," and they will hide a multitude of issues. Plus, nylons add a bit of fake toning, so that's always a plus!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the dress. If you are worried about your legs get a spray tan a few days ahead of the wedding Problem solved!!!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay - that is one option I had not thought of...I might have a pair lying around somewhere to see how they look with the dress. But as I say that I'm realizing I plan on wearing peep toe shoes so that won't work :sick:

Kaleigh - I actually did that the last time I wore a dress to a wedding (last year or 2 years ago I think) and it really did help. The only thing I didn't like is that even thought I went really really really light on the coverage in pictures it looked very obvious that only my legs were tan and not my upper body of face. But, I've got to choose one evil I guess...or maybe I could ask the tech to do just one pass...

Thanks for the suggestions I appreciate it so much!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Just spray tan your whole body.

The dress is beautiful, and very appropriate.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It' a beautiful dress and also age appropriate.

If you wear fabulous shoes and pretty nail polish for the peep toes, nobody will notice your legs while you're standing up. Drape a shawl or light sweater over the top of your legs if think you'll be uncomfortable while sitting without a table covering them.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Personally, pantyhose are a big no for me, especially for a summer day time wedding. Go out and buy yourself some moisturizing, gradual sunless tanning lotion. Spray tans don't work for me, so unless you have prior experience with them, it's not something I would risk for a big event. Use your sunless tanner about every other day for a couple of weeks before the wedding on your whole body (not just legs).

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
The dress is cute.

I am "not young", my legs are my worst feature (understatement),
and when I wear a shorter dress I always wear hose.
Since I am older, I don't think anyone will make a mention
that I don't have "bare legs" like a much younger gal :sun:
And I make sure to wear killer heels.

So actually, I end up feeling really good about myself and that's the most
important thing.
The only person who needs to "judge" you, is you !!!!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
qtiekiki - Yes, if I decide to go that route, I'd definitely do that this time so I don't like a weird ghost ::)

mary poppins - That is such an awesome idea I can't thank you enough! Yes, when I sit the dress pulls up and you can see the spider veins on the inside of my thigh :blackeye: so it will be great to have something that I can casually throw over my legs. This will really help me feel more comfortable. Thank you! Oh - and I DEFINITELY plan on wearing really pretty nail polish and fab shoes! Definitely important no matter what but more important when you don't have great legs!

momhappy - of course color from any method would help these legs! So thank you for the idea...I'm just not a big fan of self tanners mostly because I'm too lazy and don't have the patience to apply it correctly :rodent: I think the spray tanning works better for me...(yes, I had it done one time previously and it looked really nice)

Shiney - unfortunately, I judge myself pretty harshly! But yes, I can see how hose can really help - it's kind of like a slight tan...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's perfect.
Great choice!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is perfectly age appropriate if you are happy bearing your arms! It will be flattering to your shape, its not too exposing or "trendy" and I love the pattern and style. To me, that's what matters.

ETA: The legs thing... I think if you buy very high quality nude stockings you are ok, just change the shoe option. Beyonce wears nude stockings with all her little outfits on stage to keep everything locked and loaded. There are sheers with really high quality fabrics and a touch of shimmer than could work.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
mary poppins|1370299897|3458449 said:
It' a beautiful dress and also age appropriate.

If you wear fabulous shoes and pretty nail polish for the peep toes, nobody will notice your legs while you're standing up. Drape a shawl or light sweater over the top of your legs if think you'll be uncomfortable while sitting without a table covering them.

That is a great tip and I am making note :read:

NTave

Shiny_Rock
BCBGs run short...depends on where it hits you lengthwise.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if they still make them, but I used to buy toeless panty hose. Doesn't work with strappy sandals, but it's fabulous for peep toes.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I think that dress is just gorgeous, very classy and not 'too young' at all. I imagine it would suit women nearly across the board in terms of age.

A gradual lotion-based self tanner would do wonders for the legs, but very sheer black hose would also look great with that particular dress.

In fact, I found about 6 dresses on there that I want now! This thread was not good for my bank account... :errrr:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally I'd go with a good quality sheer hose in nude. I'm not sure they make the toeless anymore, and I found them kind of uncomfortable anyway... but if you can find them, they'd definitely do the job with peep-toe shoes. A very very nice quality, very sheer hose in black would also work.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The dress is lovely and as long as it isnt too short or tight it would be fine for any age really. I suggest sheer nude tights underneath and take a blazer or cardi if you are feeling a bit exposed. :appl:

Other alternative could be some crisp white linen pants and sparkly colourful top? With heels and appropriate jewels it can still look very dressy.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1370304523|3458495 said:
I think it is perfectly age appropriate if you are happy bearing your arms! It will be flattering to your shape, its not too exposing or "trendy" and I love the pattern and style. To me, that's what matters.

ETA: The legs thing... I think if you buy very high quality nude stockings you are ok, just change the shoe option. Beyonce wears nude stockings with all her little outfits on stage to keep everything locked and loaded. There are sheers with really high quality fabrics and a touch of shimmer than could work.

Hi,
I recently turned 40 and think the dress is really cute and works for pretty much any age, though, will agree with Dreamer about the bearing of arms. If you have the arms to pull the dress off, then go for it. There's a much more great chance your arms will be looked at then your legs and a shawl is an excellent alternative. I might be bias, though, because I've become obsessed with arms lately and that is what I notice first (mostly because mine became a bit mushy and I've been lifting weights to tone them up).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll respond more carefully to everyone later...but just wanted to say...

I am totally open to trying sheer pantyhose to see how it looks. I don't know that I'll like it, but I'm willing to try. I'd have to buy a pair of shoes then because I don't have any closed toe pumps I'd want to wear with this dress.

Question is - what is a "good quality" pantyhose? What do I look for? Any specific brands?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results